158 replies to this topic

#25 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:37 AM

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more from you time capsule!

Thanks Rx 8)

- - -

Next we headed up t'north overland to Chiang Mai as I'd wanted to see the Golden Triangle where the 3 countries meet; Thailand, Laos and Myanmar (Burma).

Whilst at Chiang Mai we enjoyed a side-trip to Lamphun (Lampang) where we took in an elephant show :D

... followed by a ride :D

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#26 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:02 AM

We stayed a few nights first in Chiang Mai before heading up to Chiang Rai on our rented dirt bike for several days to ride on upto Mae Sai, via Chiang Saen, to take a boat ride around the Golden Triangle.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#27 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:10 AM

I remember seeing only one other farang when I was in Chiang Saen. There wasn't much there at all to be honest, but the place had an edge about it. I guess the name "The Golden Triangle" held some mystery for me.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#28 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:22 AM

Crossing over to Myanmar for the day provided an opportunity for a visa run and another 30-day stamp back into Thailand, the Burmese visa could be acquired locally close to the border for a few US$ dollars or baht. I also recall at the time that foreigner's stays were limited to just a few days and travel deeper into Myanmar was not allowed, there were restrictions.

The crossing was pretty quiet back then, but I do recall gaining mild amusement watching the the locals crossing the bridge and switching to the opposite side of the road. The Thais drive on the left and the Burmese drive on the right.

A short clip of Burmese dust...

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#29 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:29 AM

Mae Sai, the northern most point of Thailand - Chiang Rai Province.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#30 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:34 AM

A few hours strolling around the dusty streets of Tachilek, Myanmar.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#31 KendoUK

KendoUK
  • Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:24 AM

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more from you time capsule!

Thanks Rx 8)

Next I headed up t'north overland towards Chiang Mai, I also wanted to see the Golden Triangle where 3 countries meet; Thailand, Laos and Myanmar (Burma).

But in Lamphun (Lampang) I naturally stopped to take in an elephant show, followed by a ride :D

Stayed over at one of those camps in 2010 up in Chiang Mai, went for a brief ride through jungle on the back of one. bloody thing kept stopping to eat every 10 yards. What should have been a 10 minute stroll around the block took nearly an hour with the handler poking it with a sharp stick all the time. Never again!

zinc n B-6 deficiency's, tends to make folks post crazy things like ''your a fagg you never fuked a trannie prostitute''.. - Boomdraw

#32 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:09 AM

Dixon Cox wrote:

It's probably boring to many as there is hardly anything or very little in the way of girlie action or mongering stuff.

Far from boring, DC. This is great stuff. It's making me look forward even more than I have been to my intended trip to LOS with Angel in February. Thanks, and please keep it going.
Actually living the dream.

#33 cranmer

cranmer
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

Lovely video of the elephant camp DC. Many Thanks. Brings back many memories. I could practically smell that musty elephant smell.
:D

#34 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:46 AM

Far from boring, DC. This is great stuff. It's making me look forward even more than I have been to my intended trip to LOS with Angel in February. Thanks, and please keep it going.

Cheers for the positive comments Mac, much appreciated :D

Lovely video of the elephant camp DC. Many Thanks. Brings back many memories. I could practically smell that musty elephant smell.

Thanks cranmer, I was hoping this might stir a few fond memories for some of us.

Many thanks indeed 8)

Meum cerebrum nocet

#35 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:57 AM

From the Golden Triangle back to Chiang Mai, where the centre of this lovely City finds itself surrounded by a square moat. Chiang Mai is the second largest City in Thailand and one which I liked very much and hope to return to again someday.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#36 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:18 AM

A day trip out on the dirt bike took us to Doi Inthanon National Park, which boasts the "Highest Spot In Thailand" at 2565 metres above sea level.

I rode the bike up the winding path all the way to the top. At the upper-most point it was absolutely bloody freezing, without doubt it was the coldest I have ever felt in Thailand, I was physically shivering. Luckily I'd worn a long-sleeved shirt over my t-shirt in order to shield my arms from the sun whilst riding the bike, I was very glad I had it.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci