Becoming an Expat

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#13 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

Thanks again to all who have been providing input!

@Jimbo

My next trip I intend to spend time scouting locations on Phuket. I intend on staying in a hotel in Patong initially while I look at various locations on the island for a long term rental.

I love the sleepy feel of Karon, but I have haven't seen too much in the way of rentals in my price range. I have a good sized list of rental units that I want to check out in Rawai and Chalong.

I've also seen some interesting rentals in the vicinity of Bang Wad Reservoir, but looking at maps of the area they are just North of the dam and look like they could be in the potential flood zone if that dam was ever breached by heavy rain. If I ever do rent in that area, I plan on studying some topographic maps to determine where the runoff zones would be.

I know that flooding is a chronic problem on Phuket, but do you know if they have problems with that reservoir on a regular basis?

I also want to scout some places up in Bang Thao that I've seen listings for. If you know of any other sleepy little hamlets that I should investigate, please let me know.

PS
I met you briefly on my 2012 trip, but you were off to do a visa run the next day, so our chat was a short one. I spent a few enjoyable nights in your bar while you were gone.

I enjoyed the company of Nookie and Nuoy, really fun to be with. Nuoy is very funny and had me laughing most of the time.

#14 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:15 AM

Ok, well look forward to meeting up with you again.

I'm a lazy-arsed so and so, and haven't fully explored the island yet. So i can't advise about the area near the reservoir. All i can say is that i've not seen any incidents reported in the press about it.

I like Karon in the High season. But in Low its a dead-and-alive place IMO.

I've always liked the low-rise area of Rawai. And there's a bit of action there too if you sniff it out. Although its such a small community everybody will know your business.

Bang Tao is gorgeous, but miles from anything. Maybe great for a few days, but the solitude would quickly get to me.

I love Surin, but its expanding rapidly and has a rep for being 5 star, so prices will be high.

Kathu is cheap and cheerful, and i've considered it. But its too "thai" for my liking. The noisy inconsiderate little fuckers would piss me off living there.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for something suitable, but don't completely dismiss Patong. There's still some quiet parts, and of course you're in the heart of all the action. Very little travelling involved.

• Spyder Rocket likes this

#15 boomdraw

boomdraw
  • Banned
  • 735 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:49 AM

i used to live semi quiet in patong, if u walk out of tai pan disco and go right and cross the first main road and go to the next main intersection about half mile up and take a right, about a half mile up from there on the left side (were the mountain is) theres side streets which take to were theres rooms at the top , i paid when i was there 4-5 k per month, u get balcony, tv, shower, bed, fridge etc,  my overall two cents for chimeing in is that its quite quiet. theres was actually two units then with a third being built, sorry its been a while since ive been in Phuket, theres probally 5 separate unites up the dang hill by now.

living behind the karon temple is bomb imo, i had a room in the semi new unit right behind it , 3 rooms, a front room, bedroom and kitchen with a big balcony, 5k per month unfurnished, i was stoked. karon is a nice balance of whoretopia and regularfolkia.

#16 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:53 AM

@Boomdraw

I'm thinking those must be prices from years ago. From some of the real estate websites I've been browsing 4-5k per month would get you a dingy fan only room in Patong or Karon. Even 7-8k per month in those locations the room would be kind of haggard and run down.

A little further out and in the 10-15k range gets you a much nicer place with twice a week maid service, cable TV, and WiFi included.

@Jimbo

I'll give Patong a closer look, I intend on basing myself out of there initially anyway; plus, as you were saying before, I can always retreat to another location after 3 or 4 months.

I would want to be out of the zone of Patong where you get all the cat-calls for massages, tuk-tuks, and suits. I went out running one morning last year and had the tuk-tuk drivers trying to pick me up as a fare.

Patong wouldn't be out of the question for me during low season but I think that during high season I'd want to be further out.

#17 boomdraw

boomdraw
  • Banned
  • 735 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

go to craigslist Thailand, click on apartments for rent, then type in pattaya then scroll down, there is a brand new apartment complex unit with rooms for rent  posted on October 30th,, 4500k per month, u get title floor, flat screen tv, mini fridge, bed,hot shower, small balcony, everything u need, im tired of hearing about the cost of Thailand going up, it hasn't, girls are still 1k and food is still 80 baht, and rent is still 150-175 usd per month, wont change in our life time much, enjoy it and get used to it, and this is in touristy areas, its even cheaper every where else, like in patong if u go to Phuket town which is 20 minutes away you can eat for 40 baht and live for 2500-3500 baht per month I the same accomedations.

just options, but doesn't the room look nice to you for the price? sorry my click n paste function isn't working for me on this site anymore so I cant post the criagslist link for u. if u look at the nov 29th post youll see a condo for 8k per month,  youll see because its called a ''condo'' that u get half the floor space for the twice the price, that word condo really warps minds both at home n abroad, It cracks me up when people save up for condos in America in places like the Midwest, its like u have a condo in Chicago? mmm well thought out, im sure the breeze for 7 weeks a year is lovely-

maids are everywhere in Thailand for about 200 baht,  laundry a no brainer and u will live nowhere in Thailand without the noisey thais knowing your every move, u can walk home one day and through a banana in the field, days later youll hear from someone that someone else told them that u littered as some thai creep was watching u out his window walk home, or just happen to shack up next to some 80 year old who spend his time in a sarong who clanks pieces of metal together outside your room at 4am nightly with the most odd rhytm like ''is he almost done, ,,good he's done I can finally get some sleep.. .   .    . ''clink'',  ah shit the hamster still isn't spent yet maybe another half hour I guess.

• tourist likes this

#18 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:30 AM

go to craigslist Thailand, click on apartments for rent, then type in pattaya then scroll down, there is a brand new apartment complex unit with rooms for rent posted on October 30th,, 4500k per month, u get title floor, flat screen tv, mini fridge, bed,hot shower, small balcony, everything u need, im tired of hearing about the cost of Thailand going up, it hasn't, girls are still 1k and food is still 80 baht, and rent is still 150-175 usd per month, wont change in our life time much, enjoy it and get used to it, and this is in touristy areas, its even cheaper every where else, like in patong if u go to Phuket town which is 20 minutes away you can eat for 40 baht and live for 2500-3500 baht per month I the same accomedations.

just options, but doesn't the room look nice to you for the price? sorry my click n paste function isn't working for me on this site anymore so I cant post the criagslist link for u. if u look at the nov 29th post youll see a condo for 8k per month, youll see because its called a ''condo'' that u get half the floor space for the twice the price, that word condo really warps minds both at home n abroad, It cracks me up when people save up for condos in America in places like the Midwest, its like u have a condo in Chicago? mmm well thought out, im sure the breeze for 7 weeks a year is lovely-

I wish your "click and paste" function was working too.

None-the-less, I just finished browsing rentals via Craigslist Thailand and I'll stick by my general assessment that rooms in the 4-5k baht range seem to be rather basic and in some cases what I would call dingy.

There is a matter of personal tastes involved here, but it is interesting to see yours; please try posting the link again.

For what ever reason, I had not been using Craigslist Thailand, so thanks for steering me to it, as it appears to contain some listings that I had not been seeing on the popular rental sites.

Another thing to consider, I would never choose a place solely off any advertisement. I would have to visit it in person to make an informed decision. On my last trip, I used online listings as a guide and went around and visited them in person. There are a lot of variables involved and you can not get a feel for them through the advertisement. Things like noisy neighbors or crowing roosters, proper ventilation, mold, and so many more.

maids are everywhere in Thailand for about 200 baht,  laundry a no brainer and u will live nowhere in Thailand without the noisey thais knowing your every move, u can walk home one day and through a banana in the field, days later youll hear from someone that someone else told them that u littered as some thai creep was watching u out his window walk home, or just happen to shack up next to some 80 year old who spend his time in a sarong who clanks pieces of metal together outside your room at 4am nightly with the most odd rhytm like ''is he almost done, ,,good he's done I can finally get some sleep.. .   .    . ''clink'',  ah shit the hamster still isn't spent yet maybe another half hour I guess.

Why, oh why, would you throw a banana into a field? ;)

#19 boomdraw

boomdraw
  • Banned
  • 735 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:53 AM

def have to see the room in person, nice thing about craigs is at times it more up to date, but u must look for screens or theres no cross ventilation unless u spring for the screens yourself which ill actually do as I don't like air conditioniing but luv a simple clean modern room with peace quite and two windows with da da dunnnnnnnnnnn screens on them so the tropical breeze can waft through the crib, then im totally comfy in Thailand, most just overpay for a hot box with an extra room and a aircon unit and wonder why they never adjust to the climate or wake fully rested after breathing stale shit in all night. its kinda like when are humans gonna realize jet lag doesn't exist its simply breathing in toxic stale air in a cabin pumped full of chems to sterilize everyone while being very hi off the neutral charge of the earth, so u land and your tired for a moment, nothing to do with watching a few movies n sleeping that has made u tired or the time change bullshit that some people yap about for 4 days after they land, something to think about.

waiting for a link in 2013..... no we don't wait anymore. but since some still do, if u want to see it go to Thailand craigslist, go to apartments, then type in pattaya, scroll down to October 29th and look over to see the 4500 fee to the right of the add to know your on the right one, shinny brand new painted building, shinny floors, new flat screen tv, what else does one need,, well id probally not grab this room until I exhausted finding a room with more windows and screens n more breeze, u couldn't even give me a ten thousand baht a month hotel room for 4k a month if it wasn't a corner room with a few windows to open at night, that really is the only struggle for rooms, no windows or one window and no aircon means living fooking hell and no windows and only aircon is just a different version of it, popping for screens on windows is wise-

its all good though, im guessing im gonna need to drop 6-7k my next stay on rent, im getting old and I want a decent place to lounge around in if I don't want to be bother'd.

#20 veveron

veveron
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:09 AM

By contrast, I'm looking at 45,000 as low end for 3 months next summer. So yeah, personal tastes.

#21 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

By contrast, I'm looking at 45,000 as low end for 3 months next summer. So yeah, personal tastes.

I'm wondering what you would have to say about Boomdraw's 4.5k room with shiny new floors. :)

Attached Files

• JustSumGai likes this

#22 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

Is that 45,000 divided by 3 or 45,000 times 3?

#23 veveron

veveron
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

I'm wondering what you would have to say about Boomdraw's 4.5k room with shiny new floors. :)

So shiny, it's like how much more shiny could it be? 

Divided by 3, but like others have said if you're planning on staying longer being away from the crowds and noise every night would be a plus, and the prices fall off a cliff as you head out. Even around where the LK Legend is, several 1bd were at 5000 when I checked last year.

Course at times 3 you can get one up behind the sign, quite and close.

#24 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

Regarding budget and accommodation, from my experience I've always spent less total budget when I've spent more on my accommodation.

I find the more homely and more facilities and luxuries my accommodation has the less I feel the urge to get out every night.

I would steer clear of any accommodation costing 4500 per month in a major Thai resort. Not only is it likely to lack the comfort you are used to back home, but it's also likely to give you undesirable neighbours and poor security. 

Unless you are on a really tight budget or living out in the sticks I'd look at nice 1 bedrooms priced at 15k up. Space is also a key factor. A 30 SQM hotel room is fine when you are on holiday, but after a month you'll start to feel a bit suffocated. 1 bedrooms are better than studios as it's nice to cook, eat and sleep in separate spaces but sometimes a large 45 SQM+ is a nice option.

Thailand has a great outdoor culture, especially if you are living by the coast, but don't under estimate the importance of having somewhere clean, comfortable and spacious to call home. Cable TV, good WIFI, a Pool, and if possible a fitness room, will all help ease your budget in the long term.

I also look for a nice kitchen area - you might not necessarily save much money eating in compared to eating out at local restaurants, but with lots of great fresh produce cooking can be a nice little hobby here, and 7 times out of 10 guests to my room will see I have a well stocked kitchen and want to cook for me - some of my best meals here were cooked for me at home (also a few of the worst!).

BTW a 74k budget will leave you very comfortable. I spend around 30k on accommodation and bills every month, and go out when I please, rarely looking at prices and occasionally having an expensive meal. Rarely does my total spending exceed 75k (unless I do some traveling). Thailand is also full of surprises, so why 74k is nice to live on, it's important to have at least 200k to 300k saved for emergencies.

• Janus likes this

Find us on facebook: LADYBOYFORUM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci