shitty rate

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#13 Bumblebee

Bumblebee
  • Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:37 PM

It has been noted by this reader that DC and Pentire have been slightly sarcastic in some of their posts recently

I'm disappointed by your use of your the word "recently" BB, I hoped I was more consistent than that :mrgreen:

Can you never take a compliment? :lol: Back to the topic yes the exchange rates it pretty bad for those in Britain and the eurozone right now. I see today sterling is hovering around 46.33 in most banks in Los and the Euro is down to 40.60 approx. Considering the Euro was 49.50 back in November that is quite an horrific drop.

So it looks like anyone heading there from our neck of the woods had better be more selective about when they open their zipper or hope their thirst is not so bad. Tough times indeed guys.
We laugh because it is true.

#14 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

... and please get back to the topic.

"ffs will this shit ever stop" [sic]

... until the squatter has been evicted it will remain very poor, unfortunately a chance just evaporated.

You will most likely get another chance later in the year where you get to do it all over again with an opportunity, in the meantime, to reconsider what you've just done :|

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#15 Guest_CT8982_*

Guest_CT8982_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:53 PM

what ever happens, i will still have to go work and pay NI & Tax.

im more concerned with the exchange rate, how shit is it gonna get ?

my first trip to thailand i got 78baht to the £1 each trip it has come down but now its soon gonna be cheaper to fly a lb over for a tw week holiday here !!!

but id miss the bars and the different way of life.

will this doom ever end ?????

its gonna be hard for the bar owners this low season i think.

CT ™

#16 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:42 AM

I lost 20% (from 50-40 BHT/EUR) in half a year, courtesy of my dear Greek friends. :loco:

This might as well be just punishment for me since before Thailand era I was regular in Greece. :angel:

BR

#17 Bumblebee

Bumblebee
  • Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:43 AM

I am with you there Robi. The exchange rate with the Euro would put me off goin to Los any time soon if that was an option. 20% drop in the exchange rate in 6 months is a sickener for sure. No idea how it will go from here, and our good friends using sterling are in the same boat.
We laugh because it is true.

#18 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

deleted

#19 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

Really the only way for the rate to improve is for the economies of UK, and Eurozone to improve. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it will happen in the near future.

I suppose the other way is a total collapse of Thailand's economy - which still might happen if things go wrong with PM Abhisit's latest "Road Map".

#20 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:42 PM

excluding the wanker, thanks for the relevant comments :thumbs:

Not that the ignoramus who set up the thread would understand any of them.

#21 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

• Guests

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:44 PM

lets just draw a line here pentire it is starting to get silly.
here is the olive branch.
also i am guilty as well of thread jacking, so lets get back to the topic.
was interesting to see that the euro zone is affecting the uk pound, i thought the uk pound was linked with the us dollar.
checked xe.com 47.7 baht to the pound, 41.08 euro to the baht, and 32.27 dollars to the baht.
not looking great globally.
is there any chance of it improving soon, particularly before or on the 25 of june :lol:
also can anyone remember if the exchange rate was worse when we had the first big dip about 18 months ago??

#22 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

IMHO, you guys need to get a grip and deal with reality.

There may be some short term ups, but in the long run the western currencies are doomed to lose value - we live in aging, less productive societies that currently maintain a false prosperity through the issuance of government debt. For all of Thailand's problems over the past 20 years, it has had an annual growth rate that is the envy of most of Europe. The same is true throughout Asia - lots of poor people willing to work hard to improve their lot. Hell, they'll even sleep with pigs like us for $20 bucks to get ahead. 8)

Make no mistake, vast new wealth is being generated here in Asia - it is being consumed in the West. If you believe that, holding assets denominated in appreciating local currencies is a better way to protect yourself than praying for some dramatic recovery in the Dollar or Pound or Euro or Yen.

#23 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

I remember the days of 33 Baht to the Pound......are they coming again :cry:

#24 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

• Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:48 PM

FFS when was that pentire??
surely it cannot drop any more??

0 user(s) are reading this topic