BA cabin crew to strike over Xmas

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#13 FatboyUK

FatboyUK
  • Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:45 AM

To all of you that this may affect........

We DO NOT want to have to do this

And hopefully, within the next few days, we'll find out that we don't have to, and I can return to work and take everyone to far flung places for Xmas.

We have been forced into this position by a mangement hell bent on chopping, cutting, and getting rid of everything BA stands for, is, or would one day, like to be.

If anyone is affected, feel free to PM me so I can perhaps pass on any information I have available to me.

Don't believe all what the newspapers say. I am not on £35,000 a year. There are a number of reasons why we are doing this. It's not just about pay, or losing one crew member on a long haul flight (What the media are leaving out is that on shorthaul, up to 4 crew members have been taken off, leaving just 3 crew to try and look after 132 people in a 28 minute flight to Manchester)

Above all else, we are doing this so that 12 months down the line, we still have a job, because if it's up to our CEO, we wont have.

And if that affects someones holiday, I'm sorry, but on this occasion, I, or indeed WE have to think about ourselves for once, and not the passengers we build our career looking after.
If it fails to inflate....blow into this tube.

#14 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:28 AM

you do not have to explain yourself to me fatboy, you have my backing all they way.
whats his name willy walsh i think, tinkered with air lingus and fucked it up, now it appears he is going the same way with ba.
glad you have stuck up to him.
and for any public that points the finger at the cabin crew need not, they should start pointing the finger at the management.
what i believe is that the pilots have given back 2 .5 percnet and will get this back in two years through bonuses ect.
however the cabin crew wanted this, but did not want their money back, only to be reinststed to what they were previously on.
mr willy said , no, what else was there left to do but strike.
fatboy, or any one else please correct me, if this is not accurate, but what i have heard it is pretty much on the mark.

#15 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:37 PM

I really don't have a problem with it either. But the dates picked are very bad. I would guess that was done to maximize the effect. But it makes the strikers look like the Grinch that stole Christmas.
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#16 redrock

redrock
  • Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:29 PM

I understand what your saying Fatboy and I believe that BA's management are wankers. But, I'll never fly with BA and I know there are a lot of people thinking the same. Strike or no strike, I don't have confidence in the company anymore.

#17 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:14 PM

If I had a choice with whom I fly............I'd have to agree with Redrock......

I've been flying with BA and other carriers for the last 20 odd years...........with a minimum of 12 trips per year though for the last 3 years this can peak at 50..................

A lot of the quality of the flight stems from the crew............and the only inconsistency within my experience has been with BA crews....

However, one of their biggest gaffs was pulling out of a certain Middle Eastern route which was a big slap in the face for the host country and an embarrassment for GB.............

Their excuse............not profitable............how can you call full flights every trip that?

Apart from that...............from what FB says and other information I've read the only choice of the BA staff is to strike at this crucial time..............remember, Wily Walsh (no spelling mistake) can easily avert this particular course of action............

If he is not listening to the message his ground troops are sending him then this may be his last battle.................at the expense of the nations Flag Carrying Airline and the ensuing job losses...........
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#18 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:29 PM

I really appreciate being proud of national carrier but times has changed. Allover EU I got signals from my colleagues from legal departments they have to fly in economy class and pick the cheapest provider – loyalty of “government customers” is now really worth 1 cent. Hell, even ministers & CEOs of government owned companies :wnkr: in my country now have to fly in tourist class… serves them well. :angel:

I do hope BA and other national carriers will finally realize you can’t just put national flag on airplane and demand twice what Emirates or others would charge for same destination flight.

Just an example, I pay less for ticket from Frankfurt to Bangkok than I would have to pay from Ljubljana – Stockholm regular price with our national carrier. And our carrier uses 18+ year old Airbus 320 so there is no excuse about better quality.

BR

#19 Ericthehalfabee

Ericthehalfabee
  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:03 AM

Strike is off - judged illegal due to a technicality over voting to strike within the union.
"I can feel an angel sliding up to me"

#20 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:59 AM

Strike is off

Yes, but now the SAS ground staff, which includes baggage handlers and check-in staff (also handled by Unite union) are threatening to strike for several lots of 48hours beginning 22nd December. This could affect Turkish, Emirates & Thai Airways at London Heathrow.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#21 FatboyUK

FatboyUK
  • Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

what i believe is that the pilots have given back 2 .5 percnet and will get this back in two years through bonuses ect.
however the cabin crew wanted this, but did not want their money back, only to be reinststed to what they were previously on.
mr willy said , no, what else was there left to do but strike.
fatboy, or any one else please correct me, if this is not accurate, but what i have heard it is pretty much on the mark.

Spot on Rev, not that it, for the time being, matters.

So 1,000,000 Christmases are saved. I am saddened that the strike has been called off, and hope that the re-ballot happens quickly and legally.

In the mean time, I think I best start looking at possible exit strategies, just in case.....

#22 ScottishLadyboyTerrorist

ScottishLadyboyTerrorist
  • Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:44 AM

Wise move FBUK, I'm sure there could be alot more cabin crew thinking of voting with their feet over this too....

BA are way too expensive, I agree. And afterall, if it weren't for the paying passengers on board each flight BA operates, there would be no cabin crew to look after them.

Management sometimes fail to see things from the everyday workers point of view.. They only too easily lose the whole concept of the business.

But the bottom line in all this is simple.. if you have no customers, you dont have an airline...

Feck me!!! I have digressed a fair wee bit there..

I just wanted to wish you all the best for the festivities....

#23 badpress

badpress
  • Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:22 AM

What a lot of bollox this has all become. Which part of BA are losing a fortune is it that the unions don't understand!!!
I am all for sharing the wealth when a company is making a fortune, but when a company is losing money hand over fist, extreme measures have to come in to play. If you are not happy with your pay and conditions, then fuck off and get another job!!
Unions are the trash of modern existence. the union leaders try to tell you they are fighting for the working man, while they are sitting pretty in an 150k per annum job, plus chauffeur driven Limo, laughing all the way to their next all expenses paid function.
For fuck sake people, wake up and smell the shit.

#24 FatboyUK

FatboyUK
  • Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:33 AM

Gotta love this ignore button.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci