Becoming an Expat

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#25 boomdraw

boomdraw
  • Banned
  • 735 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:31 AM

bad neighbors?? wtf r u on. u mean the thai whores become bad in the noon day full sunshine and act morally only drunk and by the beach in the am hours? if u rent a room in a apartment complex like the one I posted above your niehbors are thai hookers, thai restaurant workers, essentially the same people u see day in an day out.

don't underestimate having a wi fi or pool or gym? u aware its 2013 and this shit is everywhere, internet worries lol.... living by the ocean in the tropics coming from fooking Norway or Alaska n your worried about a pool not missing out on a ocean swim? esp when they yap about 'outdoor culture'.

practically speaking cooking in Thailand usually comes down to a hour of work to save ten baht, aka u work for ten baht a hour on holiday, better u walk 30 feet n just save the labor. a kitchen for a breakfeast smoothie is about all u need, essentially a 300 baht blender fruit shake maker, done.

I think a one bedroom bungalow is perfect, u always want a room to close u off from other humans and this applices to your female or lb guest having the options to do this for themselves n shetter themselves from u even in your own place, this is humanity n quickly with n extra room u can have a free live in girl and cycle a few of them at a time, works in the west n east the same, girl gets free rent and thinks she pays her way by buying u fruit a few times a week or some chicken, well that an free-ish hoy.

#26 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:50 AM

bad neighbors?? wtf r u on. u mean the thai whores become bad in the noon day full sunshine and act morally only drunk and by the beach in the am hours? if u rent a room in a apartment complex like the one I posted above your niehbors are thai hookers, thai restaurant workers, essentially the same people u see day in an day out.

don't underestimate having a wi fi or pool or gym? u aware its 2013 and this shit is everywhere, internet worries lol.... living by the ocean in the tropics coming from fooking Norway or Alaska n your worried about a pool not missing out on a ocean swim? esp when they yap about 'outdoor culture'.

practically speaking cooking in Thailand usually comes down to a hour of work to save ten baht, aka u work for ten baht a hour on holiday, better u walk 30 feet n just save the labor. a kitchen for a breakfeast smoothie is about all u need, essentially a 300 baht blender fruit shake maker, done.

I think a one bedroom bungalow is perfect, u always want a room to close u off from other humans and this applices to your female or lb guest having the options to do this for themselves n shetter themselves from u even in your own place, this is humanity n quickly with n extra room u can have a free live in girl and cycle a few of them at a time, works in the west n east the same, girl gets free rent and thinks she pays her way by buying u fruit a few times a week or some chicken, well that an free-ish hoy.

Serious question. Have you actually ever been to Thailand? You are so off sometimes it's scary to think that some people on here might take your word as truth rather than the fiction it is.

Your nonsensical ramblings may be entertaining at times, but when it comes to useful information you are way off the mark as usual. Believe it or not, cheap Thai apartments aren't filled with horny teenage gogo dancers, 3 to a bed, desperately dreaming of the day a cheap farang will move in next door - sorry to break the news to you. When that cute gogo girl on cam chat tells you she's sleeping 3 to a bed in a cramped apartment she's feeding you a line, and you are biting. In fact most successful bar girls are staying in much nicer apartments paid for by their sponsors and earnings, and/or living with their Thai boyfriend.

Find yourself in a 4500 apartment at a major Thai resort and you're more likely to find yourself surrounded by noisy thais coming home at all hours (yeah, you'll enjoy those wafer thin walls), and like-minded cheap farang. If you're lucky you'll have a cup lock and grill over your windows, which will at least take a few more minutes to jimmy open. Living the dream! But then why even settle for a room, why not just sleep on the beach? You could use your hemp backpack as a pillow, and sleep in your tie-dye t-shirt..

If you are on such a tight budget you need to spend more time searching your local craigslist job listings rather than fishing for cheap sex on Bangkok craigslist and cam chats.

You've totally missed the point regarding cooking. As I said, you're not going to save much money cooking at home with local restaurants so cheap, but that's not what it's about. Learning to cook Thai is a great hobby and a nice gateway into local culture. I'm fairly well traveled and there are few cuisines that compare with Thai. There's something enjoyable and satisfying about mastering some of the local dishes and eating something you've created, especially when cooking for friends.

• duke007, aussieguy, rxpharm and 4 others like this

Find us on facebook: LADYBOYFORUM

#27 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:15 AM

:gp: :agree:

Moo Young, you're dead on. boomdraw has admiitted he has not been back to Thailand for several years - perhaps closing in on 10. He's an "armchair" expert now, supplementing his old experiences with knowledge he's gained from the forums and internet. His advice is not always accurate or up to date.

:cnd:

#28 veveron

veveron
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Funny, I heard a similar 3 to a bed claim during songkran from a fat bargirl at Nid Cha (the one across from the soi metro entrance).

Got the joke when she said the other two were lb.

#29 boomdraw

boomdraw
  • Banned
  • 735 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

its nice my post are being deleted, yesterday I left a reply, today its gone,,nice, I guess this is a religious kind of site for some of you's, explains why logic puts u off at times.

hey rhyxparm how do I leave a link and then another post the pic of the unit for rent and im out of date.

facts to date

1. girls still 1k baht, same as back in 2000

2. rooms still 4500k as a starting point and for this u get brand new, shower, tv, fridge, bed, dresser, again same as 2000

this bothers u people? answer=yes it does, the fact that young new to the whore game hookers that come from familes a lot of them were when the parents wanted to get romantic they simply pulled a sheet across the hut and fucked in the corner of it who's kids don't mind sleeping 3 to a room also bothers some of u I find odd, u see what most here don't grasp is u want the 19 year old, new to the game who sleeps three to a room, this means shes needy , naïve n cleaner then the older girls and more humble, so your room in and of itself offers her solace away from her own 3rd of her room. just a little life observation, if u want a 28 year old with her own place that's been sucking monger cock for a decade fine also, just choices which Is why I showed the room that impressed me, I was thinking like u folks for a second,,,,that it really does cost way more then it used to too live in asia, thing is its still the same. some of us are looking for freedom and fun and others to emote n connect, if your over connecting with thais your gonna enjoy yourself a lot more, some of u still aren't at this place yet, you still believe in the bullshit u need too.

#30 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

LOL! Those last few posts were priceless...

@Moo Yung

I'm still chuckling at the hemp backpack comment...

Anyway, on to other topics.

=======================================

Thai Language Schools:

Can anyone share their experiences taking formal Thai classes? I know that tonal languages are particularly challenging to the average westerner, but I'd like to give it a try. One of the difficulties living in a foreign country is being illiterate in the local language.

If anyone can suggest a professionally run language school, I'd be interested to hear about it. I intend to investigate the possibility of enrolling in a Thai university to learn the language if it isn't cost prohibitive.

I haven't done much research on this yet, so I'd love to hear any of your anecdotes or advice in regards to language training.

Realistically, I know that it is unlikely that I would ever progress much beyond basic "survival-level" Thai, but I have found that when living in a foreign country, a little bit of language ability takes you a long way.

In other countries that I have lived in the locals seem to appreciate your effort to learn their language, I'm sure the Thais are no different.

This leads me to my second topic, embracing Thai culture.

Embracing Thai Culture:

I am under the impression that there are two basic types of expats, those that jump into the culture and those that resist the local culture.

I have a genuine interest in learning about Thailand's culture and history. For me, part of the allure of living abroad is to learn something about your host country. From learning about basic customs and courtesies, to learning their history, about the different ethnic groups and sub-cultures, there is a lot to keep you occupied.

I have encountered many expats that appear to harbor contempt and disdain for the Thais and I am always puzzled by this.

Sure, I have seen certain things that Thais do that seem down right bizarre to me, and I know that there are Thais that have contempt for farangs.

However, a lot of those negative feelings and bad attitudes can be mitigated by taking the time to learn a little bit about your host country.

I'd love to hear any of your opinions and comments on this subject.

Cheers

#31 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:16 AM

its nice my post are being deleted, yesterday I left a reply, today its gone,,nice, I guess this is a religious kind of site for some of you's, explains why logic puts u off at times.

hey rhyxparm how do I leave a link and then another post the pic of the unit for rent and im out of date.

facts to date

1. girls still 1k baht, same as back in 2000

2. rooms still 4500k as a starting point and for this u get brand new, shower, tv, fridge, bed, dresser, again same as 2000

You are continually watering down useful threads with your madcap assumptions and uneducated cynicism based on reading craigslist, cam chats and other threads on the site.

Some people find your godawful grasp of the English language and depressing cynicism towards imperfect ladyboys and Thai culture amusing at times, while the rest of us are getting a bit tired of it. Stop trying to dominate threads with your hate and nonsense, most people are here to share genuine opinions and useful information.

Until you've actually been to Thailand maybe just stick to the Off Topic section instead of trolling good threads, and please, get a spell check installed, it takes just seconds and saves the rest of us hours of pain and misery.

• Surin Nix and Spyder Rocket like this

#32 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:25 AM

Thai Language Schools:

Can anyone share their experiences taking formal Thai classes? I know that tonal languages are particularly challenging to the average westerner, but I'd like to give it a try. One of the difficulties living in a foreign country is being illiterate in the local language.

If anyone can suggest a professionally run language school, I'd be interested to hear about it. I intend to investigate the possibility of enrolling in a Thai university to learn the language if it isn't cost prohibitive.

I haven't done much research on this yet, so I'd love to hear any of your anecdotes or advice in regards to language training.

Realistically, I know that it is unlikely that I would ever progress much beyond basic "survival-level" Thai, but I have found that when living in a foreign country, a little bit of language ability takes you a long way.

In other countries that I have lived in the locals seem to appreciate your effort to learn their language, I'm sure the Thais are no different.

I don't have much experience with language schools in Thailand but I recently visited PLC in Pattaya, after a recommendation from a long term expat there. I was looking at their Chinese language course but they also have a range of Thai classes (as well as several other languages), from weekly group session, to 1on1, survivor courses and more intense programs.

I was reasonably impressed, they seem a pretty professional outfit and said all the right things.

Another good thing about doing a language course is that it also gives you the opportunity to get an ED visa. Most schools can supply you with a 12-15 month education visa with your course, which can be renewed for a number of years (as long as you continue to study with the school), it's a common way for most under 50 expats to obtain long term visas.

• Spyder Rocket likes this

#33 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:51 AM

Embracing Thai Culture:

I am under the impression that there are two basic types of expats, those that jump into the culture and those that resist the local culture.

I have a genuine interest in learning about Thailand's culture and history. For me, part of the allure of living abroad is to learn something about your host country. From learning about basic customs and courtesies, to learning their history, about the different ethnic groups and sub-cultures, there is a lot to keep you occupied.

I have encountered many expats that appear to harbor contempt and disdain for the Thais and I am always puzzled by this.

Sure, I have seen certain things that Thais do that seem down right bizarre to me, and I know that there are Thais that have contempt for farangs.

However, a lot of those negative feelings and bad attitudes can be mitigated by taking the time to learn a little bit about your host country.

I'd love to hear any of your opinions and comments on this subject.

Cheers

I love history, I wouldn't call myself a buff, but I try to learn about local history and culture when the opportunity is there..

One thing I find about Thailand is that they don't tell you a lot. Many Thais can tell you which sites, monuments and temples are important but not so many can tell you why, or give you any history behind them. You'll also find that many such places don't have plaques or readily available tourist information - some of the bigger temples and sites may have guides but it's not a given.

I've been to several temples which I'm sure had an interesting history, but pretty much came away with little knowledge from the visit, just a few pretty pictures. If you are seriously interested in local history and culture, I'd suggest doing lots of reading up before you hit the tourist spots, and take a good guide book with you. Once you do it will make your explorations around Thailand a whole lot more rewarding, especially if you have time to visit places such as Ayuthaya and Sukhothai.

I wouldn't read too much in to the amount of hatred and bitterness some expats have towards the Thais. Many expats who harbor a high level of cynicism have spent the vast majority of their time in Thailand around the notorious bar areas, socializing almost exclusively with prostitutes and mongers, and even then most of them still choose to stay in Thailand knowing the rude attitudes they receive is a small price to pay for Thailand's many other rewards. i sometimes get cynical towards Thais when I spend too much time in Pattaya, but that soon fades once I'm back among friends in Bangkok. Even if you do experience a run of rude Thai people, keeping calm and showing them respect and a smile can often earn the same back.

• Spyder Rocket likes this

#34 veveron

veveron
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:09 AM

There are lots of language schools, otherwise sorry, don't know about them, but 90% of the lb or bargirls you meet will be excited if you know some, even if it's only a little.

Not many worries if you're just retiring. You'll get to see the smiling best side of Thais.

Working with, or worse than that, dealing with their gov., now that's the real fertile ground for disdain.

Not complaining though, after all it's the reason I get to come back every few months.

#35 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:23 AM

@Moo Yung

I have read a little about the education visa and I heard on an expat forum that the Thai government intends to tighten control and verification of that particular program.

I don't know if the Ed visa would be they way I want to go, but I'll get a little more smart on it because it's nice to have options.

#36 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:35 AM

I love history, I wouldn't call myself a buff, but I try to learn about local history and culture when the opportunity is there..

One thing I find about Thailand is that they don't tell you a lot. Many Thais can tell you which sites, monuments and temples are important but not so many can tell you why, or give you any history behind them. You'll also find that many such places don't have plaques or readily available tourist information - some of the bigger temples and sites may have guides but it's not a given.

I've been to several temples which I'm sure had an interesting history, but pretty much came away with little knowledge from the visit, just a few pretty pictures. If you are seriously interested in local history and culture, I'd suggest doing lots of reading up before you hit the tourist spots, and take a good guide book with you. Once you do it will make your explorations around Thailand a whole lot more rewarding, especially if you have time to visit places such as Ayuthaya and Sukhothai.

I wouldn't read too much in to the amount of hatred and bitterness some expats have towards the Thais. Many expats who harbor a high level of cynicism have spent the vast majority of their time in Thailand around the notorious bar areas, socializing almost exclusively with prostitutes and mongers, and even then most of them still choose to stay in Thailand knowing the rude attitudes they receive is a small price to pay for Thailand's many other rewards. i sometimes get cynical towards Thais when I spend too much time in Pattaya, but that soon fades once I'm back among friends in Bangkok. Even if you do experience a run of rude Thai people, keeping calm and showing them respect and a smile can often earn the same back.

Great advice!

I have noticed what you have mentioned about a lack of information when visiting Thai cultural sites. Even my ex Thai GF who had a university level education could tell me very little about the places we visited together.

Hell, I know plenty of Americans with university degrees that can't tell you when the War of 1812 was, much less who participated in it. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci