• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

Just in time for the recession Thai banks are going to start charging a 150 baht ATM fee on foreign cards.

You can find a link to the memo HERE or go straight to the SHORT MEMO.

Almost all banks are a member of this association. You can see the list HERE.
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#2 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:16 PM

Cool. :x
Can anyone provide list of banks or at least one bank, not member of TBA. I think all the banks I used to do business with are on the list.

BR

#3 aktiv-passiv

aktiv-passiv
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:32 AM

They might get a lot of trouble with credit card companies and foreign banks if tourists start to complain. The issuer of my german Visa Card promises worldwide ATM use without any fees as long as the ATM carries a VISA sign.

So it will be easy to get a refund for any fee. (Will take a picture of every ATM I use to proof the Visa sign.)

The Thai banks also should not be able to hide the fee by using a bad exchange rate. The partner banks of credit card companies usually have to use the official rate published by the CC company.
  • Colby likes this

#4 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:45 AM

More reason to get a Thai bank account :|

Meum cerebrum nocet

#5 SwineCanine

SwineCanine
  • Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

Most guys find that Kasikorn (green bank) is the easiest bank in which to get an account if you're on a tourist visa.

Bangkok Bank may be the cheapest when doing a wire transfer to the LOS as I've heard (but never done) that you can do an ACH transfer to the London or New York branch avoiding some of the fees.

#6 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

Most guys find that Kasikorn (green bank) is the easiest bank in which to get an account if you're on a tourist visa.

I was told that Kasikorn would likely give you an account even if you are in on a 30 tourist stamp. But I frequently hear they are the easiest.
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#7 Drift Spunk

Drift Spunk
  • Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

150+125 oz fee + 124 conversioin fee from 10,000= 400b to make a fucking transaction! :evil:

#8 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:04 PM

No 150 baht transaction charge at the "K" ATM's - green machines, all over Pattaya. Affiliated with one of the 7/11 type convenience stores?

#9 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:10 AM

if it is costing you this much, why not take TC's, your bank should give you them commission free (loyds tsb, do)
and i always go to the same place in patts, where they charge no commission on exchanging TC's .

#10 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:12 AM

No 150 baht transaction charge at the "K" ATM's - green machines, all over Pattaya. Affiliated with one of the 7/11 type convenience stores?

Green K ATMs are Kasikorn Bank. So far they are not charging the 150 baht fee.

#11 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:41 PM

It's at least 15 years since I last bought travelers checks in preparation for a trip. Just can't be bothered given how easy it is to get cash from an ATM.

#12 Bumblebee

Bumblebee
  • Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:21 PM

Got this from the Bangkok Post forum

"Re: Tourism what are they thinking?

by LAGuyinBKK on Wed May 06, 2009 7:16 am [58.8.212.xx]
To try to set the record straight on a few things...

1. The 150 baht fee (roughly $4.25 U.S.) began in mid-April on ATM withdrawals made only using foreign debit or credit cards. The fee is a flat fee, meaning it is charged by the Thai bank regardless of how small or large an amount of cash is withdrawn. The same fee is not being applied if someone (Thai or farang) is using a Thai bank ATM card.

2. Prior to mid-April, BKK Bank charged no fee in the Bangkok area for ATM withdrawals made using foreign cards. And Siam Commercial Bank had long charged no fee, but only earlier this year on its own imposed a 20 baht per withdrawal fee. Both BKK Bank and SCB now are among those charging the 150 baht fee per withdrawal using foreign ATM cards.

3. Many, but not all, Thai banks are charging this 150 baht fee at present. Based on the experience of many users, as of early May, the following banks are not charging this fee at any of their ATMs: Kasikorn Bank (green), Bank of Ayudhya (yellow) and Government Savings Bank (pink). Some have also reported that UOB (United Overseas Bank) is not charging the fee, though I can't personally attest to that.

4. From all indications, the fee was not the result of any government tax or policy, but rather, a business decision sanctioned by the trade group known as the Thai Bankers Assn., which has as its members virtually all of the larger banks in Thailand. From all indications, however, the individual banking companies have the freedom (business discretion) to decide whether or not they actually want to charge this fee. Most are. Some are not.

5. There was an article in the Bangkok Post recently quoting a top official of the Thai Bankers Assn. as saying the group would reconsider the amount of the fee in the wake of the major negative reaction it had received. From the sound of things, it appeared any reconsideration would be of the amount of the fee, not the notion of the fee itself on foreign card"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci