Digital Camera Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#13 zokk

zokk
  • Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:17 PM

A fun camera is the sanyo xacti its a mp4 video camera but it also takes 6mp stills, it has optical and digital zoom, is splash proof and tiny. it just takes a while to get use to the way you have to hold it when taking stills.

#14 ladyboyforyou

ladyboyforyou
  • Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:13 AM

hey guys what can you say about casio exillim? are they good? cause i find them cheap compare to sony and canon. but i love how the cam look like so stylish.
Fuck You, Fuck You Very Very Much

"Lily Allen"

#15 gaz

gaz
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:29 AM

kk what lights u use when u take u personal shots in the room ? for low or bad light ?
and other question i have is what u think about the kodac EasyShare Z1285

12.0 MP for prints up to 30 × 40 in. (76 × 102 cm)
5X SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH VARIOGON Optical Zoom Lens
EASYSHARE HDTV Dock
High ISO (up to 3200*)
Experience HD video playback at 720p and 1080i resolution
Capture more video while using less memory with MPEG-4 compression
View your pictures in high definition on an HDTV or other HD devices

what u think about this point and shoot camera it retails about £130 in uk

there more specs on the kodac website
i was just wondering if thats ok for posting pics on wepages and
and when u out and about in the clubs in thailand as i have a trip comming up in july need to take some decient snaps
let me know what u think

#16 bigmick22

bigmick22
  • Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:18 AM

hey guys what can you say about casio exillim? are they good? cause i find them cheap compare to sony and canon. but i love how the cam look like so stylish.

I have an exilim. Depending on what you want it for, it's great. It's very small, starts up very quickly, has a decent sized screen and I find it surprisingly good for video.

Like all compacts, not great in low-level lighting.

I like it

#17 Automorph

Automorph
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:19 PM

After some good suggestions and a fairly exhaustive search, I wound up back in Fujiland after all. Despite my trepidation with Fuji's (after my last two), it still seemed like the best choice and clear winner for quality low light applications (which was my biggest criteria).

I bought the Fuji F40FD. I paid $150USD out the door (a Costco blowout price for the last one they had).

Nice and small (size of a deck of cards) and it's got some nice features including 15 different scene positions (with two for natural indoor lighting scenes and a cool automatic two pix with and without flash mode). It has 3x optical and 6.9 x digital zooms (not great for large landscapes or distances, but the bars and hotel rooms in Pattaya aren't that big anyway.

It is somewhat limited in manual mode (then again so am I, so it's a marriage made in heaven), so those who use manual a lot, may not like this camera.

My real only gripe thus far is no viewfinder. I miss not having one, as I never use the screen on my other camera. Just one more thing to get used to.

I'll post some sample shots this weekend, but initial indications look pretty decent (even for a lousy hack photographer like myself).

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!

Auto
Never try and teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#18 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:29 PM

I'll post some sample shots this weekend, but initial indications look pretty decent (even for a lousy hack photographer like myself).

Hi Auto,

Looking forward to seeing a few shots from the FujiF40D, preferably featuring ladyboys ! :D

BTW, I took delivery of a new Panasonic Lumix, FX36 earlier this week, but have only just got it out the box. It's a 10.0 MP model, and very compact, but yet to put it through it's paces.

Cheers
Koykaeng
Sign in pub "In case of fire - break glass". Now my beer's gone everywhere, and there's still a fire.

#19 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:51 PM

KK and Auto, good choices for your cameras - Auto, I think you will be quite happy with the Fuji F40d's low light performance - it was a good buy as the newer models with higher MPs don't give as good photo quality, more than 10 MP becomes self defeating with the current point and shoot cameras - with 8 MP it is in the sweet spot.

KK, the Panasonic FX36 is a good choice for the newer crop of point and shoots - I think you will appreciate the wider angle for the lens, 25 mm as compared to the usual 30-35 mm.

I have a Panasonic TZ-3 for my point and shoot when I don't want to take out the big dSLR. It has a 28-280 mm zoom, handy, but can't handle low light as well as the newer FX36.

Gareth, if you are serious about shooting photos for websites, you are better off to get a dSLR - I highly recommend the new Sony Alpha 200 as a starter dSLR.

#20 gaz

gaz
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:28 AM

Thanks for the advice it is in my price range for a camera just the website i sometimes take pics for recommened the Cannon G9 they both more or less priced the same but he did say to me it was cheaper to get it in thailand for around £200 pounds in Pantip plaza in Bangkok I can get one through jessops for £339 and i

see the sony one more or less the same price what u thoughts on this camera ?I not buy it yet but i keen to get one of them as i am only starting out and i dont have the exp for a complicated slr camera yet as i still learning to take decent pics and setting up proper lighting i read the specs on the cannon and they had really good reviews about it. for low light etc

#21 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:14 AM

Gareth, it depends on what your aims are in photography. The Canon G9 is a good camera, pretty much the top end of the point and shoot category - the sensor size is the same as the smaller cameras. Only the dSLRs have a larger sensor which give the best image quality.

Here is a review of the Sony Alpha 200: Steve's Digicam's Alpha 200 Review

The dSLRs give more flexibility and creativity than the point and shoots (including the advanced ones like the Canon G9). You have more lens options, greater creativity with more control over the shutter speed, f-stops, better flash control - Sony gives wireless flash capability with their external flashes.

Sony has advantages over Canon and Nikon with the in camera antishake, so any lens used has image stabilization.

#22 gaz

gaz
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:49 AM

That is a smart camera I think maby a little bit to advance for me at the moment as i battle a bit with this tec till i learnt to control it
I have full time job and i pretty much happy with at the mommet i only do pics as a hobby and part time when i holiday until such a

point i good enough to do full time then i agree with u 100% about getting one but i think for holiday snaps and doing pics here and there the Cannon G 9 is a good one to learn all the functions and getting used to the high quility pics only then i think i can move up to the slr they reccon it good enough for the website so i not sure what to do yet
Thats a big camera to carry around for shoots it ok
But for traveling and taking pics it lot of risk to carry a exp camera like that around and high risk of it being stolen

#23 texmark

texmark
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:05 PM

the Panasonic FX range is definetly a good choice for the ultracompact cams. i ve a FX35 for four weeks now and am quite happy with it. The stabilizer is fine with bad light situations, but the biggest feature is the 25mm optic which means more Lb´s per picture :wink:

#24 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:24 PM

Gareth, I think I better reply to your post before you disappear back to work again!

Don't rule out the Sony Alpha 200, if you want to move up in your photography skills, a dSLR is the way to go. You will have a lot more creative options than a Canon G9.

I take my Minolta 5D dSLR (fore runner to the Sony Alpha series) the last 5 trips to Thailand without any problems. You must be careful, but common sense and staying sober when you are using it will generally keep things safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci