Best TV Series

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:57 AM

In the past I've always watched a lot of movies but never been a regular TV watcher, but over recent years I've started picking up a lot of TV Series DVDs from Thailand.

Seens some crackers and some howlers, but I don't follow the 'what's hot' on tv guides so, I'm really out of the loop and sure I'm missing some good 'uns.

A few which stood out for me:

Six Feet under: Based around a family living/running a funeral parlour. Each episode centred around the topic of death. It's drama but with a lot of dark humour and surreal mometns.
Incredible 1st and 2nd Seasons, but I got a bit bored and never finished season 3..

Heroes: Sci-Fi series about everyday peopel who start discovering they have supernatural powers. Lots of cool short stories which constantly entwin and mesh, all done with slight graphic novel feel.
Again, amazing up until season 3, and then I lost interest and started getting overwhelmed by too many characters.

24: I've only seen season one and was entertained, but not sure I could listen to Keith Sutherlands voice for anotehr 24 hours..

A couple of obvious ones I've not seen yet.

Sopranos (I bought first 3 seasons twice, and both times lent them out before watching them, never to get them back).

I have the first season of Lost on DVD, but with 6 seasons I'm just not sure I can make the commitment. Am I really missing out?

The two on the top of my list to get:

True Blood (I've always preferred Zombies over Vampires, but from the few clips I've seen of this I like it),
and Flash Forward (I caught the first 5 episodes from a friend and I'm hooked).

Which modern TV series would you recommened (must sees)?

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#2 rayton

rayton
  • Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:31 AM

BREAKING BAD! (its so good i shouted it)

just started watching Heroes- brilliant, sopranos is obviously brill, u should have The Wire in ur list too. Prison break is worth a watch also but only if u have all the dvds- otherwise the suspense would be too much. i always heard mixed reports about 24 and lost so i've never checked them out.

for a bit of comedy the new ricky gervais cartoon versions of their old podcasts are very funny.

#3 PP

PP
  • Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:37 AM

#4 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:49 AM

I extremely like HBO mini series. The best one for me is Rome, I can’t wait fat SOBs on HBO would finally pay for the third season, hope dies last... Next one is Band of Brothers; just the music alone is superb. Each episode is made better than most of present Hollywood happy-end-trash movies. And there is of course Generation Kill, series I always watch on airplane to LOS, why... I'm lazy sod and this is only thing I downloaded and put on my netbook. I probably know every episode by heart now... :D

And just a reminder just this week first part of new miniseries Pacific was broadcasted on HBO, judging from the first episode I could say this is the new contender to be my favorite TV series ever. :angel:

BR

#5 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:09 AM

And just a reminder just this week first part of new miniseries Pacific was broadcasted on HBO, judging from the first episode I could say this is the new contender to be my favorite TV series ever. :angel:

Good call, I was hoping to watch this whilst in the UK, but Sky are showing it on their Movie channel which I don't have..

Will look out for it on DVD.

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#6 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:58 AM

No need to wait for DVD. :harhar: You can download 720p file (The.Pacific.Pt.I.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv) of first part.

BR

#7 badpress

badpress
  • Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:38 AM

CSI Miami, IMO the best TV series since NYPD Blue. I love this show and never miss an episode. Even sad enough to watch all the reruns. :loco:

For a laugh, I think 'Shameless' is hard to beat, although it is getting a bit ott now compared to the first few series.

#8 zokk

zokk
  • Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:01 AM

Entourage and Californication are both worth a look imo both pretty funny,.
Black out the windows, it's party time.

#9 stonefre

stonefre
  • Members
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:16 AM

Showtime's Dexter series is quite good.

#10 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

Showtime's Dexter series is quite good.

I agree on this one.

True Blood didn't do much for me. I get it on HBO at home and gave up after a couple of episodes. YMMV

Six Feet Under is an amazing show.

Sorry badpress I can't even make it through an episode of CSI . Since it has spawned so many other shows this must surely be my fault.

Mad Men is all the rage these days. But I have never really taken the time to watch.
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#11 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

I haven't seen one single TV show above that anyone has mentioned so far :|

I find television something I am moving away from more and more and watch it mainly for sports these days, but I won't pay any subscriptions over and above the mandatory TV license fee (UK).

House is the only TV show I watch and I download it off the newsgroups along with films I like the look of and watch them from my xBox MediaCenter on the TV.

I haven't bought a DVD in years and don't see the point.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#12 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:52 PM

southpark all the way, fookin hilarious :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci