Becoming an Expat

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#109 veveron

veveron
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

I know that the back taxes exemption applies if the IRS initiates the levy. If you can wait 5 years you can roll it over into a Roth and withdrawl the CONTRIBUTIONS without a penalty tax. This isn't the type of finance I usually do, I may be wrong about this.

Not particularly relevant but...13 years ago I saw a large IRA fund taken care of and the owner even used his US passport for the accounts they went into. This was before that modern US tactic of trying to force foreign banks to report US citizen accounts. The account had grown a lot due to warrents and stocks at .001 par ect, instead of compensation, going into the account. So this was to avoid tax coming out not penalties. Anyway the money was extracted by putting it into a placement that was secured by foreign bonds. They defaulted, the placement was used to cover and the IRA account was 0. It didn't work, sort of, the US IRS only started sending letters and people 6 years later, the inheritance triggered their interest more than the losses in the self directed account. But he was dead, his wife and children aren't US citizens and didn't cooperate, the money was in lots places. Other things happened, but for the most part they stopped asking for information after about 4 months.

#110 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:06 PM

I know that the back taxes exemption applies if the IRS initiates the levy. If you can wait 5 years you can roll it over into a Roth and withdrawl the CONTRIBUTIONS without a penalty tax. This isn't the type of finance I usually do, I may be wrong about this.

I probably haven't read enough on this. I only owe 3k taxes from last year, and didn't pay it because I thought I could use that as a maneuver to get my funds out without the penalty. I did not see the stipulation that the IRS had to initiate a levy in order to use that maneuver. I'll be getting to the bottom of this soon, but thanks for giving me a heads up.

I kind of regret dumping all that money into the IRA, but I was getting matching contributions from my company, and it greatly reduced my tax liability at the time.

However, I could put that money to better use now, and I'll have more money coming in when I reach my sixties from another account, plus Social Security, provided they don't screw that up. I am behind that big wave of baby boomers who are going to ravage the system in the coming decade. I don't think it will collapse as the doom sayers claim, but there will certainly be reforms and smaller payouts.

#111 jfrank

jfrank
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:05 AM

I gave up on my Ph.D. (along with a permanent academic post at a British Uni) when I moved here, I was just about to finish, just had to do the final section of the thesis, but the pull of Patts was too much :)

While there is something to be said about not procrastinating and taking the plunge, I'm a big fan making more calculated moves.

Besides, the biggest thing that has me in a holding pattern is finishing off my masters degree. It's something that I want to do, and I don't have that much longer to go.

#112 veveron

veveron
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:49 PM

I gave up on my Ph.D. (along with a permanent academic post at a British Uni) when I moved here, I was just about to finish, just had to do the final section of the thesis, but the pull of Patts was too much :)

Wow, what in?

I just make do with a trip every 6 months.

#113 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:42 PM

@jfrank

Yes, that is rather shocking that you'd walk away from all that hard work. In the US, most doctoral programs involve two or three years of classes along with completing the dissertation (a thesis is usually associated with a master's degree in the US).

I'd like to hear more about your decision to walk away from it, and answer the call of Pattaya. It sounds like it would be a very interesting story, and one worth hearing.

I'm sure that anyone contemplating walking away from a life in the West would be interested in hearing what the deciding factors were for you.

#114 jfrank

jfrank
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:03 AM

I'd like to hear more about your decision to walk away from it, and answer the call of Pattaya. It sounds like it would be a very interesting story, and one worth hearing. > Don't do it!  :) LOL, seriously, this was my 2nd Ph.D.

I'm sure that anyone contemplating walking away from a life in the West would be interested in hearing what the deciding factors were for you.>>

I earned a lot of money (teaching only 6 hours per week, only 24 weeks per year:) )

I was obese :(

High BP :(

Very Unhappy :(

Very stressed out :(

I was planning to quit, but everyone kept saying I was being stupid/crazy :) but then I had a good look at what was going on around me.... people were staying in the job, until retirement, and then after retirement they would comeback!!! to work part time, and then they would literally die! on the job. The last straw which broke my back was an email from the administrators (there is an ongoing battle between academics and admins(Gestapo)) inviting a member of staff to a meeting on that Friday, however that member of staff was definitely NOT going to be available, because ….

He had to be at his Funeral!

So that really fing, pissed me off! And I went to Patts for 1 month, then back to the UK, and then there was no way I was going to stay in the UK, so flash pack in Hand left the house, the car and the works and haven't been back since :)

• Hoot likes this

#115 jfrank

jfrank
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:04 AM

@veveron both Ph.D.s in IT security, hacking etc :), love the subject :), but life is too short :)

#116 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:17 AM

Perhaps, not so different from my reasons/motivations to effect a change in my life.

In my late 40s, and feeling middle age depression setting in. Long ago divorced, kids are out of college, working a good paying job, but not really enjoying the benefits of that job. Between the hours spent at work, and a hellish daily commute, my Monday thru Friday life was monotonous.

I'll be 50 next year, and let's face it, how much more time do I have on this planet? For the sake of argument, let's say 25 years. Then how much of that before I start having serious health issues? 10 years? 15 years?

The last time I was happy was when I was living in Japan, and I haven't been able to adjust to life in the states again.

I've got maybe one good decade of life left, barring accidents, maybe a touch more if I'm lucky.

That's what is motivating me to break away from the rat race. I do know that Thailand chews up and spits out hundreds if not thousands of guys like me a year. That's why I'm being a bit systematic about making the move, and ensuring I have a few options to be flexible to a world, and life that can change rapidly.

Finishing off my degree is doable, and it is a hedge on the chance that I might want to work again. Someone my age is a bit more marketable to employers if they have a post-graduate degree, plus I enjoy being back in school.

Selling my house and going back to school was a damn big step for me. I'm about a year out from making the jump, and that will be here quick.

I'm not sure that I could make the move as abruptly as you described though.

Regardless, I'm forward to it, and I feel excited again.
  • batman4ever, Hoot, jfrank and 1 other like this

#117 Hard News

Hard News
  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:01 AM

Perhaps, not so different from my reasons/motivations to effect a change in my life.

In my late 40s, and feeling middle age depression setting in. Long ago divorced, kids are out of college, working a good paying job, but not really enjoying the benefits of that job. Between the hours spent at work, and a hellish daily commute, my Monday thru Friday life was monotonous.

I'll be 50 next year, and let's face it, how much more time do I have on this planet? For the sake of argument, let's say 25 years. Then how much of that before I start having serious health issues? 10 years? 15 years?

The last time I was happy was when I was living in Japan, and I haven't been able to adjust to life in the states again.

I've got maybe one good decade of life left, barring accidents, maybe a touch more if I'm lucky.

That's what is motivating me to break away from the rat race. I do know that Thailand chews up and spits out hundreds if not thousands of guys like me a year. That's why I'm being a bit systematic about making the move, and ensuring I have a few options to be flexible to a world, and life that can change rapidly.

Finishing off my degree is doable, and it is a hedge on the chance that I might want to work again. Someone my age is a bit more marketable to employers if they have a post-graduate degree, plus I enjoy being back in school.

Selling my house and going back to school was a damn big step for me. I'm about a year out from making the jump, and that will be here quick.

I have just arrived back from another trip to LOS...and depression has already set in....long commute and a 45 plus hour work week

Spyder, when it comes to age I have an 8 year start on you, so my play time is reduced to maybe 7 years

Do I hold the security of employment and make 2 or 3 trips a year, or take the plunge and flee the west. 

I grapple with this question all of the time.

If I only new when my expiry date was......but I guess I should always assume it is tomorrow !!

In refection I think I may be answering my own question.

#118 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

Sell or dump all your accumulated crap, rent your property, tie-up those loose ends and make sure your debit and credit cards have a few years life before they expire and buy that ticket to Paradise.

That's what I did a month before my 50th birthday and I'm now in my 3rd year living here in Pattaya. No regrets whatsoever and I know I'd have kicked myself hard if I hadn't taken the bull by the balls and made that move.

I wouldn't say I'm living the dream, as such. But the life I left behind I do not miss for one second and I recognise often that I am very happy where my life is right now. Forget comparing how much money you think you'll need to live here with what you spend when you're on holiday, after a few months the partying will subside and you'll get into the groove.

Take a deep breath, stop over-analysing, stop faffing about and get it done!

I adore the simplicity of my life right now. Life's too short to hang around  ;)

• azza33, thailover57, batman4ever and 2 others like this

Meum cerebrum nocet

#119 jfrank

jfrank
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

SR, based on my experience I would say just go for it!, the one thing I learnt from the British billionaire I met in Patts, was to JFDI (Just Fucking Do it!), didn't learn anyting else we were too busy  partying, he was the best wingman ever :) set me up with my first GG+LB 3some :) (had loads of GG, 3somes, LB 3somes, but not a mixed one up to that point:))

Think about why you "really" need the degree, I have about 5 serious :( academic qualifications and abotu 12 professional qualifications, quite a lot of academic publications, but it's all crap, that i probably used to cover my lack of self esteem!

#120 jfrank

jfrank
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

THis is ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON DC :) !!!, exactly what I did, but in a much hurried and a distanced way. I do miss my brand new car, which had done only 3000km and it's rotting away, and costing me a fortune because letting out the house without parking :)

but other than that no regrets. Just got rid of all my crap, (actually got my estate agent to do if for me!) and then rented out the house.

There was a lot of shit=accumulated crap, that I bought, becuase of the temporary high it gave me.

Living in Patts was nice but I got in to, partying daily :) it was fun at first but then I realised I was just rotting away, then I changed my life style after  6 months and having spent a lot of money. Got in to swimming, jogging (vertical)

Sell or dump all your accumulated crap, rent your property, tie-up those loose ends and make sure your debit and credit cards have a few years life before they expire and buy that ticket to Paradise.

That's what I did a month before my 50th birthday and I'm now in my 3rd year living here in Pattaya. No regrets whatsoever and I know I'd have kicked myself hard if I hadn't taken the bull by the balls and made that move.

I wouldn't say I'm living the dream, as such. But the life I left behind I do not miss for one second and I recognise often that I am very happy where my life is right now. Forget comparing how much money you think you'll need to live here with what you spend when you're on holiday, after a few months the partying will subside and you'll get into the groove.

Take a deep breath, stop over-analysing, stop faffing about and get it done!

I adore the simplicity of my life right now. Life's too short to hang around  ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci