• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#121 jfrank

jfrank
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:49 PM

take the plunge!!! JFDI

I have just arrived back from another trip to LOS...and depression has already set in....long commute and a 45 plus hour work week

Spyder, when it comes to age I have an 8 year start on you, so my play time is reduced to maybe 7 years

Do I hold the security of employment and make 2 or 3 trips a year, or take the plunge and flee the west. 

I grapple with this question all of the time.

If I only new when my expiry date was......but I guess I should always assume it is tomorrow !!

In refection I think I may be answering my own question.

#122 veveron

veveron
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:02 PM

Living in Patts was nice but I got in to, partying daily :) it was fun at first but then I realised I was just rotting away, then I changed my life style after  6 months and having spent a lot of money...

You know I hear a lot of people say that, maybe it's just be a personality thing, but I came to view lb/gg attempts to go clubbing/other bars as just another tactic to turn a LT into ST...or no time. Gave in at first, but now it's a clear, no.

#123 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:56 PM

Think about why you "really" need the degree, I have about 5 serious :( academic qualifications and abotu 12 professional qualifications, quite a lot of academic publications, but it's all crap, that i probably used to cover my lack of self esteem!

Well, let me rattle off a quick list:

- I want it because it is an unfulfilled goal

- I'm enjoying the course work

- the tuition is being paid for as part of my veterans benefits

- it is a slight boost to my resume should I decide to return to work

Do I really "need" to finish my master's? I suppose not, but I'm going to finish it at this point.

About the only negative I can think of is it is keeping me in the states a bit longer, but moving to Thailand is a big step in my opinion. I like the idea of making sure I have all my affairs in order, and this is giving me the time to square things away.

There is something to be said for the "Just fucking do it" mentality, but I want to avoid things like having a "new car rotting away in storage."

#124 jfrank

jfrank
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:09 PM

Can you do the MSc remotely? from Thailand? or maybe you can get a transfer to a uni in Thailand? what I have realized from my life experience so far is that If I wait for everything to be sorted out, I will be waiting for ever. I was scared when I did what I did, but fear was a good indication that I was doing the right thing. I am not suggesting you should do what I did!

If I had stayed in the UK, I probably would have had serious health consequences! while I do miss my car, and it's rotting away, I would have missed the great adventure I had in the past 5 years, had I not done a JFDI :)

Life really is too short, and  Life is far too important to be taken seriously -- OW

#125 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

I was just reading about the Bank of Bangkok's New York Branch, and it seems that it is possible to receive direct deposit of federal retirement and VA benefits into a Thai Bank account. I've read that page a couple of times, and I didn't see anything about incurring any fees for a foreign transfer through this method.

Although, it seems that I'd have to open two accounts with Bangkok Bank, and then do a transfer from the Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit Account to a Bangkok Bank Thai account to be able to do an ATM withdrawal inside Thailand, otherwise you have to go to the bank in person to withdraw funds. I wonder if that is where you'd get hit with an international transfer fee? If I am reading that correctly, it seems like no fees are incurred.

It also says that funds are converted into baht using the rate for receiving electronic funds transfers (Buying TT rate). I'm not too sure if that is a better rate or not, but they are touting it as a benefit.

Any Americans out there that have done this? It seems worth a little more research.

http://www.bangkokba...ndsfromusa.aspx

Edited by Spyder Rocket, 20 September 2014 - 10:23 PM.

#126 sharkdog

sharkdog
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:07 PM

I was just reading about the Bank of Bangkok's New York Branch, and it seems that it is possible to receive direct deposit of federal retirement and VA benefits into a Thai Bank account. I've read that page a couple of times, and I didn't see anything about incurring any fees for a foreign transfer through this method.

Bangkok Bank has an office in New York that is licensed by the U.S. Federal Reserve as a U.S. bank.  Their SWIFT code for bank transfers is BKKBTHBK, and their routing number is 026 008 691.

Set up a normal savings account at any Bangkok Bank office in Thailand (there are restrictions on doing this, if on a tourist visa you cannot open an account).

You can then transfer US Dollars from any financial institution in the US (bank, investment house, etc.) to your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand as a domestic US transfer, and not incur international transfer fees.  I'd guess direct deposits work the same way but have never tried that.

When Bangkok Bank's NY office receives your money, they deposit it into your account in Thailand in Thai Baht, usually within 2 days.  The exchange rate is good and there is no transaction fee (they need US Dollars for outgoing transactions and are happy to receive your money).

Because Bangkok Bank has a New York office and good international connections, they are probably the fastest Thai bank for completing international transfers. 

• Spyder Rocket likes this

#127 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:34 PM

Yes, I've read a bit more on this and it seems like this is the best option for me.

#128 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:27 AM

I would be interested if anyone has any experience of this: http://tielandtothai...atm-fee-refund/

The website for the link above appears in no way affiliated to Charles Schwabs. The site is basically the journal of an American couple who moved to Thailand. 

Meum cerebrum nocet

#129 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:30 AM

I would be interested if anyone has any experience of this: http://tielandtothai...atm-fee-refund/

The website for the link above appears in no way affiliated to Charles Schwabs. The site is basically the journal of an American couple who moved to Thailand.

I'm thinking those two are professional bloggers and that is a sponsored blog post, or endorsement advertising.

It still could be accurate information, just because it is advertising doesn't mean that it is wrong. You'll probably have to go read Schwabs website to check their story. :)
  • dixon cox likes this

#130 veveron

veveron
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:39 PM

Well, the Schwab bank account information is accurate. I have one and they refund all the fees from any ATM in the world.  End of each month I get hundreds credited back, usually more than the interest revenue on the account.

• dixon cox likes this

#131 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:04 PM

It has been awhile since I've posted a update on my plans.

I floated a few copies of my resume, not really caring if I got any job offers or not.

I got offered a job with a U.S. Company in Japan and I'm going to take their offer. I should be in Tokyo by January.

I'll probably still retire to Thailand, but I'm going to back to Japan for a year at least.
  • batman4ever and jaybee111 like this

#132 JustSumGai

JustSumGai
  • Members
  • 167 posts
  • Locationon the Gulf of Mexico

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:14 PM

apparently no one moves to Thailand anymore, this thread is pretty dead.

What *I* wonder is how many do it by flipping back and forth from say Cambodia to Thailand and back, or Laos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci