Recommended Books

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#25 Russ07

Russ07
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

I have just recently finnished reading "the damage done" by warren fellows and it really is a terrific book of a mans fight for survival and life at it's most painfull 5*

#26 JaiDee

JaiDee
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:21 AM

agreed, Damage Done is a great one, hard to put down.

If you like modern history pick up 'Mao' by Jung Chang, it's the most definitive book on that asshole who killed 70 million of his own people in 30 years.

You Irish guys or Irish-yanks; pick up 'Angela's Ashes' by Frank McCourt, a great one about growing up Irish - Cathoilc in Limerick pre-WW2.

#27 Recoil111

Recoil111
  • Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 01:32 PM

If you like modern history pick up 'Mao' by Jung Chang, it's the most definitive book on that asshole who killed 70 million of his own people in 30 years.

Yes this book is the best biographie i ever was reading! A good and interesting read is also the Pol Pot biographie from Philip Short.

#28 JaiDee

JaiDee
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:33 PM

Yes this book is the best biographie i ever was reading! A good and interesting read is also the Pol Pot biographie from Philip Short.

myself also, I have never seen someone's life so thoroughly examined as Mao's was in that book..... and he was a true dickhead in every way.

Never read the Short book about Pol Pot but have a few others about him, another true Maoist to the 10th degree! And another dickhead who killed off a large amount of his own population. Pick up 'Brother number one' by David Chandler; he has a few other books out from that era and is considered to be one of the most respected experts regarding the 60's and 70's in Cambodia.

#29 Drift Spunk

Drift Spunk
  • Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:28 PM

Private dancer in Ebook version :)

http://www.pattayapa...rls/dancer.html

#30 Recoil111

Recoil111
  • Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:52 PM

Private dancer in Ebook version :)

http://www.pattayapa...rls/dancer.html

Yes thats a must read for all newbies! One of the best books about the p4p scene in Thailand.

#31 Drift Spunk

Drift Spunk
  • Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:16 PM

It is a bit annoying to read over a pc but if you have a pda or some type of smart phone trasnfer the pdf file to it. i donwloaded a cool app from itunes for my iphone to read it and it's better then a book!

#32 Recoil111

Recoil111
  • Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:40 PM

i donwloaded a cool app from itunes for my iphone to read it and it's better then a book!

I still prefer real books! :wink:

#33 Phil Lander

Phil Lander
  • Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:16 AM

I picked up "Thais say it best when they say nothing at all " and also "My Thai girl and I" at the Airport on the way home .
The first is packed with useful information for a small book and was only published last year so many may have overlooked it. The other I have not read yet but also looks really informative.
Phil Lander by name Phillanderer by nature.
The World is my Oyster - Muwhahahahaha!!
A Ladyboy is never early , neither is she ever late . She turns up precisely when she means to.

#34 waltz

waltz
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:45 AM

James[/url] Taylor"]

Guns, Girls and Ganja. Off the rails in Pnomh Phen

Sorry, can't agree. That, in my opinion, is the worst book you could read about Cambodia. Badly written, sensationalist and totally out of date. In my opinion it has not one redeeming quality.

I agree with most of what you say, but still think the book was fun to read. Made me miss Cambodia at least :roll:
"Improvise, Adapt n' Overcum"
- G n' Karl
I come from the land up yonder, where your dick FREEZES HARD.

#35 Phil Lander

Phil Lander
  • Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:53 PM

I picked up "Thais say it best when they say nothing at all " and also "My Thai girl and I" at the Airport on the way home .
The first is packed with useful information for a small book and was only published last year so many may have overlooked it. The other I have not read yet but also looks really informative.

An update on my entry above .
I've just finshed reading " My Thai Girl and I " and have found it really informative about living in a remote area in Thailand . I had a real good chuckle over many parts of it but it reinforced my decision to not retire in my wifes village . I just would not have the patience to last . Give me Pattaya any day . :wink:
Phil Lander by name Phillanderer by nature.
The World is my Oyster - Muwhahahahaha!!
A Ladyboy is never early , neither is she ever late . She turns up precisely when she means to.

#36 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:54 AM

Some airport endings are so familiar. :( My stupid arse can only be described in 30 minutes of some ex-Yugoslavian language swearing, English language doesn’t have words for my (and theirs) stupidity.

BR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci