BA cabin crew to strike over Xmas

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#25 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:15 AM

Without the protection of a union the workforce has no protection from managerial abuse....................to deny this right is stupidity.

Forget the bad name unions got 20/30 years ago........they exist as realistic professional bodies these days..............

Calm down FB and enjoy the countdown to your next trip............ :butterfly: :old:
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#26 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:54 AM

Without the protection of a union the workforce has no protection from managerial abuse.

Welcome to the real world!

If you don't think your current remuneration outways your current job's conditions and requirements then look for another job, just like everybody else does.

We all like to whinge sometimes, me being no exception, but you have the choice. There are other people who want your job and they're standing right behind you.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#27 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:18 AM

You whinge..............never!

Nah you miss my point.........no-one I know wants more than what they have signed up to.............its when they move the goalposts with no consultation and take away previously agreed benefits.................usually at the whim of local management....

and to expect you to go along with it and the underlying threat to your livelihood.............I've voted with my feet twice due to these circumstances....................

I've worked in FB's aviation world and usually shortcuts undermine one important factor..........safety.

Every member of the cabin crew has vital duties in addition to the day job of making "Tea"..........to erode the team numbers surely eats into your potential safety in the air or in case of emergency......................by adding extra workload to an already over-stretched crew...................

The reason the BA staff are considering taking this action displays their concerns over the depletion of the team's performance and erosing of their abilities.............

We all want a job..............but to what expense..........?
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#28 FatboyUK

FatboyUK
  • Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:19 AM

Calm down FB and enjoy the countdown to your next trip............ :butterfly: :old:

64 nights......
If it fails to inflate....blow into this tube.

#29 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:23 AM

first of all badpress, i did not realise that maggie thatcher was posting here.
your right wing views are not welcommed in my neck of the woods .
and imho are certainly not the views of the ordinary working man.
who do you think fought through various courts to get workers rights for hand arm vibration, asbestosis??, the unions.
i myself had held the position of shop steward for a few years, and if you cared to even scrape the surface of what unions do, rather than making sweeping statements you would realise that the unions are an essential cog in making working relaetionships better.
the shop steward/union are mediators between the shop floor and the higher management, and most problems are solved this way.
the unions/employers train shop stewards in health and safety issues to make sure the workplace is a safer place for eveyone.
i have had to deal with bullying, unfair dismissal ect ect.
also if you are in a union and have an accident at work the union will fight your case free of charge.
i could go on and on here, but will not, in short i hate right wing ignorant pigs.
oh, and if the tories were still in power believe you me, you would still of had people working for 2 pounds an hour :tantrum: :ang3:
with next to no right of union representation.

#30 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:14 AM

...I've voted with my feet twice due to these circumstances...

Precisely, my point exactly.

Good on you for walking the walk... to freedom!

We can all moan about our jobs and conditions, but the bottom line is that nobody is holding a gun to our heads to stay. I'm not belittling the situation for people who work in poor conditions or where their treatment at work is not good. So use the best weapons you have, they're at each end of your body, your brain and your feet.

Unite's tactics in wishing to cause this planned level of disruption to the general travelling public at such a peak time of year will hopefully result in the public choosing not to use BA in the future. Therefor biting the hand that feeds them by ultimately losing BA it's customers.

And for those BA employees who ballotted for strike action, they have little or no sympathy from me when they finally lose their jobs through BA's lack of customers once sufficient numbers have chosen not to fly with the UK's flag-ship airline, especially if wage comparisons between BA and other airlines are anything to go by. Unfortunately, for some people in large organisations, they have become so institutionalised and lack the means, either skills or balls, with which to make a move elsewhere.

It is precisely situations such as this which reinforce my choice to be a contractor, I suffer no internal company politics or bullshit, if I don't like it I leave. The choice is always mine and it is yours too.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#31 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

• Guests

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:17 AM

dc where are all these new jobs going to come from???????
just now i am lucky to have a job, with my trade i am lucky i am not working in the house building environment , but another aspect which will always need done, but that is just for me, so i know how difficult it would be for most people to "just walk out"
it is not like 30 years ago, when the uk had pits, steel ect ect and you could finish up on the friday and start a new job on the monday,
even academics in this climate are not getting jobs after completing their degrees.
and as for retrainning, this takes a lot of time, with you having to put up with handouts for a long time, which again a family of say 4/5 could not affoard to do.
i do realise what you are saying dixon, but just realise mate that it is not that easy to do what you are suggesting in every job/trade. i can see this being easier doing this in the for example it industry, as without computers we would be knacked, so always plenty jobs, for companies, or even self employment.
af for the ba lads, most of them will like working for ba, and would not want to see customers stay away, however if the amount of cabin staff was getting cut to a level where you felt it would cause a risk to health and safety, and if there is an accident whilist in mid air, the out come is usually death, i would have went on strike as well. as the cabin crew lock the doors ect ect, and if you have less time to concentrate on jobs as you have too much to do, then you have problems.
well before this with management cockups, t5 i would have stayed well clear then.
just my view here lads, not so much merry xmas as i canny be doing with it, but have a very happy new year, cheers rev1888

#32 badpress

badpress
  • Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:46 AM

Rev, I appreciate what you are saying, and although my post makes me come across as totally rightwing, I can assure I am all for the working man getting a fair wage and fair working conditions. I am an average working man myself. My key gripe with unions comes from my days as a shop steward myself, and also serving on the branch committee about 12 years ago. All too often unions are used as a tool for lazy bastards to hide behind. We have to face facts that we are working in the worst economic downturn for many years, and sacrifices have to be made by everybody. Only a few years ago, my company was losing money at an alarming rate and I had to accept that I ay lose my job, or be asked to take on extra duties to save it. I chose the latter.
In my experience one of the essientials for a strike being successful is to gain public sympathy. The proposedBA strike, and the recent Royal Mail strike failed to do that, and turned the public against them.Are the BA workers too ignorant to realise their former flagship is losing a fortune. Equally do they expect us to feel sorry for them when they were willing to ruin Christmas for hundreds of thousands of people - many of whom are working class people who worked their ass off all year to pay for!!!!
My key gripe however is the officials, who in my experience in my union, have lost all touch with the working man, and in their high paid, high powered job are no better than the chief execs who we all loathe!!!

#33 ScottishLadyboyTerrorist

ScottishLadyboyTerrorist
  • Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:07 AM

That was my point also.

The main crotch of the issue here is that FBUK was trying to give us all an explanation as to why the BA staff were petitioning to strike..

If it werent for FB, we would be none the wiser - apart form what shit we are shovelled in the news.. So... Thanks FB. By the way, you need to get a suntan ''J''.

badpress mentions the postal strike too, Thank fuck I dont live in the UK anymore (for the time being)... The country is falling apart man.

Also, it's good that a forum like this can be on hand with many lads who have experience under their belts on a whole host of subjects...

anyway - baa humbug and up yer arses.... hohoho

#34 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

• Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:46 AM

i know where you are comming from badpress, well said, however i disagree. but hey this is the great thing about a forum buddy, you get to see everyones different opinion.
sorry if i came over a bit strong regarding the right wing remark.
take it easy and have a good festive break, rev

#35 badpress

badpress
  • Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:07 AM

Cheers Rev, and SLBT.I will have a good festive break - heading to Samui on tuesday. :D Downside is I'll have the folks on tow, so lb action will be minimal.

#36 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

• Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:11 AM

sore one m8, take it when folks are off to bed you will be slinking about looking for action :lol:
done it myself

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci