Digital Camera Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#37 gaz

gaz
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:28 AM

Thanks for the advice it is in my price range for a camera just the website i sometimes take pics for recommened the Cannon G9 they both more or less priced the same but he did say to me it was cheaper to get it in thailand for around £200 pounds in Pantip plaza in Bangkok I can get one through jessops for £339 and i

see the sony one more or less the same price what u thoughts on this camera ?I not buy it yet but i keen to get one of them as i am only starting out and i dont have the exp for a complicated slr camera yet as i still learning to take decent pics and setting up proper lighting i read the specs on the cannon and they had really good reviews about it. for low light etc

#38 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:14 AM

Gareth, it depends on what your aims are in photography. The Canon G9 is a good camera, pretty much the top end of the point and shoot category - the sensor size is the same as the smaller cameras. Only the dSLRs have a larger sensor which give the best image quality.

Here is a review of the Sony Alpha 200: Steve's Digicam's Alpha 200 Review

The dSLRs give more flexibility and creativity than the point and shoots (including the advanced ones like the Canon G9). You have more lens options, greater creativity with more control over the shutter speed, f-stops, better flash control - Sony gives wireless flash capability with their external flashes.

Sony has advantages over Canon and Nikon with the in camera antishake, so any lens used has image stabilization.

#39 gaz

gaz
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:49 AM

That is a smart camera I think maby a little bit to advance for me at the moment as i battle a bit with this tec till i learnt to control it
I have full time job and i pretty much happy with at the mommet i only do pics as a hobby and part time when i holiday until such a

point i good enough to do full time then i agree with u 100% about getting one but i think for holiday snaps and doing pics here and there the Cannon G 9 is a good one to learn all the functions and getting used to the high quility pics only then i think i can move up to the slr they reccon it good enough for the website so i not sure what to do yet
Thats a big camera to carry around for shoots it ok
But for traveling and taking pics it lot of risk to carry a exp camera like that around and high risk of it being stolen

#40 texmark

texmark
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:05 PM

the Panasonic FX range is definetly a good choice for the ultracompact cams. i ve a FX35 for four weeks now and am quite happy with it. The stabilizer is fine with bad light situations, but the biggest feature is the 25mm optic which means more Lb´s per picture :wink:

#41 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:24 PM

Gareth, I think I better reply to your post before you disappear back to work again!

Don't rule out the Sony Alpha 200, if you want to move up in your photography skills, a dSLR is the way to go. You will have a lot more creative options than a Canon G9.

I take my Minolta 5D dSLR (fore runner to the Sony Alpha series) the last 5 trips to Thailand without any problems. You must be careful, but common sense and staying sober when you are using it will generally keep things safe.

#42 daones

daones
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:20 PM

Ive always liked the canon sd series because small enough to fit in your pocket when you go out.. almost small as a mobile phone. Just dont do what i did and get drunk and put it in your back pocket.. I broke mine that way.
whos ya daddy?

#43 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:48 PM

I'll admit to knowing very little about Camera's..

I'm thinking of buying a Sony Cybershot DSC-H10 at around £200 and could do with some advice.

Am I getting the one of the best camera's for my money or am I better of looking at other options.

The reason I chose this model is simply because a friend has one and I've had a play around on it, and it seemed fairly simply to use with good results.

I guess my requirements would be very similar to those of KK, with ease and quality of shots in low-light priority.

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#44 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

Kliome, the Sony Cybershot DSC-H10 reviews comment that overall the photo quality is good, and it has a good zoom range - although not very wide on the wide angle end. However, it is noted that its weak point is low light photos and slow focusing in those situations. Not exactly the kind of performance you need for the "hunt".

However, you need to balance this with other kinds of photos you will taking. If shooting low light photos is not the majority of the photos you take, then it might be ok. One good thing this camera has is a fairly powerful flash for a point and shoot.

If you are going to be taking mostly low light photos, I think you should seriously look at the Fuji F series as discussed earlier in this thread - the F40D is an older model, and probably performs better than the newer F series Fuji. Automorph bought this camera so if you look at his most recent trip reports, will see how it performs. Also KK bought the Panasonic Lumix FX36 - so have a look at his recent photos as well.

Sony does make good cameras, but for the point and shoots, low light ability is not usually a strong performance area.

Good luck in your selection!

#45 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:47 AM

Thanks rxpharm

I'm still waiting for KK's latest report, so I'll hold off my purchase until then.

I get lost in all the photo jargon very quickly. I'm also very shallow, I quite like the idea of having a more bulky camera, it gives people the false impression that I'm a good photographer or have 'big money'.

#46 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:12 AM

You're welcome, but if you really want to impress people buy a digital SLR (single lens reflex). Gaz bought one for his latest trip and photos from this are usually much better than the point and shoots. One of the best values out there is a Sony Alpha 200. Check one of these out if you want to really impress people - plus it can be used fully automatic, if you don't want to spend much time adjusting the settings. Later, if you want to learn it's all there for you to try.

#47 gaz

gaz
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:48 AM

rxpharm: the only thing i have to say about the sony alpha
200 it one the best i have ever used just the lens is very standard 18-75mm which u can manually, Adjust to u liking, It uses a viewfinder everthing is done through this.only bad thing i say, is the flash have to use an external flash but for normal pics it ok

#48 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:38 AM

After a day of reading camera reviews and forums I've narrowed my new camera choices down to the following:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5

Fuji Finepix F50fd

Fuji Finepix F100fd

Canon Powershot SD850/IXUS 950 IS

Canon Powershot SX100 IS
Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I think I'm going to go for the Lumix, they all seem to perform well in low light, but the Lumix has Movies up to 1280 x 720 pixels i.e. HD quality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci