Jimbo's Rant Thread

• Please log in to reply
333 replies to this topic

#217 brad654

brad654
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

Hey only one more partial night and back to business jimbo. Are you planning on opening at midnight

#218 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:50 PM

Irritating things about 7/11

- despite the fact that there's a 7/11 every 50 metres, gaining access to them is another matter. You usually have to squeeze through a narrow gangway left by the stalls set up outside.

- why is the rubbish bin always overflowing?

- that bing-bong noise when you enter. Thats fair enough but the fookin thing goes off when anyone is within 8 feet of the door. And where's the till? Right next to the door. Bing-bong, bing-fuckin-bong the whole time.

- Why do they hide normal things like eggs low down at the back of the shop hidden behind rows and rows of "Fish gut and dog spit" salty snacks. (Whatever happened to good 'ol cheese and onion flavor?)

- assistants that shrug and say "Huh?" when you ask where she's hiding the fucking eggs;

- those stupid little microwave snacks that cost 15 baht and take forever to cook for the thai thug thats in front of me in the queue;

- and i hate those motorcy guys that barge in for their bottle of Hong Thong without any regard to the queue;

- and the bargirl with squirly tattoos up its chubby little legs, hunched over its iPhone, that goes straight in for 100 baht top-up, again without any regard to the queue;

- why do they count the change 3 times?

- and they've never got enough change anyway, and have to bend down to their security box on the floor and get out 10 x 100Bt notes, count them 3 times, put them in the till, and then get your change, count it 3 times, before you finally make it outside;

The best one in Patong is a copy that just calls itself "11" with the same red and green logo, just outside Bangla. Run by an indian family. Now those guys know how to run corner shops!

• MrDragon likes this

#219 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:47 PM

They probably count the change three times because they are personally responsible for shortages.

• Prisit and jonnieb like this

#220 KendoUK

KendoUK
  • Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:01 AM

There is a Family Mart near me where the "bing bong" sounds like the batteries are dying, as you said the thing goes off whenever someone gets within a mile of the shop so if I was on the staff I'd probably have gone stir crazy by now and pulled the plug on it.

Also the way they greet you when you come in, even though I dart through the door straight to my target aisle so I'm halfway over the shop by the time they get to the second part of "Sawat-DEE...." so just give them a half glance and a token smile.

I remember seeing a stretch of road in Khon Kaen with 3 7/11's in a confined area with a mini-Tesco sandwiched in the middle. I ask myself how some of these shops ever make any money, especially with so many of these little unofficial "Mum and Dad" shops knocking about as well.

I get your complaint about the crisp flavours, my mate bought me over a multi pack of Monster Munch....gone in 3 days  :blush:

Wish they would stock larger boxes of Corn Flakes, they only do the pathetic sized ones for 10bt, need about 3 to fill your bowl so I usually have to trek to Big C to get a decent sized one that will last me close to a week.

For all it's ills, nothing beats that aircon blast as you walk in on a hot day and I do love their Raisin Rolls and Ham & Cheese toasties. "You want warm???".....No I'm gonna eat it raw!

Another bonus for me, my closest one is at a nearby hospital so there's always lots of nurses in there.

• MrDragon likes this

zinc n B-6 deficiency's, tends to make folks post crazy things like ''your a fagg you never fuked a trannie prostitute''.. - Boomdraw

#221 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:45 AM

A contrarian response! It's their country! You don't like, find another store (if you can). Or go home! Yeah, not likely!
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#222 Nick Bullseye

Nick Bullseye
  • Members
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:19 AM

A contrarian response! It's their country! You don't like, find another store (if you can). Or go home! Yeah, not likely!

Do not be so negative about them, Thailover. They need to decompress. Writing a rant is a way to do it.

• MrDragon likes this

Nick Bullseye

#223 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:26 AM

That was a classic rant, and I often enjoy rants like that myself. In the grand scheme of things, rants about 7/11s don't really matter; however, that is exactly why they are fun to rant about.

There is a shopping center near me that I refer to as Dumbville, because I know every time I pull into the parking lot that I'll see, at minimum, seven or eight prime examples of dumbness. Be it from the customers from the three cut-rate liquor stores, the lottery agent shop, or the Hip-Hop Chicken & Fish Shack. Someone will pull a jackass move and nearly hit your car, guaranteed.

There is a possibility of getting mugged, stabbed, or shot in that place after dark, but during daytime hours you have to watch out for the old folks who shouldn't be driving anymore.

I try to steer clear of it, but I do like get my fix of collards greens and fried chicken once in a while.

#224 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

This is a rant thread thailover. Meant to be humorous. You live in Thailand too, so don't tell me you don't feel the frustrations!

• MrDragon and Janus like this

#225 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

My apologies. If you note the time of the post, it was alcohol-induced. Somehow I keep ignoring the post-it notes telling me to stay off the internet when drunk!
  • jimbo34, dixon cox, goodenough and 2 others like this

#226 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:36 PM

My apologies. If you note the time of the post, it was alcohol-induced. Somehow I keep ignoring the post-it notes telling me to stay off the internet when drunk!

Ha!

I wish I could say that I've never done that, but back around my birthday in January, I logged onto this forum very drunk, was drinking Ouzo at a party and after the taxi dropped me off at my doorstep, I decided to go in the house and post some incoherent shit in here.

I was lucky enough to get DC to remove it the next day. :)

#227 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:51 PM

i'm embarrassed! I'm now the poster-child for the old adage, better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and prove it. Sorry, but will it happen again? No promises, but I'll try. 

#228 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

http://phuketwan.com...ce-chief-20394/

Today - not a rant !

In fact the opposite!

I'm rejoicing that the authorities seem to be addressing the tuk-tuk problem on the island. We're a long way from solving the pricing issue, but at least they seem to be tackling the mob mentality.

I'm adopting General Prayuth as my "uncle" - i love him!

• MrDragon likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci