Photo

Behind The Smile.....A Farang Residents View !

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#25 patrick

patrick
  • Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:34 PM

Excellent post Rossco, some astute observations and common sense advice.
As you may know from reading Franck's diary I have recently engaged a hit man to deal with some so called (ex) friends (they done me wrong), ploblem is, even with bulk discount I'm still paying a lot more than 5000bht p/head. If you can find a cheaper contact I'd be willing to split the difference.

#26 rsraleigh

rsraleigh
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:54 PM

Good advice from you guys ... I am moving to BKK in July ... to work for my Company there...

I fully agree with the concept of thinking on thai money... when i did it last month a few days i felt bad about ht splash-out of money i was doing but ... when the night comes... your desires point you to Nana ... :)

I also have noticed the rising of the military and religious movement....it is concerning... and maybe show a twist in the "land of the dreams" concept that Thailand has been in recent years....

#27 bubba

bubba
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:57 PM

Great post. All good points. Probably the easiest one to violate is the butterfly rule, taking more than one girl from the same bar. I'm guilty!! I try to spread things out as much as possible, and I've never had issues. I also usually ask the girl what she thinks, before I take her out the first time, if I return another night and take another girl. Usually they say "mai pen rai". Whether they really mean that or not, not sure. But while they might lose some face, fact is they know the game, and guys will be guys. And they know there are so many pretty girls. You just need to use as good judgement as you can.

An excellent read that guys playing the bars should get is "Private Dancer". Great book and does a good job of giving you the facts of the bar trade, particularly from the girl's side. Sort of a "he said, she said" tale. One expat that used to write for the Bangkok Post said it should be handed out to every single guy coming in through immigration. I agree.

#28 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:40 PM

Private Dancer a good read if poorly written. A little bigotted in some areas but does explain the bar scene.

For those interested for an evening over a beer I can give you the inside story on how bars operate - information gleaned from many bar owners. When you know it all then you will have a different perspective.

Who gets paid by who and why and how much could make a crime story!

Another good read is "Even Thai Girls Cry" - it is better written than Private Dancer and gives another perspective on the real life of a Thai girl. At the end of the day they have left school by 14 and have had some pretty shitty poorly paid jobs. The average income is low so the trade in Pattaya is lucrative by comparison.

As life has little value (earthly life under Budhism is just a phase into a greater life) it means that they do not place a high price on life.

Another example given to me was:
Give a Thai lady 3000 baht and she will have a great day out shopping, drinking with friends, Kareoke and cards.
One day and all gone.
Give her 100 baht a day and she will spend it accordingly.
The idea of saving is just not there.

A Thai girl told me that the only gifts she likes is Gold and cash. Flowers and cuddly toys, and the like, they find amusing as us Farangs are so sentimental. Cultural difference. Gold and cash they can use - also read Mobile phone - another kind of currency here!

Why does a girl 20+ go with a guy of 60+ - simple - guarantee. I am not talking about some bodily warranty but a Pension. These ladies know that a guy of 60+ has a pension - guaranteed income. It is not his stunning rugged good looks that appeals but financial security. Ok this applies more to the GG but it is also an insight in to how a Thai thinks.

I broke up with a long term GG (1 year in my country and Thailand) She was back working in a bar within one week and BF her first night. To us may seem a bit immoral - to them it is just survival.

Enough philosophy but hope all these posts help visitors with understanding where they are visiting.

Enjoy P4P and return home with some great memories but recognise that you are the fish out of water in a pond you will never fathom.

#29 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:23 PM

As life has little value (earthly life under Budhism is just a phase into a greater life) it means that they do not place a high price on life.

That´s really scary to me. No news, but still something i can´t understand.
"some see an erotic photo display, me i just hope the hot water soothed her ageing joints."
-boomdraw

#30 oifarang

oifarang
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:03 PM

:arrow:

#31 oifarang

oifarang
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:06 PM

:arrow:

#32 bkklover

bkklover
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:10 PM

It is considered a wholesale sale,which is ok.

You can buy beer in a supermarket between the hours of 2-5pm,the law is that you have to buy 15 large bottles minimum.
This seems daft to me as we tried to buy a case of 12 and were told that we had to get another 3 to be able to buy them!!

#33 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:46 PM

Give the guy a cigar. When I posted I was trying to give some good sound advice - you can buy a house here for under 2 million and you can buy my friends house in Phuket for 45 million.

My post is a guidleline - buying a house is part of the cost

House/condo - 4 to 5 million
Set up company to buy house or in case of Condo management charge 50K
Car 1 million
Guarantee in bank for retirement visa (no pension and no guaranteed income) 1 million

Moving costs
Furniture
Insurance - medical/house/car etc etc
I do not work for any agency nor do I charge for any advice but I have many years experience on relocation to foreign lands and to say "we paid 2.5 million" is misleading and naive. The idea of a forum is to provide good sound parameters. Oh by the way I can get Tiger for 25 baht a can - not 33. Meaningless info!!!
Get the point?

If we are going to get granular I refuse to give any free advice - if you can prove me wrong you get a cigar. Never underestimate costs when moving countries - it results in misery for everyone.
As McCawber says in Dickens book - Annula Income 1 pund annual expenditure 19 shillings and sixpence happiness - annual income one pound annual expenditure one pound and sixpence - MISERY

#34 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:56 PM

rossco, i sure appreciate the info. Very interesting stuff, thanks.
Never underestimate costs to move abroad is so true. It adds up so quick. I have done it and i miscalculated my budget with about 100%.
"some see an erotic photo display, me i just hope the hot water soothed her ageing joints."
-boomdraw

#35 Guest_Pat Tire_*

Guest_Pat Tire_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:37 AM

Probably the best thread of the month in my view however, it is a bit Off Topic so far as Ladyboys are concerned so I shall move it there in to that section :lol:

#36 happyman

happyman
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:09 AM

Really helpful advice here, thanks, and great to see people trying to help others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci