Moving into a relationship

• Please log in to reply
787 replies to this topic

#49 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:42 PM

Thanks, PT. Knowing how you feel about your horse racing, I consider that a real compliment.

Today was pretty much spent waiting in lines. I hate to play the spoiled, whiny American, but ... my God. Because Filipinos don't use checks (at least not where I am), we go to the local offices to pay the bills, and they are almost always crowded. Today we went downtown to pay the internet bill, which took about 45 minutes because it was packed. We then walked over to pay the electric bill, which was not too bad. Some bills, like the internet one, can be payed on line, but I have to wait those 45 days for my American bank check to clear in Angel's account. I'll start depositing my checks monthly, so after that initial waiting period, we should be okay. Maybe. I've learned not to take anything for granted here. The department stores are driving me nuts too. The other day I went to buy running shoes. I asked if they had my size in a particular model. I'm not kidding when I tell you that at least 15 minutes went by before she returned with a negative answer. I then asked about a different model. Another 15 minutes before success. I don't think that there is any method involved in the stocking of their goods. Whenever I pick out an item to purchase, the clerk takes the merchandise, disappears for a few minutes, and comes back with a slip of paper that I am to present at the register. There were bar codes on the products, and bar code scanners at the registers. The girl seems to scan the bar code, but also punches in whatever the salesperson wrote on the slip (sometimes sending an associate to find the clerk to clarify what she wrote down).
Ah, what the hell am I bitching about. I'm here with a beautiful young women who seems to really care for me, who cooks great meals for me, and who treats me with love in every thing we do, and I'm complaining about a few minutes of inconvenience. F**kin' ugly American.
Actually living the dream.

#50 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:08 PM

I hate to rub it in Mac, but here's a photo from one of the local DMV's here in the U.S. :sleep: :sleep:

See what you're missing?

Attached Files

• Attached File  dmv.jpg   130.23KB   439 downloads

Nix

#51 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:57 PM

Tip top stuff here Mac, keep it up!

At least the cable guy turned up.... ;-)
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#52 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:27 AM

Thanks, Petesie. And thanks for keeping the thread in this section. Having cable allows me to get a little taste of home. Yesterday at lunch, Angel asked me if I'm homesick. Having never been away from her family and friends for any length of time, it's hard to explain the concept to her. Until she flew to Manila to meet me at the airport last October, she had never been on a plane. She had never left the Philippines until we spent last Valentine's Day in Hong Kong. She's a very outgoing type of person, so she has literally hundreds of friends and acquaintances. In February, when we were talking about my moving here, I was trying to explain homesickness. I said, "Just imagine if ...," and started listing people to whom she's close, starting with her little goddaughter. She became upset because I think she thought I was looking for a way out of my commitment. She said, "So don't transfer here then," and we had our first fight. After we made up, I told her that she was going to have to let me vent my feelings to her about things like that from time to time. After all, I feel that she's my friend as well as my lover. I'm okay now, but glimpses of home on TV will probably bring me to tears later on.

Surin, you're right and you're wrong. First of all, most of that Department of Motor Vehicle business can be done on line. I went to renew my license last February in White Plains, NY. It was easily as crowded as the one pictured here, but I was in and out in 15 minutes. They were so efficient that I was shocked. I hadn't been to a DMV office in many years, so I was amazed at what modern technology has done to speed up those types of procedures. More to the point, after my whiny rant last night, I'm going to make an effort to go with the flow. When faced with situations like the bill-paying yesterday, I've been finding myself saying to Angel, "You know, in the U.S., blah, blah, blah...." I've got to stop doing that. I know how annoying it can be. I'm here with someone I love. That should be enough.

I'm going to stay home alone tonight, and catch up on some reading. It seems that the Filipino people are enamored with pageants (or at least the female, gay and transgendered ones are). One of Angel's LB friends is in a pageant tonight. I asked her if she'd be upset if I didn't go. "Of course not, my love. You can just stay home." It's a good thing too, because I'll have to go to one tomorrow night; this one involving gg's. The girl who played cards with us and went ziplining the other day is in it. Angel said I didn't have to go, but I promised her friend I would. It might be fun. Her friend is a very upbeat, outgoing, outrageous and funny girl, and I get along well with her boyfriend. It'll be different, that's for sure. My first pageant.

Well, Angel's still sleeping. I think I'll go for my walk before it gets too hot.

Macman

#53 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

Are you even over your jetlag yet?

It takes me a full week in LOS....and during the adjustment period, as much as i want to have a good time, it really messes with my mind and mood.
Nix

#54 jayarr

jayarr
  • Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:03 AM

can't remember if you touched on this. is there a language barrier?

#55 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

Well firstly, best of luck. Any relationship IMHO is always full of challenges and I would take it one at a time.
Given the Filipino culture and languages spoken there I'll stick my neck out and say that you're better off in the Philippines than Thailand. On average the communication ought to be better and that'll go a fair way in maintaining the relationship.
Cheers

Most Filipinos speak English, and are keen on western culture, as mentioned earlier by singdick.

#56 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:48 PM

I didn't have any jetlag, Surin. My flight left JFK in NY at 1:20 in the morning. I had gotten up early, and was very tired, but I forced myself to stay awake until what was 8:00 AM by my watch, but 8:00 PM at my destination. I have a hard time sleeping on planes anyway, so I popped an Ambien, something I try to do only sparingly. I got about 5 hours sleep that way. After a layover in Hong Kong, I arrived in Cebu at 11:30 in the morning, Philippine time. By the time I got my baggage, and cleared customs and immigration, it was after 12. Angel met me at the airport. She had made a reservation for us at the Mango Park Hotel. I was dying to take a nap, but didn't. We had lunch, and walked around for a while. After dinner, we hit the sack fairly early. When I woke up the next morning, I was on track; a little tired but on the local time schedule.

Rxpharm is correct, jayarr. In the Philippines, most people can speak English with varying degrees of proficiency. Angel told me that all science classes are taught in English here. In this area, everyone speaks 3 languages: Tagalog, English and Bisaya, which is similar to Cebuano. When Angel and I go to church on Sundays, we go to the English mass. The priest will tell a story (usually a humorous one) during his sermon. Many times he has told the whole anecdote or joke in English, right up to the punchline. Then he finishes it in Bisaya. I'm the only one there who isn't laughing. Of course, this whole affair would never have gotten off the ground if Angel couldn't speak English. She and I used to chat for hours every day before i ever visited here.

Well, she went to get her nails done in preparation for attending her friend's beauty pageant tonight. Nap time for me.

Macman

#57 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

excellent update macman,
am i right in thinking you have retired from working.?
what does angel do for income.? at the moment it sounds like she is on a holiday whilst you are settling in.

i have had filipino,s in my house many a time, they spend hours watching those pageants on youtube.
they go mad for a plastic tiara.
strange behaviour. :loco:
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#58 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

:lol: I feel the same way, Anthony. It completely escapes me what is so fascinating about those pageants. I'm really glad I don't have to go tonight. I won't mind the one tomorrow because i get a real kick out of her friend, and she keeps asking me if I'm going.

Angel had a small store. It wasn't doing that well, and so we closed it. We're thinking of opening a small shop in a mall in which her cousin has a booth, but I'd really prefer that she not work. The only reason I want to open the shop is that I want her to have something for herself when I kick off (I'm assuming I'm going first). As you can probably guess, opportunities for transsexuals in P.I. are extremely limited. And, yes, I'm retired.

Macman

#59 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:05 PM

Great read Macman. Wish you the best. Sounds like you're acclimating well - hope it continues.

#60 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:44 PM

Hi Macman, am enjoying the read as ever.

You are kind of right about opportuinities for Transexuals being extremely limited in the PI. This is probably true about life in the smaller cities and provinces but here in Manila (for instance) it's not so much of an issue. Call Centres (and this is just about the biggest growth area in the economy) are chock full of TS and LB's. They are on the same relatively ok wages as everyone else and are fully accepted by employers and colleagues.

I also know of quite a few who work in hotels, catering, travel and mainstream offices. One of the cutest LB's I have ever seen here works - front of house - in the best Dept store in Manila.

You often see a lot of LB's working in the smaller cellphone and dvd shops in the malls. Same applies to Cebu to a lesser extent as well.

Apologies for stepping in and interrupting.

Cheers D&C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci