Moving into a relationship

• Please log in to reply
787 replies to this topic

#25 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:34 PM

Not boring at all. I retired in Pattaya but also was involved with a woman in the Phils previously. Reminded me of Thailand. She was very beautiful, but then her son needed medicine and she couldn't pay the rent, etc. (I starting smelling water buffalo). I wish you success - I really mean it. It's a difficult road and I hope you traverse it successfully.

#26 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:49 PM

Macman, if you like American sports see if your cable operator has a channel out of HK called ASN - I'm guessing it's probably available on cable in Phils as a premium channel. If not, you might want to check out Sat TV instead of cable. Philippine's homegrown Dream TV has a lot of sport including NBA TV, and the USA's Dish Network now has a JV in Taiwan that is available all over Asia with a ton of sports channels including ASN.

I saw lots of the Filipinas in AC love their hoops, but you might have to do a little work to get ur lady up to speed on the hit and run. :D

Good luck there.

#27 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

Your experiences are much more interesting to us than I think you realize Macman. I hope you will keep us posted with these everyday observations about your transition from NYC to PI living.

It has been years since I was in the PI, and in those days I absolutely loved going to the Bauang La Union ("Thousand Island") area of Luzon. I have always wanted to go to Cebu, heard many great things about it......and just may take a side-visit there during my next trip to LOS. So please, tell us all about it.

Mind if I ask what the rent is on your apartment? What is the location like (on or near the water?...view?...amenities?).

Take care buddy. Get some rest.

Nix
:fly:
Nix

#28 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

Definitely not boring Macman...this could provide an interesting contrast to Puty's life in the fast lane...

It could vary from day to day with the differences in culture, reactions to your relationship from others, how your partner copes with it....I'm guessing you've got it all coming matey! :D
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#29 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:47 AM

In 1992, I made my first international trip for my company to Cebu. It was only for a ten day period, and I was married and not aware of LB's at the time. So there was no hanky-panky on my part, but the one thing that stood out for me was a trip from my hotel to the Data Center for my company. As the taxi driver was going along, he slammed on the brakes and started laughing. There were two men chasing this undernourished dog with sticks and just beating it to death. I was almost sick watching this. He explained to me that any dog not tied up was fair game and would make a great meal. My first introduction to culture shock and there have been many others since.

I was doing some training in this warehouse where they had blocked out a little classroom. Down one side of the room there was an open crack and it was the sewer line. The smell was awful! Their solution was to tape mango air fresheners to the A/C unit. To this day, I won't go near a mango!

Sorry for the diversion...

#30 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:38 AM

Don’t be sorry for the diversion, Thailover, but I sure hope that I never see any of those sights. As for “water-buffalo syndrome”, Filipinos are like Thai people when it comes to family. In her case, some of her family are reasonably well off, but most are not. We’ve talked it over, and I hope we’ve come up with a solution. She realizes that I have my own family obligations in the U.S. We’ve set up a budget. It’s considerably more than most make in this area. We will try and save enough each month to cover the cost of helping out when needed. At least we are able to talk about it and recognize that it’s something that can cause friction.

Crackerjax, I’m hoping that the cable system we’re getting will be sufficient. They seem to have enough, including the NBA. There’s a lot I’ll miss, but I have a feeling it’ll be worth it. The guy was supposed to come yesterday afternoon, but we had a power outage. (More about that sort of thing later.)

Surin, we pay 9,000 PHP for a 2-bedroom, partially furnished apartment. Air conditioning in our bedroom. We are about a 5-minute ride to the bay. The guy across from us is very wealthy, and has 2 horses. They are usually the first things I see when I open my front door. BTW, guys, if you like cocks, they are constantly crowing here. I’m getting used to it. It’s like birds singing to me now. (Oh, you thought I meant the other kind of cocks. Sorry.)

Thanks for the encouragement, Petesie. And speaking of day-to-day, I had a surprise bonus. Angel is a great cook. In my previous visits, we always stayed at my hotel and ate our meals out. I’ve always been a picky eater, but there are a lot of Filipino foods I like. Last night she made chicken and pork sasarasso. It’s a simple dish, but so damn tasty. It’s chicken, pork and potatoes cooked in a delicious, tangy sauce and poured over rice. I mentioned that I’d never seen it on any menus, and she said they don’t usually serve it in restaurants. Ahhhhh, home cookin’.
I guess I’m going to have to buy a car eventually, but I’m scared to death to drive here. There are no traffic lights and only a few stop signs to which nobody pays any attention. We make our way about on tricycles, those motor bikes with cabins mounted on them. It’s like mayhem, but they seem to know what they’re doing. I sure don’t. Last February I was in Tacloban (about 2 hours from here). They have no traffic lights either, even though it’s a city of 175,000 people. No lights, but we got a ticket for jaywalking. Honest.
One of the things that really surprised me was how much I could not buy here. I have yet to see paper towels. I asked Angel, and she didn’t know what they are. Also, I’m sure they are here somewhere, but I haven’t been able to find a beard and mustache trimmer. I even looked in Cebu. Speaking of Cebu, we will probably have to go there about once a month, just to buy some of the things I can’t get here. It’s a nice city, but it’s about 3 hours each way door-to-door. I mentioned that we had a power outage yesterday. They are quite frequent here. I had already known that because there were many times Angel called me on the phone in NY because we couldn’t Skype because of the outage. The big problem with that for me is no air conditioning and no fan.
We’re having some friends over for lunch so I’ll cut this off for now. Speaking of friends, Angel has a nice bunch of friends, most straight, some gay and a few ladyboys. They are a lot of fun, and seem happy for us.

Macman
Actually living the dream.

#31 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:35 AM

Nice to follow life in the PI Macman. I have spent a few months there.

BTW, guys, if you like cocks, they are constantly crowing here. I’m getting used to it. It’s like birds singing to me now. (Oh, you thought I meant the other kind of cocks. Sorry.)

I stayed in Ermita once in an urban setting and saw a cock as I walked a few blocks to the now defunct LA Cafe bar. A bit surprising for me especially during the bird flu thing.

We make our way about on tricycles, those motor bikes with cabins mounted on them.

Trikes! Trike drivers are such a rip off in AC. Hope they are better where you live. But it does help to have a local with you. Avoid the livestock trikes. :D

Attached Files

xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#32 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

you seem to be getting in your stride macman, thanks man, this is the best read this week. 8)

i wouldnt fancy being woke up by cockerells. but i suppose i get the same thing here with the amount of dogs barking , because some lazy bastards dont take em out.

"jaywalking".?
that is one strange law i,ll never understand. :loco:
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#33 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

I haven't seen a livestock trike yet, xyzzy, but I'll keep my eye out so I can avoid them. Thanks, Anthony. We have plenty of barking dogs too, though. Everyone considers New York City to be noisy (and it is), but it's pretty loud here, a cacophony of animals, motorcycles, tricycles, kids, etc.
We went to the bank the other day. I wanted to see if I could open a joint account. Angel already has an account there, so I thought it would be easy. I'm getting killed with bank charges from the ATM machines. It's funny - they will not dispense more than 10,000 PHP in a transaction (about $230 U.S.), but you can put your card right back in and get another 10k. Problem is that there's a transaction charge. I thought I could open an account, deposit the amount of our monthly budget via check, and withdraw it as we need it. I was told I can't do it until I get an ARC (Alien Registration Card), which I'll do in a couple of weeks at the embassy in Cebu. I asked if I could deposit a check drawn on a U.S. bank into Angel's account. Yes, I can, and it only takes 45 days to clear. I don't get it. I was just outside the bank withdrawing money. It is done electronically and hits my account immediately. So a check - what? They're not exactly going to be sending the check to NYC and then physically transporting the money here. This is a techie country - everyone is walking around with I-pods, I-pads, I-touches, laptops, etc. A bank transaction like that could be done in 2 minutes. 45 days!!!
Back home, if I don't play golf (I always walk the course), I walk 4 miles a day. I just came back from a walk and feel like I'm going to die. This heat - whew. And we're not in the hot season. I'm going to have to start taking some photos to post soon. It's just a little overwhelming right now.
Well, my love is cooking right now (chicken livers and rice). I have to wash up. We'll just watch a DVD movie and hit the sack early tonight. Zipline trip on Saturday.

Macman
Actually living the dream.

#34 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

Great reporting Macman! Very interesting read.

So, I did the conversion and your rent is about $207 U.S. This is precisely the reason I look forward to retiring early in either SE Asia or a certain part of Latin America. Is your place comfortable and reasonably well-constructed? Do you feel safe in the neighborhood (where I imagine you are one of few, if not the only, foreigner in the 'hood). When you start posting pics (and we all hope you do), hope you'll include a few of your new environment. I just can't help but think what a departure from NYC this must be.

Angel's cooking sounds great!

Have you had Shanghai Lumpia (with the sweet sauce on the side) yet? ....that is a personal favorite of mine. Garlic/Shrimp Gambas were always a favorite too.

Just curious, but are you transitioning in this Phillipine adventure of yours from full-time employment to full-time retirement? Or, have you been retired for awhile and this is just part of your ongoing retirement adventure? Had you planned on doing this for quite sometime? Hope not too many questions....just native curiosity on my part. I really admire you for taking this exceptionally bold step to go where you have gone, and to be with whom you have chosen.

Nix
:fly:
Nix

#35 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:49 AM

I'm getting killed with bank charges from the ATM machines. It's funny - they will not dispense more than 10,000 PHP in a transaction (about $230 U.S.), but you can put your card right back in and get another 10k. Problem is that there's a transaction charge.

Like in Thailand this pisses me off. But it's even worse than Thailand as you get charged a 150p ATM fee to withdraw only 10,000p. If there is a Citi Bank branch near you might see if they charge the ATM fee. They don't in BKK but some have questioned their exchange rate as being a bit low (they get you one way or another).

Joint back account! You are a brave man. :harhar:
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#36 sunnydaze

sunnydaze
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:30 AM

hi macman...good luck in phils..its completly different to thailand as u know.
anyway,you can buy those things u was after in cebu at SM mall.
they have many good malls in cebu.
also if u have time,check out mactan island ,there is some very nice beaches there.its about 20 mins from central cebu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci