127 replies to this topic

#37 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:00 PM

I'm in no rush to re-visit the land of smiling bullets at the moment and as summer in England is almost upon us, coupled with the up and coming World Cup and a good contract at present, I am happy where I am... Home.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#38 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:13 AM

The Dusit Thani near Sala Dang has been reported as attacked by the Red Shirts. Guests had to hide in basement while the hotel was shot at and a grenade exploded nearby. The Nation website twitter reported a female guest was injured, but that is unconfirmed.

If you do visit Thailand, while the fighting is still ongoing best to avoid Bangkok and go to Phuket or Pattaya as others have recommended.

The Thai Baht is reported to be weakening vs the USD.

#39 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:22 AM

obviously sad to hear about the violence but if it is weakening against the dollar, the pound will also be a bit stronger then

#40 xsikyotox

xsikyotox
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:40 AM

obviously sad to hear about the violence but if it is weakening against the dollar, the pound will also be a bit stronger then

No, have you checked the exchange rates to pound?? it seems Pound is tied to euro.. maybe because euro is its strong trading partner. Whole europe is affected, no matter what currency.

#41 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:55 AM

#42 paultain

paultain
  • Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:03 PM

The exchange rate today!
(average from all banks on the ground)

39.17 baht to the Euro

45.35 baht to the GBP

Looks like the baht will not be effected any time soon, as it is still getting stronger...... pppppffffff!

#43 Ivor Biggun

Ivor Biggun
  • Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:34 PM

The Gov't really has to take action after the 1500hrs deadline this afternoon otherwise the Reds will continue to bluff and bluster. No action will show them how weak the Gov't really is. If this were outside the Houses of parliament or the White House the demonstrators would have been dispersed weeks ago.

It only takes one person to open their mouth and this can be all sorted out. Even Thais are starting to comment in private about the lack of a certain person's imput, not that you'll see it reported anywhere.

#44 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:50 PM

Interesting about the Dusit Thani resort - it is (was) owned by CPD (Crown Property).

I do not think the Red shirts have achieved squat. They have killed tourism and the rest of the world's involvement is basically an attitude of "where else shall I visit in SE Asia other than LOS"

The damage is done and they will take years to recover. As I pointed out to a Thai - so no tourists in Pattaya and the 'ladies' will get hungry. The attitude was that they will just go home. In Soi 6 last night outside Pooks bar you could count the Farang traffic on one hand.

I then explained - OK so lady go home and no cost to government as there is no unemployment benefit. Good problem solved. Just one issue. Hotels, Malls, Restaurants all DO employ thousands of people in Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket - no answer...

On the news last night they announced that many Foreign investors are moving out of Baht and into Dollars - probably along with the more wealthy Thais.

An absolute mess - like watching a bunch of kids in the playground.

Sadly I see no chance of a peaceful outcome.

#45 ringspun

ringspun
  • Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:00 PM

Pattaya was totally fine and no trouble at all, however arrived at Bangkok last night, and taxi driver didnt want to take us even near Nana Plaza (about 3 miles from problems) then when booked in found most things closed and virtually no tourists.

I met up with my girl and then went for a meal, and then in the morning was phoned by reception to say all roads in to this area near Nana are to be blocked too, road was going to be closed around 12 and it was grid locked getting out of there...

Now my flight has been cancelled due to ash cloud, and I wish I stayed in Pattaya now!

Holed up at airport hotel awaiting on new flight, who knows I might just come back to Pattaya if I wait a while!

#46 eslmiker

eslmiker
  • Members
  • 1,996 posts
  • Locationthe Land of Sand

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:01 PM

I'm glad I left last Wednesday. It was my scheduled day anyway and I had to get back for work. But, things have been deteriorating almost exponentially since. I 'm really hoping things will be calmed down by this September, when I'm planning (hoping!) to get back. However, the country currently sounds very polarized. Wait and see attitude for now. 8)

#47 onetruesaxon

onetruesaxon
  • Banned
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:03 AM

A British man living in Thailand tells CNN's Dan Rivers about coming under fire in his apartment.

#48 budhas

budhas
  • Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:40 PM

I hope this Situation find a nearly and good end. Because i hope this for Thailand and for me because the Embassy is closed and not finish the Visa for my Girlfriend..... :redcard:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci