438 replies to this topic

#49 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

As you say DC, adequate is also the word I would use to describe the Paragon......nothing more than that.

Apart from the very newest hotels in the area, many are similar to the Paragon and fairly basic, but they serve short-term visitors just fine, as you'll likely be out and about most of the time anyway. But I wouldn't stay there again, or even that area, due to the abundance of barangs and backpackers etc..

One good thing about the Paragon, like several other hotels in a similar price range nearby, is that the Riverside/Sisowath Quay and Street 136 are well-known locations by all the tuk-tuk, taxi and moto drivers, so you'd have to try pretty hard to not find your way back to your room if you wandered too far.

But as always when in a strange land, it's wise to put a hotel card in your pocket to show a driver so he can get you home.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#50 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:56 AM

As you say DC, adequate is also the word I would use to describe the Paragon......nothing more than that.

Apart from the very newest hotels in the area, many are similar to the Paragon and fairly basic,.

That is a shame, I was rather hoping things had moved on somewhat and nowadays there are some rather swish places to find in PP on a long let (1 month +) for around $600.00 per month, similar to say the LK Pavilion in Pattaya.

#51 deepthroat69

deepthroat69
  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:17 AM

Making purchases from children only encourages them to continue what they're doing with their young lives. It sounds mean, but it would serve them best in the long run not to buy anything from them, despite your heart-strings being tugged.

Great stuff DC, loving the pictures, travelogue and advice.

I don't usually pay the tinkers either, but I'm curious about your logic. I don't buy things from them out of simple self-interest - if I do, they'll never leave me alone. So I'm with you but I disagree or perhaps question your logic.

If you don't purchase items from them, what other career path is it that you believe might open up for them?
2nd Annual GOTC: 3rd Feb. 2012 8pm Pook Soi 6 (upstairs bar) - BE THERE!

#52 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

I don't usually pay the tinkers either, but I'm curious about your logic. I don't buy things from them out of simple self-interest - if I do, they'll never leave me alone. So I'm with you but I disagree or perhaps question your logic.

If you don't purchase items from them, what other career path is it that you believe might open up for them?

A good question DT and a very valid one too.

When visiting a 3rd world country where you WILL encounter incredibly poor people probably makes this a question many will be asking themselves or be pondering over when confronted with the scenario.

If you visit Cambodia I guarantee you will see beggars, more people with literally nothing, apart from the worn-out clothes on their backs and, for many, a life which is one constant ongoing struggle to survive. This, of course, includes children of all ages.

So, shall I give something to the street kids begging or buy something from the street kids selling?

Essentially, my own reasons are that the giving encourages them and their families to continue doing it.

What any of us might easily dispose of in the bars and restaurants on any given day or evening could easily cloth, feed and educate many poor children for weeks. So it can be difficult to resist pressing a few Riel or even a Dollar into the little hand of a small child, imagining how they will at least get a full belly today and their life will be just that little bit better, but it is so very short-lived.

The reality is that you will likely be the only one who's better off for doing so and you're doing yourself more good than the children themselves. Your freshly acquired inner warmth and glow of having done something decent is very short-sighted.

In the long term the giving or buying from them just encourages their parents not to bother sending the children to school, they are then deprived of an education, plus they are encouraged to continue exposing themselves to the dangers on the streets from corruption and abuse and it simply perpetuates their life-cycle of poverty and lack of education and safety.

But there are no rules for personal choices, just opinions and suggestions. If I were a millionaire, I'd build schools in Cambodia.

A website for child safety in Cambodia is commonly seen around the tourist areas which highlights their daily plight and the dangers they're exposed to. These websites and messages try to not only untarnish the country's poor reputation, but ultimately try to protect the vulnerability of their youngsters.

http://childsafe-int...NK-campaign.asp
http://www.cambodianchildrensfund.org/

Attached Files

• snoop-dawg likes this

Meum cerebrum nocet

#53 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

I'm a bit of a sucker for giving the beggars my spare change and that is where all of my coins tend to go, be it Thailand, Brazil, Cuba or even the streets of London.

I once purchased a paperback biography from from of those PP street kids for $1.00, it was the life story of Pol Pot......Once back in Thailand relaxing on my fav beach, I'm reading away only to discover that after page 33, all of the other pages are the same :D

#54 batman4ever

batman4ever

• Moderators
  • 4,822 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:13 PM

interesting read indeed...have the same mixed feeling regarding beggin or selling childs...guess theres no easy answer to that... :shrug:

BTW...do you know if it is needed for a Thai to have a passport when they go to Cambodia??

A ladyboy is a kind of creature...that makes a txt saying...dont you trust me...and send it to 20 people... :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/ladyboyforum

#55 Nick Bullseye

Nick Bullseye
  • Members
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

BTW...do you know if it is needed for a Thai to have a passport when they go to Cambodia??

Yes, Thai citizens need a passport to enter Cambodia. They will receive (as everybody) a tourist "visa on arrival". It costs 20 US$ and is valid for 1 month.

Nick Bullseye

#56 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

As far as I know, for a trip of under one month to Cambodia, Thais do need a passport (with 6 month's validity) and a tourist visa just like we do, which can be obtained on arrival at the border. This visa can be extended again, the same way as ours.

I believe they can get a day-pass by using just a regular Thai ID card, if it's just for the day.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#57 batman4ever

batman4ever

• Moderators
  • 4,822 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

thanx guys...as you might guess...or robislo would have put it..its for my one and only... :angel:

A ladyboy is a kind of creature...that makes a txt saying...dont you trust me...and send it to 20 people... :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/ladyboyforum

#58 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

thanx guys...as you might guess...or robislo would have put it..its for my one and only...

Really? ... I wouldn't have guessed :mrgreen:

Just did a little more checking as I already knew Khmer's can travel to Thailand for 2 weeks without a pre-arranged visa.

It's good news... It changed in December 2011. She will still need a passport, but she will also get 14 days stamped on arrival with no pre-arranged visa required. It's reciprocal between both Thailand and Cambodia.

Source: www.cambodiaun.org/

Meum cerebrum nocet

#59 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:54 PM

A lot of the kids who bother you in the bars in Patts/Bangers are Vietnamese/Cambodian who are run by the local hoodlums and I won't venture into it further.

If they polish my shoes or whatever they get a wee reward or the coins in my pocket.
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#60 boomdraw

boomdraw
  • Banned
  • 735 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:16 AM

not trying to come from'' prick town'' but the begging aspect really puts me off from visiting, not so much that its so offensive but the fact that even if i stayed there for 6 months im sure as shit it would never die off but yet anew each day it would be like my first day just of the jet and leeched on by every broke families ill watch kids as they mooch of me to there best ability, that shit gets old.. however cam is on my mind as if there was a cheap place to get away from it all then this is certainly one of them, as i stated in the outside thailand thread,, is cambodia ever gona be the new patong? that oil money is slow to flow it seems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci