Becoming an Expat

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#97 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

My thai friend has just had her annual maintenance bill - 10,200Bt (up from 9,000 last year) and she's not happy about the way things are going. They're skimping on the maintenance - cleaning the corridors less often, lack of security at night, not fixing the faulty entry door etc etc.
 And i believe it'll get worse as time goes on.

I think that scenario is almost universal with condos.

Back in 2005-2006, when I was "in lub," I looked at a couple of beautiful condo buildings in BKK and I have to wonder what they look like today. On my next trip, I might go look at them, just to confirm my suspicions.

I think what drives this pattern in condo buildings is that is that real estate developments are notorious for being used to launder illicit money in the construction phase, and later used as tax write-offs when their value begins to drop (at least in the USA). The point is, you have a lot of skimping on shoddy materials from the beginning, with the overall goal of the behind the scenes players is to have the project fail.

#98 Snake Dr

Snake Dr
  • Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationClass Y Planet

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:57 AM

I want to add an update regarding the withdrawal fees from a Kasikornbank outside your initial zone.
My account is in Pattaya, Last Oct when I went to Bangkok at the end of my trip the charges were as follows:

Withdrawal from a Bangkok K-ATM fee: ฿15
Deposit in a Bangkok K-ATM fee: ฿23

Still you can’t beat the number of K-ATM machines scattered all around the Kingdom. The only place with no
K-ATM machine in site is in my room. But it’s always a few steps away.

ประเทศไทยในหัวใจข.

#99 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:23 AM

38 baht isn't too bad considering using an international debit card gets you 150 baht plus service fees and exchange rate charges to get money. If you're an expat, get a local account for free withdrawals.
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#100 Snake Dr

Snake Dr
  • Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationClass Y Planet

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:00 AM

38 baht isn't too bad considering using an international debit card gets you 150 baht plus service fees and exchange rate charges to get money. If you're an expat, get a local account for free withdrawals.

It never bothered me, the purpose of having it was initially to not leave big sum of money inside in-room safes. Also, the occasional wire transfers if needed and few other benefits. I’m not an expat, only a frequent visitor to LOS mostly Pattaya. I’m Just posting this in case someone searched for it.
It no longer hassles me anymore, as I stopped wondering out of Patts altogether.

ประเทศไทยในหัวใจข.

#101 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

DIFFICULT TO PROCURE WESTERN CONSUMER GOODS

I thought this might make a mildly interesting side topic; even though, I view adapting to using Thai and Asian brand products as a easy thing to do.

What western items do you find are difficult to come by in Thailand?

For instance, I've notice my particular brand of razor blades, Gillette Mach IIIs are are scare in Thailand. You can find them, but you have to plan on shopping for them.

I have also noticed that antiperspirants can be difficult to find, deodorants are abundant, but antiperspirants are a little more tricky to come by. Many of the antiperspirants you do find contain some type of bleaching agent that will discolor your shirts. These are usually marked as "whitening" on the label. It took me ruining about six shirts to discover this, and I am still baffled as to why anyone would want or need bleach in an antiperspirant. I think it must be something females desire?

I have noticed that shopping for clothing can be hit or miss. I am not even close to being a big guy by American standards, but finding a nice shirt that isn't too small is a challenge.

I've never set foot in a Tesco while in Thailand, but I assume they are like similar stores in the US, where you purchase items in bulk quantities. Living as a single person, I usually don't think buying in bulk is a good deal.

Like I said earlier, these type of things can easily be adapted to and are minor annoyances at best. What things like this have you encountered or had to adapt to?

#102 hartmut

hartmut
  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

Razor blades are no problem as Tesco, Boots, 7-11 usually carry them. Tesco is just a normal Supermarket not a bulk store such as Makro.Clothing can be a problem but most malls have US chains and Robinsons has a good selection.

Pit lube is a bit of a problem, i found some anti-p at watkins but it is hit or miss.

No Matter where you are or have been, You are Here

#103 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:03 AM

Razor blades are no problem as Tesco, Boots, 7-11 usually carry them. Tesco is just a normal Supermarket not a bulk store such as Makro.Clothing can be a problem but most malls have US chains and Robinsons has a good selection.
Pit lube is a bit of a problem, i found some anti-p at watkins but it is hit or miss.

That's good to know about Tesco; I guess I got it confused with the US store, Costco, that sells in bulk quantities.

#104 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:02 AM

It has been a while since I've put anything in this thread, but I'm just about a year away from making the jump.

I had planned to spend the summer in Thailand, but I stuck close to home to be near my father as he underwent a couple of risky surgeries. He made it through them, and should be around for a while longer.

I got a lot accomplished this summer, and it is just as good that I stayed in the USA.

My thoughts are currently revolving around strategies to get about 100K out of an IRA fund without incurring the penalty for early withdrawal. I'm looking at using the loophole to pay back taxes with a portion of it, as I've read that the IRS will waive the early withdrawal penalty of 10 percent if you are using a portion of it to pay back taxes.

I'm going to be talking to a tax lawyer about this soon, but I'd like to hear anyone's personal experiences in using this particular maneuver.

Other than that, I'm mulling the possibility of a December/January trip, not sure.

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread, that I'm finishing up a graduate degree. I'll probably never put it to good use, but it is nice to have options, plus it was an unfulfilled goal. I'm having fun doing it, so it isn't a wasted effort.

I got rid of a shitload of my possessions over the summer too. I think I said that was weighing on my mind heavily in the OP, not so much now.

As someone said, it is just stuff, and is is very liberating to start letting go of it.

Speaking of options and backup plans, one of my alternate plans is teaching English in China as a way to ease into full retirement in Thailand.

I'm 49, which is a little old for an English teacher, but not unheard of. I was thinking about doing a stint as an English teacher in China as a way to see the country. It is a country and culture that I've always wanted to experience. That would be my primary motive to teaching for a year in China, plus, I think the teaching experience could be enjoyable as long as I keep the right attitude.

Can anyone share their experiences about teaching in China?

Not sure that I will do that, but it is an option that I'm considering. I'm still keeping an eye out for the right job in Japan, but that is a tough nut to crack. I don't think teaching English in Japan is a viable option for me, as they have a glut of English teachers, and are more prone to hiring younger candidates.

My plan is still moving forward, and although it might sound convoluted, I like having options.

#105 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:25 AM

Do ANYTHING you can to stay away from penalties! Removing any money will cost you 28% unless you've got deductions to work for you. Another thing to think about is health insurance - no Ocare for expats. As for teaching, I see young (to me) 50's teaching English here in Thailand. My understanding is they are not paid well. Good luck.
  • Spyder Rocket likes this
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#106 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

Do ANYTHING you can to stay away from penalties! Removing any money will cost you 28% unless you've got deductions to work for you. Another thing to think about is health insurance - no Ocare for expats. As for teaching, I see young (to me) 50's teaching English here in Thailand. My understanding is they are not paid well. Good luck.

Yes, I'm going to go over the IRA withdrawal with a tax lawyer. Even if I don't withdraw it, I've got to shift it to something more stable soon, right now it is in a fund that tracks the S&P 500 and I think moving over to a fund that that tracks large capital bonds might be better. At any rate, if I do it in the coming tax year, I should be able to live with the 28 percent tax hit, provided that I avoid the penalty.

I could just leave it alone, but I want a good chunk of easily accessible money in an escape fund. Right now I have 10k set aside for emergencies, should I need to return to the states quickly, but I'd feel better with more.

I'm not interested in teaching English in Thailand, I've got enough money to live there without out working. Just want to see China for a year or a few months, and that is a good way to offset the cost, plus having the visa done for you by the school is an added bonus.

You are correct that it isn't lucrative, but having a TESOL certificate in your back pocket is a good option.

I'm good to go on health care, but yes, that is a big one to square away.

#107 jfrank

jfrank
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:11 AM

Perhaps you should just move! just like I did 5 years ago, then sort out the rest ($$$, real estate, vehicles, work, etc) later :)

#108 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:06 AM

Perhaps you should just move! just like I did 5 years ago, then sort out the rest ($$$, real estate, vehicles, work, etc) later :)

While there is something to be said about not procrastinating and taking the plunge, I'm a big fan making more calculated moves.

Besides, the biggest thing that has me in a holding pattern is finishing off my masters degree. It's something that I want to do, and I don't have that much longer to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci