Photo

Why do you like Thailand? (the positive thread)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#37 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:38 AM

Very nice thread Kliome (and BTW I do owe you a PM!) and interesting reading. Seems that many folk have the same thoughts.

I’ve not been back to LOS for a number of years now but started visiting fairly regularly in the early 1990’s and was there a great deal on holiday and travel from late 90’s onwards.

I know that it has changed a lot and some places no longer exist or have radically altered – nothing stays the same - but I have sights, sounds and memories seared into my memory bank:

The heat and humidity as you walk out of the airport arrivals hall, the ‘tropicalnees’ of everything on first visits, the view from the rooftop pool of the Hampton Inn / Zenith Hotel, the ferries / water taxis on the Chao Phraya, wandering around Koh Tao before everyone else arrived, stunning LB’s, long train journeys through the South and into Malaysia, lemon grass, coriander, chillies and kaffir lime, huge skies, torrential rain and flooded roads, Thermae when it was full of strange, the first ever visit to Casanova, heading up to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, paddy fields and green vistas, catching up with a Thai friend from the UK and visiting a temple with her – back in her homeland she was so serene and at that particular moment possibly the most beautiful girl I have ever seen, border crossings and flights and going over to Laos and Cambodia, a long long lost weekend in Koh Samui with a big bag of grass and some friends, Amy and Nee (sp?) from Casanova and Natalie from KC plus others too numerous to mention and sadly too long back now to recall their names, the Nana Hotel car park, Manta Rays and Whale sharks in the Similan Islands, durians and rambutans, ice cold beers with the condensation slowly dropping down, sessions of pool that lasted forever, foot massages, helpful and friendly people (especially away from the crowds in the North), Full moon parties, all night BKK before the curfew was introduced, unbelievably good food, Songkran, Phuket, the discos in Phuket, losing game after game of connect four, watching live football outside in the warm, this is absolutely true - once buying Areeya a few drinks than deciding not to BF her because ‘I felt too tired’ (FFS what was I like!!) never saw her again, Foodland, my first LB threesome, jumping off the skytrain and just exploring for the day, Bumrungrand Hospital, elephants in the rivers, temples, quiet beaches on far away islands, palm tree plantations, Nana, cinemas, produce markets and above all walking out of the hotel or beach hut – especially at night – thinking / knowing that all the possibilities were endless and that just about anything could happen.

I now live in Asia but not in LOS and there are some similarities here with the above but as I write this I do realise that I miss going to Thailand. Need to get back soon…

#38 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:51 AM

The heat and humidity as you walk out of the airport arrivals hall, the ‘tropicalnees’ of everything on first visits,

thinking / knowing that all the possibilities were endless and that just about anything could happen.

Great post, daze!
"some see an erotic photo display, me i just hope the hot water soothed her ageing joints."
-boomdraw

#39 redrock

redrock
  • Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:05 AM

Aye, good ramble daze. Makes me realise I need to travel around Thailand a bit. I'm spending too much time in Pattaya with my head up some ladyboy's arse.
I've never been to a full moon party :rock:

#40 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:41 AM

I'm spending too much time in Pattaya with my head up some ladyboy's arse.
I've never been to a full moon party :rock:

Hi Redrock, I think that having your head up some LB's arse is sometimes called a 'Full Moon Party'! :D

To be fair me going to FMP's on the beach was a long long time ago when I was much younger and more daft. I'd probably prefer to chew off my left arm than go to one these days....

#41 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:58 PM

In Englsih we have Tongue Twisters -

Peter picked a peck of pickled peppers.....

Round the Ragged Rock the Ragged Rascal ran.....

so does Thailand.

Getting a Thai to recite them is amusing

Thai Tongue Twisters.

* สาวแสนสวยใส่เสื้อสีแสดสวมส้นสูงสีส้ม = sao saen suai sai suea si saet suam son sung si som = A gorgeous girl wears an orange T-shirt and orange high heels.
* ไหมใหม่ไม่ไหม้ ใช่ไหม = mai mai mai mai chai mai = New silk doesn't burn, does it?
* ใครขายไข่ไก่ = khrai khai khai kai = Who sells chicken eggs
* ยักษ์ใหญ่ไล่ยักษ์เล็ก = yak yai lai yak lek = A bigger giant is chasing a smaller giant
* ทหารถือปืนแบกปูนไปโบกตึก = thahan thue puen baek pun pai bok tuek = A soldier carrying a gun took a bag of cement to spread on a building
* เช้าฟาดผัดฟัก เย็นฟาดฟักผัด = chao fat phat fak yen fat fak phat = Eat stir-fried squash in the morning; Eat squash stir-fried in the evening
* ชามเขียวคว่ำเช้า ชามขาวคว่ำค่ำ = cham khiao khwam chao cham khao khwam kham = The green bowl is turned upside down in the morning; The white bowl is turned upside down at night
* กล้วยตานีปลายหวีเหี่ยว หิ้วหวีไปหิ้วหวีมา = kluai tani plai wi hiao hio wi pai hio wi ma = The Tanee bananas with black wilted tips were carried to and fro
* นกเขาของเขามาจากเขา = nok khao khong khao ma chak khao = His doves came from the mountain

#42 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

so does Thailand.

Thai Tongue Twisters.

* สาวแสนสวยใส่เสื้อสีแสดสวมส้นสูงสีส้ม = sao saen suai sai suea si saet suam son sung si som = A gorgeous girl wears an orange T-shirt and orange high heels.
* ไหมใหม่ไม่ไหม้ ใช่ไหม = mai mai mai mai chai mai = New silk doesn't burn, does it?
* ยักษ์ใหญ่ไล่ยักษ์เล็ก = yak yai lai yak lek = A bigger giant is chasing a smaller giant
* ทหารถือปืนแบกปูนไปโบกตึก = thahan thue puen baek pun pai bok tuek = A soldier carrying a gun took a bag of cement to spread on a building
* เช้าฟาดผัดฟัก เย็นฟาดฟักผัด = chao fat phat fak yen fat fak phat = Eat stir-fried squash in the morning; Eat squash stir-fried in the evening
* ชามเขียวคว่ำเช้า ชามขาวคว่ำค่ำ = cham khiao khwam chao cham khao khwam kham = The green bowl is turned upside down in the morning; The white bowl is turned upside down at night
* กล้วยตานีปลายหวีเหี่ยว หิ้วหวีไปหิ้วหวีมา = kluai tani plai wi hiao hio wi pai hio wi ma = The Tanee bananas with black wilted tips were carried to and fro
* นกเขาของเขามาจากเขา = nok khao khong khao ma chak khao = His doves came from the mountain

#43 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:55 PM

Last night was another eye opener into Thailand.

I went to the cinema and would need to wait 1.30/2.00 hours for a movie in original English all the earlier viewings were in Thai. My partner looked disappointed as she knew I would prefer an English movie and she really wanted to see a movie.

She suggested we watch a Thai movie as it had English sub titles. I thought 'Oh no - not 2 hours of a Thai movie'. I felt I should make the effort so agreed. The movie was Mai Ga Mum (Mai and Mum).

It was hysterical. The humour is an insight into Thais and they really enjoyed the film. As usual Katoeys play a major role.

Now I have promised to go see a true serious Thai film about a superstar singer who was shot and killed.

Maybe I am going native.

#44 jayarr

jayarr
  • Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

I've watched a few of the bigger thai movies. not bad but I see the same actors in every film

#45 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

I went to the cinema and would need to wait 1.30/2.00 hours for a movie in original English all the earlier viewings were in Thai. My partner looked disappointed as she knew I would prefer an English movie and she really wanted to see a movie.

She suggested we watch a Thai movie as it had English sub titles. I thought 'Oh no - not 2 hours of a Thai movie'. I felt I should make the effort so agreed. The movie was Mai Ga Mum (Mai and Mum).

It was hysterical. The humour is an insight into Thais and they really enjoyed the film. As usual Katoeys play a major role.

Now I have promised to go see a true serious Thai film about a superstar singer who was shot and killed.

Maybe I am going native.

#46 jayarr

jayarr
  • Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

I've watched a few of the bigger thai movies. not bad but I see the same actors in every film

#47 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

so does Thailand.

Thai Tongue Twisters.

#48 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Maybe I am going native.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci