• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#1 fredson66

fredson66
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:53 PM

2 questions please for 1st timer to thailand

1-What's a good digital camera resolution wise?

2- Do the ladyboys look as good in person as in the pictures?
  • ABDUMANAP, scurnSync, Abramovich and 1 other like this

#2 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:25 PM

1) In reality you don't need a camera that has more than 5 megapixels - for posting on the internet that is much more than enough, and can produce 8x10 prints without a problem. Camera companies are pushing higher megapixels as "better", but that is not always the case. You need to look for low light capability or having a reasonable flash for low light situations. I am assuming you will go for a compact "point and shoot" camera as they are easiest to carry and travel with.

2) Many ladyboys look better than their photos and some will look worse, just like any real life people.

• ABDUMANAP and Abramovich like this

#3 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:43 AM

1./ 5MP to 7MP is plenty, have a look here - http://www.dpreview.com/

2./ I would say in almost all cases the girls look better in real life, of course some are more photogenic than others. Many apply make-up in a way (heavy ish) that in normal conditions is fine but a camera flash highlights and can give the girls an almost clown-like or over made-up appearance in flash pictures.

Some of them are so stunning in real life, if you haven't seen these beauties for yourself then you are in for a heck of a time - good luck :mrgreen:

Meum cerebrum nocet

#4 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:32 AM

You need to look for low light capability or having a reasonable flash for low light situations.

Hi Rxpharm,

While we are on this topic, I'm in the market for a new point & shoot camera myself, with the most vital criteria being the ability to shoot great photos in low light situations.

I have a few short listed, but keen to see what others can suggest.

Cheers
Koykaeng
Sign in pub "In case of fire - break glass". Now my beer's gone everywhere, and there's still a fire.

#5 Phil Lander

Phil Lander
  • Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:40 AM

2 -They look much taller in person :D
Phil Lander by name Phillanderer by nature.
The World is my Oyster - Muwhahahahaha!!
A Ladyboy is never early , neither is she ever late . She turns up precisely when she means to.

#6 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:22 PM

Hi Rxpharm,

While we are on this topic, I'm in the market for a new point & shoot camera myself, with the most vital criteria being the ability to shoot great photos in low light situations.

I have a few short listed, but keen to see what others can suggest.

Cheers
Koykaeng

Koykaeng,

I use a dSLR the most as I find the image quality to be much better than point and shoots - however I do understand most people do not want to carry around a big camera like that!

Most camera review sites agree that the Fuji FX30/31d point and shoots were about the best performers in low light. While these are older models, the replacements for them the FX50/100d have good performance, but cannot match the FX30/31d for quality low light performance - mainly because the MP doubled from 6 to 12 in the new cameras.

A good place to read about this is dpreview

Check the Fujfilm Talk Forum as the discussions also get into the limitations of the cameras - some people post that the low light Fujis have some exposure problems in high contrast daylight situations - and some will buy another camera just for daylight use.

I have also seen a few comments that the Canon G9 is also good for low light photography, but it is quite a bit bigger and bulkier - more of a bridge camera between the point and shoots and dSLRs.

Good luck with your search!

#7 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:58 PM

Hi Rxpharm,

Thanks for that information, even if you have just re-confirmed what I had already established. :)

I had the Canon G9 in the four camera I had short listed, and a few searches in relation to "low lighting" had all pointed me towards the Fuji models you referred to.

Will now attempt to make an executive decision. :?

As you rightly say, lugging a digital SLR around can be a pain, especially when you consider all the photos I have captured in the past with my "point & shoot" while bar hopping, etc.

Cheers
Koykaeng
Sign in pub "In case of fire - break glass". Now my beer's gone everywhere, and there's still a fire.

#8 Automorph

Automorph
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:13 PM

Hey all:

Does anyone have anything new to add on this subject?

I don't want to deal with a big dSLR, so on this trip, I'm leaving my Minolta DiMage A2 home and want to buy a subcompact point & shoot, that is good for low light bar and in room pix.

I've seen the reviews on the Fuji Fx50/100D, and it seems like a reasonable choice (albeit a little larger than I want), but I have a BAD history with Fuji digitals. My last two point and shoots were both Fuji's and they both simply broke down (without the benefit of dropping) and one was sent back twice. I'm a little gun shy about going Fuji again.

That said, any OTHER suggestions in the $300 USD range would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

Auto
Never try and teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#9 mike3369

mike3369
  • Members
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:51 PM

I use a Sony DSC-T200 which i have to say has 10/10 in all aspects :D . A great unit i took over 1000 pics during the day and night time they are all very clear :lol:

The best things in life are not free , the best thing in life is being free...Thai girls are honest whores unlike all the dishonest white sluts

#10 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:03 AM

Hi Auto,

I didn't end up buying another camera as yet, as basically I couldn't decide which way to go.

They have just released a number of new models in the Canon IXUS range, which are probably worth taking a closer look at.

I was considering the FUJI cameras mainly because of the Super CCD sensor, which is great in low light situations, which basically tends to be the situation for every photo I snap whilst in Thailand. 8)

Cheers
Koykaeng

#11 LBs4Me

LBs4Me
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:56 PM

I use a Sony DSC-T200 which i have to say has 10/10 in all aspects :D . A great unit i took over 1000 pics during the day and night time they are all very clear :lol:

I have one too Mike and it is a great little unit. Only 5x zoom - but when you're up close and intimate - who needs a 5x zoom!!

Stuart

#12 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:10 PM

It is a personal choice - not everyone has the same criteria and preferences.

I was looking to buy a Digital Point and Shoot. My criteria were:
Pocket sized
8+ Megapixels
Reasonable flash or able to take a 2nd flash unit
Viewfinder - the LCD screens can "wash" in bright sunlight
Image stabilizer
Selection of shooting modes if no manual settings
Optical zoom if possible
Min 2.5 inc LCD screen

I ordered a Canon 970IS (UK Model) 890IS (US model name).
10 Megapixel, Image stabilizer/face detection, 5x Optical zoom and a viewfinder along with 2.5" screen.

It is a new model so not many reviews out yet. I did get some advice from KK and also looked at CNET.com and dpreview.com - eventually I felt drowned in data but did feel better informed to make my personal choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci