333 replies to this topic

#193 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:58 PM

Having acquired a Retirement visa recently the thought of not having to exit Thailand every 90 days is definitely a nice one. I need now only get a songtaew to Chonburi immigration office in Jomtien for 10 baht every 90 days instead of leaving the country. In fact, I just go to my agent's office and have a cigarette while they go and deal with it on my behalf. If I do want to leave the Kingdom I need a re-entry permit in order not to ruin the visa.

I'm guessing you have a Business visa Jim. It does seem like a pain, but I didn't think you had to exit the country every 90 days with that.

I used to enjoy my month in Cambodia every 3 months but it began to wear a bit thin after 18 months of it. Those 90 day periods seemed to come around quicker and faster as time went by.

I still like Phnom Penh though and may well take a side trip once in a while, but not for a month. From Pochentong Airport to Riverside area is a piece of cake, although costs for rides have increased now. Since New Year tuk-tuks ask for $10 within the airport compound but can still be had for $7 just outside, which is only a two minute walk away. Also, taxis are $12 instead of the old $10. I always enjoyed that tuk-tuk ride into town, it awakens the senses.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#194 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

I always assumed you just just take a bus/drive up to the Myanmar border? Or do you have to re-enter by air?

Find us on facebook: LADYBOYFORUM

#195 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

Having acquired a Retirement visa recently the thought of not having to exit Thailand every 90 days is definitely a nice one. I need now only get a songtaew to Chonburi immigration office in Jomtien for 10 baht every 90 days instead of leaving the country. In fact, I just go to my agent's office and have a cigarette while they go and deal with it on my behalf. If I do want to leave the Kingdom I need a re-entry permit in order not to ruin the visa.

I'm guessing you have a Business visa Jim. It does seem like a pain, but I didn't think you had to exit the country every 90 days with that.

I used to enjoy my month in Cambodia every 3 months but it began to wear a bit thin after 18 months of it. Those 90 day periods seemed to come around quicker and faster as time went by.

I still like Phnom Penh though and may well take a side trip once in a while, but not for a month. From Pochentong Airport to Riverside area is a piece of cake, although costs for rides have increased now. Since New Year tuk-tuks ask for $10 within the airport compound but can still be had for $7 just outside, which is only a two minute walk away. Also, taxis are $12 instead of the old $10. I always enjoyed that tuk-tuk ride into town, it awakens the senses.

Yes, i have a B visa, DC.

And good cause for another rant actually!

In order to avoid the 90 day runs, i have to produce 16 different documents. All in duplicate. Some notarised. All signed on every page by both partners. Rubber stamped by the relative authorities, signed by authorised notaries etc et-fucking-cetera!!

Including VAT returns - we always seem to fall just outside the threshold, thereby not paying it!

National Insurance records - again thai employees do not understand NI, so prefer to "stay under the radar" with that one.

I manage to get the B visa in the Uk where the documentation isn't quite so intense, but i'm getting pretty sick of their silly ineptocracy, and way well revert to Retirement visa, just to avoid the hassle - and expense!

#196 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

I know i shouldn't laugh - 5 people died, and many more injured, but have you seen the Bangkok story about the clowns in the scrap yard that tried to dismantle a WW2 unexploded bomb - using a blowtorch !!   TiT !

#197 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

I saw that earlier, I actually read that 8 people were killed and 20 injured - crazy stuff. Some people get blinded by $$$$ signs that they fail to see consequence, especially in Thailand.

There's a video report on it here (you can see how huge the explosions must have been - http://www.bangkokpo...vor-tells-story

• jaybee111 likes this

Find us on facebook: LADYBOYFORUM

#198 Shining-Path

Shining-Path
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

Many years ago i worked as a consultant for a Thai managed company and as business was slow in my sector, i went out to customers and got us some pretty decent contracts that brought in good money.

What was the reaction from the management?

Pat on the back? well done?

Was it fuck, they basically stopped talking to me as it wasn't my job to be winning work,  the woman who's job it was to handle english language business sales was related to the owner and she lost a lot of face by me getting the work without her.

This woman barely spoke a word of English by the way, which is maybe why she wasn't very successful at it?

It ruined my relationship with the company and i was gone within a few months. 

In my last few weeks with them i had some people in from Standard Chartered in to talk about a potentially big project, and the CEO, instead of standing up and shaking hands with these potential customers, left them standing in the corridor for 10 minutes whilst he played FIFA on the Playstation in full view of them. 

never worked for a Thai company since.

• MrDragon, jimbo34, batman4ever and 1 other like this

#199 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

Interesting story Shining Path, and exemplifies why Thailand fails on so many levels.

#200 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:37 PM

Many years ago i worked as a consultant for a Thai managed company and as business was slow in my sector, i went out to customers and got us some pretty decent contracts that brought in good money.

What was the reaction from the management?

Pat on the back? well done?

Was it fuck, they basically stopped talking to me as it wasn't my job to be winning work,  the woman who's job it was to handle english language business sales was related to the owner and she lost a lot of face by me getting the work without her.

This woman barely spoke a word of English by the way, which is maybe why she wasn't very successful at it?

It ruined my relationship with the company and i was gone within a few months. 

In my last few weeks with them i had some people in from Standard Chartered in to talk about a potentially big project, and the CEO, instead of standing up and shaking hands with these potential customers, left them standing in the corridor for 10 minutes whilst he played FIFA on the Playstation in full view of them. 

never worked for a Thai company since.

Perhaps you could have consulted the lady in charge of sales and explained that you had some potential customers and offered your services to translate as required, and then allowed her to take the thing to management? Bypassing chain of command in any company can cause problems even if you were only a consultant.

Similarly, did you give the CEO a chance to vet and approve the approach to StanChart, and did he agree to the meeting time and date or did you just tell him that the StanChart people were coming on X date?

#201 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

Perhaps you could have consulted the lady in charge of sales and explained that you had some potential customers and offered your services to translate as required, and then allowed her to take the thing to management? Bypassing chain of command in any company can cause problems even if you were only a consultant.

Similarly, did you give the CEO a chance to vet and approve the approach to StanChart, and did he agree to the meeting time and date or did you just tell him that the StanChart people were coming on X date?

I've got to agree with this, in American companies bypassing a boss almost always results in ill feelings. I've got to admit that I would be pissed off if one of my subordinates, but especially a colleague in a lateral department, suddenly started doing things in my area of responsibility without talking to me first.

That sort of thing is basic corporate protocol that transcends Thailand.

#202 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

Oh good grief! 

I thought i'd left all that corporate bullshit behind! This so reminds me why i've always worked for myself.

I got briefly involved in all that bollocks when a company i owned until 1992 was taken over by a PLC, and i had to stay on for 2 years on contract. When the time came to renew i told them what i thought and got the "I suppose that means you're not staying, then?" question.

"Correct!"

• strobriand likes this

#203 batman4ever

batman4ever

• Moderators
  • 4,822 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

Guess we have to put this tread on hold for a couple of days..... :butterfly:

Jimbo will anyhow be so happy everyday playing with Water,so he wont have time for ranting... :mrgreen:

:whistle:

A ladyboy is a kind of creature...that makes a txt saying...dont you trust me...and send it to 20 people... :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/ladyboyforum

#204 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

Songkran is the worst thing about Thailand (apart from corruption, bombs, thieves, bad directions, love you long time, etc.)
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci