Newhalfs

• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#193 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:07 AM

That was a variety/talk show hosted by the boy band, Arashi, they would cover numerous topics, that particular episode featuring Newhalfs aired back in 2010.

I tried watching a bit of it, but between the sound effects and the clownish voice over of the announcer, it drove me nuts. Typical Japanese and Korean Talk show format, with the sound effects and the small cut away box showing a host's reaction to the films clip being shown.

That episode was basicly covering the transition stories of a few Newhalfs, plus the reactions and commentary of the hosts.

It is on the upper limits of my listening ability also, I was only getting a few words per sentence.

#194 eibkyo

eibkyo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

Hello Spyder Rocket!

I'm a new user, but long time reader of this topic.  I just recently moved to Japan to the Shinjuku area, and was wondering if you have recomendation of bars to meet new halfs in the area?  I'll definitely be visitng a lot of your recommended health clinics, but would also like to a find a gurlfriend at some point. 

How do you find the scene?  Are there any trans-only bars/clubs or are they mostly clubs with "shows" and mixed crowds?  Do they all have entry fees like most of the ones with shows?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I can speak conversationally, but I can't read anything but hiragana currently.

Thanks for having such an awesome topic!

#195 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:52 AM

Hello Spyder Rocket!

I'm a new user, but long time reader of this topic.  I just recently moved to Japan to the Shinjuku area, and was wondering if you have recomendation of bars to meet new halfs in the area?  I'll definitely be visitng a lot of your recommended health clinics, but would also like to a find a gurlfriend at some point. 

How do you find the scene?  Are there any trans-only bars/clubs or are they mostly clubs with "shows" and mixed crowds?  Do they all have entry fees like most of the ones with shows?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I can speak conversationally, but I can't read anything but hiragana currently.

Thanks for having such an awesome topic!

Welcome to the forum Eibkyo!

I think you'll gain more knowledge of the scene and make more friends going to mixed pubs. The show pubs are easy to find, but they tend to be more concentrated on putting on a show. However, since you speak conversational Japanese you could use the opportunity to chat with some of the performers about about other spots in Shinjuku were Newhalfs go.

The show pubs tend to be expensive and some of them require extra money for the performers to come to your table in between shows. You should be able to decipher this from the system portion of the menu.

I definately recommend putting on a friendly face, learning how to sing a Japanese song or two, and then going out to a Newhalf karaoke spot.

You'll make friends eventually.

Are you Caucasian? If so, I'm sure you already know that you might get turned away from time to time, but your best defense against this is using your Japanese skills. Of course going with a group of Japanese friends opens the door for you even more.

How long are you going to be living in Shinjuku?

Depending on how much you go out, you should be able to become our resident expert on the ground in no time.

I'll try to post a few links for mix pubs and karaoke spots to help get you started.

Good luck and please keep us up to date on your adventures.

#196 eibkyo

eibkyo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for the fast reply!

I'll be here over a year and am indeed caucasian, though I'm prepared for being turned away.  It would be awesome if I could help provide some resources, because as awesome as rub and tickles are it would be good to know where you can just go to hang out with newhalfs.  But I'll definitely start at mix pubs and will try to make it to Propaganda this weekend!  If so I'll post some pictures and a review.  Have you heard of girl club?  http://girls-club.jp/it's a "beginners" club for cross dressers and newhalf who are new to transitioning and they provide outfits/make-up and even make-up assistance, as well as it being a bar with drinks/tables etc.  Anyways it looks adorable and I'll definitely check it out, but wanted to see if anyone had been prior.

Thanks again!

#197 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:13 AM

Thanks for the fast reply!

I'll be here over a year and am indeed caucasian, though I'm prepared for being turned away. It would be awesome if I could help provide some resources, because as awesome as rub and tickles are it would be good to know where you can just go to hang out with newhalfs. But I'll definitely start at mix pubs and will try to make it to Propaganda this weekend! If so I'll post some pictures and a review. Have you heard of girl club? http://girls-club.jp/it's a "beginners" club for cross dressers and newhalf who are new to transitioning and they provide outfits/make-up and even make-up assistance, as well as it being a bar with drinks/tables etc. Anyways it looks adorable and I'll definitely check it out, but wanted to see if anyone had been prior.

Thanks again!

I've never heard of it.

After reading through the web page I'm not too sure how they will react to you showing up if you don't want to play dress up too.
Yes, I did see a line in there that says anyone is welcome, but I have to wonder how sincere they are about that.

It is probably worth a try, don't let me discourage you. Since your Japanese is decent, you can always tell them that you are supposed to meet a friend there who is going to dress up.

Who knows? That very well could be a place to easily score a date. Especially if they take pity on you for being stood up when your "friend" doesn't arrive.

Here is a sports bar that you can try. It is more or less just a regular bar, but one of the cross dressers from the Newtype Maid Cafe is a currently a manager there. If you chat up Chiaki, she can probably tell you some good spots to go to.

http://colony.xyz

#198 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:20 AM

Also check out J'S Cross Dress in Shinjuku

http://crossdress-sh...ics/2014/70466/

In addition, there are a number of pubs and karaoke bars that I listed on page six of this thread that you should check out.

Good luck!

#199 eibkyo

eibkyo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:17 PM

You rock!  I'll let you know any developments, it might be a week or so before I get my feet wet unless I can get to propoganda this weekend!

• Spyder Rocket likes this

#200 eibkyo

eibkyo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:46 PM

Hey hey,

So I haven't had a chance to go out yet, but tomorrow night I'll see what the Monday night scene is like in Ni-chome. 

Not sure if this link has been posted before but it's got more info on J's Cross Dress, as well as links to gay/lesbian/mix bars so it may be helpful for people looking for an actual date instead of a rub and tug.  I'll probably try out newhalf-newhalf next weekend though and will report back!

http://www.shinjuku-2.com/search.php

#201 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:22 AM

Hey hey,

So I haven't had a chance to go out yet, but tomorrow night I'll see what the Monday night scene is like in Ni-chome. 

Not sure if this link has been posted before but it's got more info on J's Cross Dress, as well as links to gay/lesbian/mix bars so it may be helpful for people looking for an actual date instead of a rub and tug.  I'll probably try out newhalf-newhalf next weekend though and will report back!

http://www.shinjuku-2.com/search.php

Looking forward to your report!

So, with a Monday and presumably a Tuesday off from work, I have a pretty good idea of what line of work you are in.

I might PM you with some questions about it, thought about doing that myself, hope you are having fun with it.

#202 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:17 AM

Here's something different, it's like WWE meets Japanese Newhalf Health!

Unfortunately the other video I posted has been removed probably due to copyright reasons.

:cnd:

#203 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:29 AM

A nice video featuring Newhalf Pub Garasya. They also have their own Youtube channel if you want to see more of their videos.

:cnd:

#204 eibkyo

eibkyo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:33 AM

Spyder, you can PM me anytime!  So I finally had a chance to go out, I still haven't done anything with newhalf health or a newhalf show bar, but last week on Monday I went to ni-chome and went to J's Crossdress.  When I walked in the bartender asked if I spoke Japanese, and I said I spoke some, then she asked me what I would like to drink, but one of the men at the bar (presumably the owner) did not care, and he said it was for Japanese only.  

I was a bit put-off, but I had done some research and found this place called Seahorse nearby, it's a little 10 seater spot also in ni-chome, but you definitely have to speak Japanese.  They were going to turn me away, but I walked in and gave them $10 for a beer, at which time everything became fine.  It was just the bartender and either a client or the owner, but they were both extremely nice.  We spoke for a while in Japanese, then we figured out that we could both speak Spanish and continued in Spanish for most of the night.  She invited me to come back on a Saturday and gave me her business card, so I'll definitely go back and check it out when it's more busy.  As far as newhalf health do you know anything about re: fusion?  I've been looking into them and they seem to have good prices and a central location.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci