• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#13 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:08 AM

5. There was an article in the Bangkok Post recently quoting a top official of the Thai Bankers Assn. as saying the group would reconsider the amount of the fee in the wake of the major negative reaction it had received. From the sound of things, it appeared any reconsideration would be of the amount of the fee, not the notion of the fee itself on foreign card"

The Thai Bankers Assn. is the group that initiated the fee and almost all banks belong to this group. Will be interesting to see if they get enough pressure to actually back the fee down a bit. I hope so but TiT.
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#14 Bowman1415

Bowman1415
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:06 PM

Thai banks asked to cut foreigners' ATM fees.....

bangkokpost.com/business/economics/16138/banks-asked-to-cut-foreigners-atm-fees

Wouldn't get to excited though.... :(
"My problem lies in reconcilling my gross habits with my net income." ERROL FLYN

#15 FatboyUK

FatboyUK
  • Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:21 PM

I took out a Nationwide Flexaccount as their key selling point was "withdraw money abroad for free" Great for all th trips to LOS, and being away with work in Europe I thought.

Since found out, along with the 150 Baht fee, that Nationwide have started charging too on each transaction.

Either one or the other would surely be enough - at the end of the day, it is my money Im withdrawing.

#16 Guest_Vandal_*

Guest_Vandal_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:24 PM

I just closed my nationwide account after over 20years of being with them.

Im now with HSBC, don't know why i didn't switch sooner :!:

#17 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:27 PM

I have a Kasikorn Account in Thailand.

Just sent a few grand over there from my English bank. Only two fees involved - English Bank £9 (online fee) Thai bank 0.25% of amount (maximum 500 baht). So in total it cost me a little over £15 (all fees).

I made sure to send the money as Pound Sterling and Kasikorn gave me a rate of 52.8 bht (compared to the 48 bht uk rate on that day).

I have online banking with both banks and the transfer took 3 working days, and was easily tracked online.

Now most of my trip money is in the bank waiting for me to arrive. If I lose any of my cards whilst out there, I go to the nearest Kasikorn with some ID and they give me a new card.

I can't think of a cheaper, easier or better way to handle your money if you're a regular visitor.

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#18 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:38 PM

kliome's strategy is probably the most efficient way to have your money availalble in LOS with minimal fees.

For a further update it seems that the Bank of Ayudha ATMs still don't charge the 150 Baht ATM fee yet, as of May 27/09 while the other members of the Thai Banker's Association ATMs are charging.

#19 donnykey

donnykey
  • Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:06 PM

Personally I take cash with me and if you trust your Room safe (which I do) you get the benefit of choosing your own rate and no charges involved.....I've got a great Money Exchange which has the best rates and after they know you , you can even haggle a better rate than what is shown. DK
Oh so happy when in LOS

#20 Bumblebee

Bumblebee
  • Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:29 AM

Stickman Weekly 31/5/2009

"If you're making a withdrawal from your ATM card on a foreign bank account in Thailand, UOB Bank is the bank to use as it is fee free, at least until August 11 at which point they will commence charging a 100 baht fee. Other banks are charging 150 baht."

#21 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:06 PM

As a walking ATM I did just that........to find the ATMs were all charging 150 after a few days......next time I will bring cash........and cards!

I shall also open a Thai Bank Account.......which I meant to do this time but got distracted....... :roll:
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#22 FatboyUK

FatboyUK
  • Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:12 PM

Opened a K-Bank accound myself this trip - took a passport, the address of a Laundry shop, and away I go.

ATM card there and then (for a 300 baht fee), and opened account with 500 baht. Hope the transfer of cash is as easy as it sounds.
If it fails to inflate....blow into this tube.

#23 stonefre

stonefre
  • Members
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:09 PM

What is the largest amount one may withdraw from a typical ATM in Thailand?

I've typically always took out 5000 baht increments. With the new fee's I think the largest amount one could withdraw would be advisable.

I'm really thinking of taking a wad of cash or maybe using a combo of cash and ATM withdrawals. Only a few more days before I leave.

#24 Nick Bullseye

Nick Bullseye
  • Members
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:18 PM

What is the largest amount one may withdraw from a typical ATM in Thailand?

I've typically always took out 5000 baht increments. With the new fee's I think the largest amount one could withdraw would be advisable.

I'm really thinking of taking a wad of cash or maybe using a combo of cash and ATM withdrawals. Only a few more days before I leave.

It depends on the type of card you have (standard, gold, platinum,...) and/or the arrangement with your bank.

I withdraw in 20000 baht increments with a VISA Premier card, so that the 150 baht fee does not bother me much.

Nick Bullseye

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci