• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#25 onetruesaxon

onetruesaxon
  • Banned
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:10 AM

I remember the days of 33 Baht to the Pound......are they coming again :cry:

Remeber it being 42 baht back in 91 What year was it 33 mate ?

#26 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:26 AM

FFS when was that pentire??
surely it cannot drop any more??

As I recall hoff, for much of the 1990's thru to 1997 the Baht was thirty something to the pound.
In 1997 the Thai goverment took a decision to float/de-value their currency however, the knock on effect was a financial disaster for the entire region with stock markets and property prices going into melt down. In the winter of 97/98 we were able to obtain rates in the area of 90 Baht to One Pound Sterling......I remember saying to a friend at the time, this shall never happen again in our life time.
Maybe, things are retuning to something like the way they were because prior to 97 a good rate was in the low 40's....we are almost back there now :nonono:

#27 boss45

boss45
  • Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:31 AM

FFS when was that pentire??
surely it cannot drop any more??

As I recall hoff, for much of the 1990's thru to 1997 the Baht was thirty something to the pound.
In 1997 the Thai goverment took a decision to float/de-value their currency however, the knock on effect was a financial disaster for the entire region with stock markets and property prices going into melt down. In the winter of 97/98 we were able to obtain rates in the area of 90 Baht to One Pound Sterling......I remember saying to a friend at the time, this shall never happen again in our life time.
Maybe, things are retuning to something like the way they were because prior to 97 a good rate was in the low 40's....we are almost back there now :nonono:

You mongers in Europe have been living high off the hog for too long. Try living in the US and dealing with the exchange drop!!!No pity from the Yanks!!!

#28 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:34 AM

You mongers in Europe have been living high off the hog for too long. Try living in the US and dealing with the exchange drop!!!No pity from the Yanks!!!

Thank you for that wonderful vote of sympathy....NOT :tantrum:

#29 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:37 AM

From my first trip in 1987-1997 it tended to fluctuate between 33 & the low 40's. I think back then the Baht was directly linked to the US Dollar.

#30 onetruesaxon

onetruesaxon
  • Banned
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:42 AM

From my first trip in 1987-1997 it tended to fluctuate between 33 & the low 40's. I think back then the Baht was directly linked to the US Dollar.

Cheers buddie. It explains a lot to me now

#31 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:51 AM

cheers for that pentire, i can remind people talking about when it was in the 90's.
surely if it did go down to the 30's the prices of things would need to go down.
not good reading at all.

#32 onetruesaxon

onetruesaxon
  • Banned
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:23 AM

surely if it did go down to the 30's the prices of things would need to go down.

Not the Thai way of thinking. Its there economy. Why should they lower the prices ? In short no reason what's so ever.

#33 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:30 AM

OTS wrote:

hoff1888 wrote:

Not the Thai way of thinking. Its there economy. Why should they lower the prices ? In short no reason what's so ever.

Exactly. If you live in a baht world the currency's fluctuations vs. the pound/euro are irrelevant. In fact an appreciating currency has the same effect as lowering prices for locals as imports become cheaper.

#34 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:40 AM

Following the great news and relief that Brown is out and Cameron is in Number 10 means we can now look forward to some gain in our favour against the baht (US$) as political stability and the hope of a decent future returns, providing Greece or Portugal don't screw it up.

Now that IS good news... Thank fuck for that! :clapclap:

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#35 Brit

Brit
  • Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:36 AM

To early to call. Clearly expectations are high.
Need to see another of those graphs in a few weeks time to see if the markets share your optimisim.

I think it needs devaluation of the THB plus a more rapid route to recovery in the west to clear its debt.

Otherwise it will only be very minor improvements. Obviously we all want it back at the good ol days of 70+ THB to the GBP
I spent a lot of money on LB's in Nana Plaza, Patpong and Pattaya. The rest of the cash, I just squandered

#36 batman4ever

batman4ever

• Moderators
  • 4,822 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

yep maybe the Brittish Pound is "saved" but for us stucked/tied to the euro it dosnt look good...
like one wrote...we have to blame the P.I.G.S.... Portugal Ireland Greece Spain.. :ang3:

yesterday i got 5.23 baht per DKK....six months ago i got 6.55 :tantrum:

A ladyboy is a kind of creature...that makes a txt saying...dont you trust me...and send it to 20 people... :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/ladyboyforum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci