Photo

Why do you like Thailand? (the positive thread)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#13 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

Glad to see some positive responses to Kliome.

i often have to remind myself I Chose to live here - I was not coerced/blackmailed - I made the choice.

I have been fortunate to live in other wealthy western countries (1st World) and yet I chose a 3rd World economy in which to retire.

The downside is obvious - it is not 1st World. The upside is the lack of regulations/bureaucracy. But there are times I despair.

Motorcycles. Exclude the idiot Farangs who have never ridden a motorbike before but decide to rent one. The hospital is testament to their wisdom.

What does frustrate me is that the Thais have no road sense, lane discipline, courtesy. They deride other road users be that car, motorbike, pedestrian. they are insane - backed up by fatalities. I see at least one fatality per week - jumping a light, cutting in etc. All up to Buddha - but they have families etc.

Then I reflect. Imagine if every Motorbike was a car - total bedlam and gridlock. It is Ying and Yang. Thais need to get to work, deliver goods etc etc. Who am I to chastise their chosen transport?

Thais must see us as some kind of alien. We blow 1 or 2 thousand baht in a bar. We then pay for other services without a care in the world. they must think us mad. I had a friend visit 3 years ago - they stayed in Bangkok, at a very nice hotel, at 6K per night and had a great meal for 3000 baht. My girlfriend at the time was shocked/stunned/speechless. In her village 5000 Baht would keep the family for a month.

Do a role reversal. A mate in your town tells you he just blew 3000 Euros on a night out - would you be shocked?

We must always keep perspective.

I really hope to see more positive comments here. Yes we all enjoy the crazy side of Thailand in Bangkok/Pattaya/Phuket BUT there is the real Thailand too. Check out Ancient Thailand just outside Bangkok. Old original Thai buildings preserved in a landscaped park. See how Thais lived before.

Remember Pattaya is an illegal whore house, which we all enjoy, and for all the seediness is actually a safe place to visit as long as we abide by some simple rules. If you want trouble you can find it anywhere. What is unique is that in Pattaya there is relatively little crime for a city based on Booze, Boxing and Broads.

I would like to see some posts from guys who have some pictures away from the bar scene.

#14 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:05 PM

i often have to remind myself I Chose to live here - I was not coerced/blackmailed - I made the choice.

Rossco, interesting to read your thoughts/comments on Thailand and more especially Pattaya, because in twenty odd years of visiting the Kingdom I have never found anyone to be more criticle of Thai culture and its people than your good self, frequently(after conversations between us) I was left thinking to myself.....why the fcuk did he choose to retire here :D

Off course its a completely different culture and one that I am very fond of. While in Pattaya or Phuket there is nothing I enjoy more than a few hours on the beach and after a swim, lunch reading and perhaps listening to some music, I jump on my scooter and head off into the countryside for a couple of hours heading for places where farangs are few and far between.
Some of the fabulous sights I've seen over the years have been quite extraordinary and its a stark reminder that in this part of the world things are done much differently and in many ways....better.

#15 Pad Thai Boy

Pad Thai Boy
  • Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:06 AM

Some top constructive replies.
Sadly! (joke) I agree with'' The Cheeky Chimp'' 100%....... espec about the negativity.
The only time I seem to be happy is when I'm in, or think of LOS.
Ive recently been offered a subsidized trip with a life long friend to drive the Pacific Coast Highway in a convertable mustang......but hey I've said No because I rather take an extra trip trip to LOS (in low season) !

Like most, for me it's the food, the culture study, scuba, exoticness and of course the sex .............. the rough around the edges gives it a bit of carachter......Could I live their full time ? hopefully. ....... parts of the year in large segments?......hopefully.

I saying I heard a couple of times is ....make your money in the West and spend it in the East.
But how much of a pot is enough to live on?

#16 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

PT - Yes I am guilty of criticsm and I guess it is easy, when another Farang friend is in town, to off load all the irritations. I have to kick myself some days and realise how lucky I am to be here.

I visited the UK in 2010, briefly. I was stunned by the number of traffic signs. I was appalled by the lack of service and courtesy. I was astounded by the 'Jobs Worth' attitude. I was really pleased to board my aircraft back to Thailand.

When you live in one place for a while it is easy to become complacent. Mea culpa.

#17 manfredmann

manfredmann
  • Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

manfredmann, I wish you would post more often as I really do enjoy reading your input :mrgreen:

Thanks Dixon, sincerely, I appreciate it :D and it means a lot, especially since I haven't met anyone from this forum in person yet, so your comment makes me feel more at home. And, likewise, if I may say so. There are a few members here whose name, when I see it on the thread lists, prompts me to take a look, and you are certainly one of them.

The reason I don't post more I suppose, is because, as I've mentioned, I haven't yet been to Thailand and therefore don't feel I usually have much to contribute to the discussions. I know being a visitor/resident there isn't a pre-requisite, however not having been there leaves me in the dark about lots of things you guys are referring to.

But, being a long time resident of Asia, having had some experiences with ladyboys already, and after your kind comment, I'll try to join the conversation more often :mrgreen:

Cheers!
"there she was just a walkin' down the street..."

#18 ScottishLadyboyTerrorist

ScottishLadyboyTerrorist
  • Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:04 PM

What a great idea for this thread Kli.. Ahhh Thailand, the jewel n the crown and as Redder's said, and exotic country. I love the place as many of you do and I was first drawn to it purely by chance. It has grown on me over the many trips I have had and although I take side trips elsewhere, I will always make los the place I lay my hat..

There are so many diverse cultural differences and this is what I like about it. Petesie touched on the subject that although some of us have had a bad experience from time to time.. This is very true, but when you are involved in the curricular activities we are, then you are bound to have a bad episode or two. For me, this is an education with each trip I take. I love to learn new experiences and immerse myself in the place.

I first came for the bright lights, the alcohol and of course the sex, then I accidentally bumped into the ladyboy avenues. I have now found my quiet corner of Thai life and its delights and content with how I decide to enjoy myself. I have a liking for the food but in smaller doses these days after some pretty horrific spates of dheli belly... haha. Who said it couldnt be a challenge shitting on the bathroom floor whilst being sick in the toilet.... What more could you want.. ok, ok thats a bit more detail than I wanted to give but you there you go.

The people are what you make of them, depends how you take their ways and for me, I just go with the flow, slow and easy going. I'm on holiday, I dont want no agro man..

This then brings me on to the wonderful lads I have met on all of my trips. Some have turned out to be very good friends. Los is a soup pot with so many additives which all make the broth taste better. I wouldnt change a thing about the place or how I do things.

Here's to many more trips :love:

#19 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:35 PM

Living out here for a long time I have had many opportunities to travel for both business and pleasure and have been to many exotic and fascinating places around the region. China is a smorgasbord all in itself and there are tons of equally cool places to visit all over Asia for the scenery, food, and culture.

What sets Thailand apart are the beautiful ladyboys AND the supporting infrastructure for sampling their delights. Nothing like being able to party your ass off in a totally accepting environment with a bevy of hung angels. Add in the camaraderie of like minded members of the various ladyboy forums and the place just... :rock:

For this reason it will always be Number One in my book of preferred destinations.

#20 soulboy

soulboy
  • Members
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

I've always wondered why the most cynical among us are the ones who always come back for more :roll:

Sure the money grabbing attitude and the dishonesty does get to you sometimes but its all a game , once you learn to adapt and play it too its fine .

For me what I love is the alternative lifestyle of the place .

I have my own life/job/friends back home then I have a good group of mates who live/travel to Thailand , theres always a group of good guys in town who I know at any given time .

I love the fact you can do what you want and when you want at any given time night or day .

For me no matter how many times I've been there I always see something different every day and always get a laugh .

I have spent some of the best times of my life in Samui and Chang Mai , experienced life in the village , twice !!! , been to Koh Pha Ngan and Phuket and a few other places around the countryside , some fantastic memories there never to be forgotten .

Like a moth to the flame I seem to be drawn to Pattaya and Bangkok nowdays though , not really sure why :blush:

Oh yeh I forgot I love the food also , the spicier the better :cheer:

#21 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:28 PM

I like Thailand because of it´s ladyboys and weather.
"some see an erotic photo display, me i just hope the hot water soothed her ageing joints."
-boomdraw

#22 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:18 PM

I like Thailand because of it´s ladyboys with big cocks and weather.

Sev7en, I amended your post to more accurately illustrate your thoughts :gayf:

#23 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:50 PM

I like Thailand because of it´s ladyboys with big cocks and weather.

Sev7en, I amended your post to more accurately illustrate your thoughts :gayf:

Fair enough :D
"some see an erotic photo display, me i just hope the hot water soothed her ageing joints."
-boomdraw

#24 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:34 AM

Another element I forgot to mention, which some other posters alluded to already, is the gatherings and meetings with fellow board members, both old and new.

This forum (and perhaps one or two others) has given me the opportunity to share the company of liked-minded travellers and chat away over a cool drink in relaxed company. I think once you've spent alot of time here the rush and excitement to visit bars and chase girlie-cock every night dwindles and it's nice to relax at your own pace. In my case, I almost always have the company of one ladyboy, so I can take my time and have someone to share days out and side-trips with. Also, a regular partner offers a far greater insight into Thai society and allows one to see so much more than the two-week bar hopper and beyond the usual.

Meum cerebrum nocet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci