Recommended Books

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:29 AM

MY NAME LON, YOU LIKE ME.? by derek sharron.(a true story)

available in every book shop in thailand.
tells the story of a 15 year old girl pushed into prostitution to provide for the family.
working in bangkok and pattaya.
a brilliant read, that has been passed around to everyone i know who has been to thailand, or is going.
although its a true story about a female, the principles are the same.

since reading this, i enjoy the facilities, dont get attached, and try to leave in one piece.( not easy)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LADY BOYS, TOM BOYS, RENT BOYS. male and female homosexualities in contempory thailand.
Peter A Jackson, Gerard Sullivan.(editors)

this book explores thailands diverse sexual population, the editors reveal the emotional difficulties experiences by these individuals who live in a country often mistaken for a gay paradise......
.....an important corrective to the many misapprehensions that have arisen both within and outside thailand, about non-normative sexual behaviour.

bought off amazon , i found it a good read that answered all my questions.
written by seven different contributors, and two editors, who have done extensive research around thailand.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE THIRD SEX kathoey-Thailand,s ladyboys. Richard Totman.

"this subject fascinates western society, for it asks the question; if the existence of a "third sex" is a universal phenomenon, why does western society repress it and thai society accept it? why are there so many kathoey in thailand and so few in the western world?

an okay book, explains a lot about history , but the author claims he lived with and traveled with ladyboys for 3 years,
i thought he didnt learn as much as any hunter.!
worth a read on holiday.

THE DAMAGE DONE warren fellows. (true story)

an australian lad jailed for 12 years in the infamous bang Kwang jail in bangkok known as "big tiger" .for drug smuggling.

an absolute must read, brilliant.!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FORGET YOU HAD A DAUGHTER, sandra gregory.(true story)

english girl jailed in thailand for 8 years for drug smuggling,
similar story, but from a womens view in a womens jail.

again, brilliant.!!!!!!!!!

CONFESSIONS OF A BANGKOK PRIVATE EYE, the case files of warren olson.
all true storys adapted by STEPHEN LEATHER.
a great book written in short story chapters, that can be picked up and continued at will.
told brilliantly by a falang who sees and knows exactly how it is.
"she,s different.! i just want to be sure"
"she,s not a bar girl....but"
seems a fool and his money...........
pleasantly surprised how good this book was.
bought in thailand

• ABDUMANAP, Abramovich and TimothyBep like this
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#2 bkklover

bkklover
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:37 PM

Private Dancer by Stephen Leather - a must read for anyone using the Thai P4P Industry.
  • ABDUMANAP and Abramovich like this

#3 Recoil111

Recoil111
  • Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:19 PM

Bangkok 8 and Bangkok Tattoo from John Burdett.

I also like the Vincent Calvino books from Christopher Moore.
  • ABDUMANAP and Abramovich like this

#4 bkklover

bkklover
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:37 PM

Private Dancer by Stephen Leather - a must read for anyone using the Thai P4P Industry.

#5 Recoil111

Recoil111
  • Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:19 PM

Bangkok 8 and Bangkok Tattoo from John Burdett.

I also like the Vincent Calvino books from Christopher Moore.

#6 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:35 PM

I thought I should mention this book series I've been reading, it's called Hardship Posting - True Tales of Expat Misadventure in Asia.

There are three volumes, each comprising short stories related to being an expat and living in Asia, all based on guys writing in to the editor with their personal stories and experiences.

Because it consists of short stories, its a good book to have with you whilst travelling, as you can read a couple of stories in the departure lounge, and continue with more when time permits.

Here's the link to the website, which contains some sample text, etc;

http://www.hardshipposting.com/

Cheers
Koykaeng
Sign in pub "In case of fire - break glass". Now my beer's gone everywhere, and there's still a fire.

#7 drhoneytongue

drhoneytongue
  • Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:33 PM

Hello My Big Big Honey - collection of letters to farang from bar girls

Patpong Sisters - dry research by a US woman

Travels in the Skin Trade - focus on the tourist industry

Love, Sex and Trust - real life stories of Thai girls and then men they were involved in..

Christopher Moore's stories in Bangkok have a nice ring to them, little old-fashioned, but they bring back memories of when I worked there...

...who can ever forget the graduates of water-buffalo University?

37 years in Asia, 35 years with the 3rd sex.

When you take your last breath, don't be thinking, "I wish I had....." It'll be too late then!

#8 Asterix

Asterix
  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:02 AM

I would recommend the book "Bangkok ladyboy" by Henrik List and Anders Askegaard to all scandinavians.

I don't really like Henrik List, but this book is actually pretty well written and when the book is at its best it's like you're there with Henrik List and Anders Askegaard. But the best part about this book is Anders Askegaards photos, that removes the glamour and shows what the everyday life is like.

The price of bangkok ladyboy is currently 299 DKK (40 euros)- you can compare prices from various online bookshops here

#9 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:48 AM

see new book above
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#10 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:08 AM

Another book I enjoyed was

Even Thai Girls Cry

This is a sad story about a young Thai girl trying to break away from the impoverished roots of her own village. She is naive but a good person. Some nice twists and turns.

I enjoyed it. We forget how well off we are and when we arrive here "sex is for sale" everywhere. But why?

We have money and they have none BUT beyond that they just want to be loved and cared for like any other human being.

They grasp at straws trying to better themselves - some succeed but so many fail - the sex industry just draws them in to the point they forget why they started - to find a "good man (Farang)"

The book made me rethink - they are not just a commodity they ARE people.

I enjoyed Private Dancer (poorly written) but the above did make me think about my role.

#11 waltz

waltz
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:13 AM

Guns, Girls and Ganja. Off the rails in Pnomh Phen - by Amit Gilboa.

I read this book a couple of months ago. It was entertaining.
"Improvise, Adapt n' Overcum"
- G n' Karl
I come from the land up yonder, where your dick FREEZES HARD.

#12 pog1701

pog1701
  • Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:22 PM

Even Thai Girls cry, is good, Dam I had to fall for some GG working out of Nana.

Private detective case files one f**k of I went to LOS with my eyes as open as they could be and the first place I went was Nana Plaza. I know the GG I send SMS to works in a bar she even tells I go now bye must work in bar
Hey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci