What would you do?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

Yep. Chasing the condition known as happiness seems to me akin to chasing sleep on a restless night.

The more i think "i gotta get to sleep, i gotta get to sleep", the more elusive it becomes. Likewise, with happiness, the more i ask myself if i am "happy", the more elusive it becomes. I then regress to the equivalent of counting sheep in order to make it happen. A fruitless endeavor that occurs in the level of the mind. The further happiness fades, the more mentally exhausted i become as i try to "fix it" through any number of diversions.

I tend to think that Thai Buddhism is onto something with its ability to differentiate the busy workings of the mind and its obsessions ("the "monkey mind"), as i've heard it referred to, versus becoming aware of that even deeper inner place. That place which is able to become aware that the mind is operating, usually on autopilot with its conditioned patterns, and therefore is more able to clearly see how we make ourselves unhappy at the mental level.

The acquisition of "stuff", material goods, ideal relationships, status, money...is a particularly egregious mental condition which causes the mind to miss the here and now. The only place happiness can occur.

Yes, the Thais can be among the most devious and materialistic people i've ever met. Likewise, it is not uncommon to meet very simple, poor Thais who do not hesitate to share the warmth of their smile, and who despite their circumstances possess that elusive quality of "happiness".
  • MrDragon, jaybee111, jfrank and 2 others like this
Nix

#62 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:51 PM

Just saw a comment on another site - You know that tingly feeling you get when you start to get interested in someone? That's common sense leaving your body. :)
  • Surin Nix and Spyder Rocket like this
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#63 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

Just saw a comment on another site - You know that tingly feeling you get when you start to get interested in someone? That's common sense leaving your body. :)

LOL

I can get some mileage out of that one by changing it around to fit any number of vices or stupid behavior.

"Do you know that tingly feeling you get when you slam a hypodermic needle full of cheap street drugs into your arm?"

"Do you know that tingly feeling you get when you down a half a bottle of vodka in 30 minutes?"

Hell, it even works for religion!

"Do you know that tingly feeling you get when you raise your arms and shout, "Hallelujah" in a Baptist church?

It even works for even the more ordinary and mundane of fuck ups...

"Do you know that tingly feeling you get when you greedily eat an ice cream cone too fast?"

And in the interest of staying on topic, it especially works with the OP. :)

"Do you know that tingly feeling you get when you book a second-honeymoon trip to Thailand with the ulterior motive of sneaking off at some point to fuck a ladyboy?"
  • Surin Nix likes this

#64 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:24 AM

That wasn't my intent! Thought it was humorous. Lighten up,dude.

#65 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:43 AM

That wasn't my intent! Thought it was humorous. Lighten up,dude.

Uh, wake up and smell the levity.

#66 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

Okay, my levity button was stuck. Notice the post at late night, early morning. The post-it notes that I put to stop me from logging on at those times, just get ignored as if they were dust-bunnies in the way.
  • Surin Nix and Spyder Rocket like this

#67 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

TL, you've written some of the more noteworthy and enjoyable posts after you've imbibed a bit.

No need for concern. I've done that a few times myself. Woke up the next morning and thought, "wha...? I wrote THAT?".
  • MrDragon and thailover57 like this
Nix

#68 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:24 PM

Okay, my levity button was stuck. Notice the post at late night, early morning. The post-it notes that I put to stop me from logging on at those times, just get ignored as if they were dust-bunnies in the way.

Do you know that tingly feeling you get right before getting on the internet after a night of drinking at the bars?

;)
  • thailover57 and Surin Nix like this

#69 JOKER187

JOKER187
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCALIFORNIA

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:11 AM

Do you know that tingly feeling you get after you return to your room from a long night of LB action and realize that your wife is still asleep?   LOL

Wonder what happen to him? What kind of tingly feeling he encountered? 

• Surin Nix likes this

#70 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

Do you know that tingly feeling you get after you return to your room from a long night of LB action and realize that your wife is still asleep?   LOL

Wonder what happen to him? What kind of tingly feeling he encountered?

Yes, we should be getting an update from him soon, I think his trip was scheduled for the first week of August.

I'm looking forward to hearing about his adventure.

#71 shyguyuk

shyguyuk
  • Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationSukhumvit, Bangkok

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:29 AM

So, theseus6969...

we're all dying to hear how it all went...

Are you back?

Happy?

More experienced?

Wiser?

Divorced?... :D  (hope not)

Let us all know...

SG

#72 theseus6969

theseus6969
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:04 AM

Latest Update: Trip got postponed due to sad demise of my father in law a week before I was to fly for Bangkok.

Keeping my fingers crossed for probably next month after wifey completes her mourning period

And yea I'm pissed at myself for not actually been there as I write this post. Pissed and horny at the same time
  • Surin Nix and veveron like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci