• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#37 Guest_flexxy46_*

Guest_flexxy46_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

have things gone downhill since 83?

------------------

I am sorry but I find it hard to believe that is a serious question.

Picture Patong with no high rises just a few places to stay. Imagine Karon without anything on it, just a few bungalow and turtles laying their eggs at night. Imagine BKK without the traffic. Imagine the Thai's, a culture that holds great sway on politeness (albeit on the surface) before they come into contact with Russians who have no manners. The Thai's used to be so gracious.

Imagine no AIDS..............oh just imagine that.......

When I first went there, the Vietnam war had been over 3 years, Pol Pot was doing his despicable destruction to his own country.

Thailand was thought of as a risky destination so few went there except the intrepid. There were very few tourists

It was the most fantastic country ......it still is. I have been fortunate to have been to most of the top destinations in the world nothing equals what I experienced.......

Actually nothing still equals Thailand IMO and I am not just talking LB's and mongering.

#38 soulboy

soulboy
  • Members
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:13 PM

Interesting stuff Flexxy , Bangkok without traffic and Thai's being gracious makes me wish I could have been there back then .

Great report keep it coming :clapclap:
Where your friend you ?

#39 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

There were 7-11's back then though, right?

Attached Files

Nix

#40 Guest_flexxy46_*

Guest_flexxy46_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

I don't think there were but I may be wrong. I never went into one that is for sure. There were no McDonalds, nothing like that at all. There were very very few overweight Thais, quite a few now. The impact of the change of diet.

#41 pacman

pacman
  • Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:10 AM

There were no 7-11's in LOS back then. They first appeared sometime in the 80's, but it was years before they became ubiquitous like today.

In their place were VD clinics, they were everywhere. No one used a condom & catching the clap was just another nuisance.

But there were no barfines, a short time was 100 baht, all night cost 200 baht, some of the really hot girls asked for 400, a ridiculous amount of money back then.

Pattaya in 1976 was nothing like today. The best places were the bars & restaurants on the piers that were built out over the water on what is now Walking Street.

The piers are still there today except all the space between them is filled. The main venue was the Marine Bar, it is an upstairs disco now, back then it was a huge open fronted place with a 1000 or more bodies spilling out onto the street, everyone drinking & dancing.

The girls wore very little as it was so hot & the only relief from the heat was from standing in front of a huge air cannon that blasted air over the crowd.

The sound system was loud & played good music. Everything was catered for GIs on R&R, Pattaya was their favourite destination.

Except the Americans pulled out of Vietnam some 3 months earlier & there were an estimated 600,000 girls still looking for a boyfriend. That was the estimate for Bangkok alone. I have never felt more popular in my life.

There were katoeys around but I don't have any lurid stories to offer about the third sex. It was another 20 visits or more before I succumbed to curiosity.

Apologies to Flexxy for hijacking his thread, I come over all nostalgic when someone starts on about what LOS was like back in the day.

#42 farangbah

farangbah
  • Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:48 AM

I savour the feeling of just roaring blissful anticipation.

One of the best feelings in the world, to be enjoyed nightly, before heading out... Oh air of possibility!

You know, when I first started reading this thread I thought, "This'll be cool to read old nuggets from back in the day...!" But your delivery in reporting this current trip alone is worth the price of admission! :rock:

Cheers! Looking forward to more... :clapclap:

#43 Guest_flexxy46_*

Guest_flexxy46_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

Surin Nix....please take my picture down.....you are out of order!

:ang3: :lol:

Anyway you know I made my own out of bamboo in karon..............such a very long time ago....but still got the scar where I nearly chopped my thumb off

#44 Guest_flexxy46_*

Guest_flexxy46_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

There were no 7-11's in LOS back then. They first appeared sometime in the 80's, but it was years before they became ubiquitous like today.

In their place were VD clinics, they were everywhere. No one used a condom & catching the clap was just another nuisance.

But there were no barfines, a short time was 100 baht, all night cost 200 baht, some of the really hot girls asked for 400, a ridiculous amount of money back then.

Apologies to Flexxy for hijacking his thread, I come over all nostalgic when someone starts on about what LOS was like back in the day.

----------------

No apologies needed Pacman...yes I remember being horrified when a girl asked for 500bats. yes the clap clinics were everywhere, I remember going into one and meeting a friend and I had no idea he was even in the country.

That is how I remember the Marine Bar with a dirt road out the front. Never been back since.

It is nice to see that there are a few of us who sampled the delights back then

#45 Guest_flexxy46_*

Guest_flexxy46_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

I savour the feeling of just roaring blissful anticipation.

One of the best feelings in the world, to be enjoyed nightly, before heading out... Oh air of possibility!

You know, when I first started reading this thread I thought, "This'll be cool to read old nuggets from back in the day...!" But your delivery in reporting this current trip alone is worth the price of admission! :rock:

Cheers! Looking forward to more... :clapclap:

Thank you. Very good of you to say so.

Yes that anticipation is fantastic, you know what is in store but not what is going to happen.......as my next post will show the best laid plans can go awry and result in.......well ....... not getting laid........

#46 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

this report took an interesting turn there, talking about the old days.
nice one boys. 8)
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#47 badpress

badpress
  • Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:05 PM

Excellent TR so far young sir, very enjoyable reading.

I can't even begin to imagine how much you have seen Thailand change in front of your eyes over the last 30 years or so. My first trip was in 2005, and in those 6 short years the changes I have witnessed have been unbelievable, and alas, not for the better.
Looking forward tp your next contribution.

#48 Nick Bullseye

Nick Bullseye
  • Members
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

Yes that anticipation is fantastic, you know what is in store but not what is going to happen.......as my next post will show the best laid plans can go awry and result in.......well ....... not getting laid........

Ah! Ah! Just tell me! Is it a contaminating disease?

Excellent TR so far, Flexxy.

Nick Bullseye

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci