Skytrain

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#37 patrick

patrick
  • Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:51 AM

I think the only way it might work for tourists (city to Airport at least) is if you could check your bags in at the station, right through to your destination.
Until then it will probably be used maily by the thousands of airport workers and the odd LB welcoming committee :D
When I were a lad we had the one thing that money can't buy....poverty

#38 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:32 AM

The Chinese have similarly fucked up the airport express trains - first in Shanghai with a massively expensive maglev that doesn't even go downtown, and then in Beijing prior to the 2008 Summer Games.

What is amazing is that while all the decision makers surely went on multiple "inspection and study tours" (i.e. government financed gambling and whoring junkets), they apparently failed to clock the incredibly successful operation down in HK.

I'm not begrudging these hard working officials a little fun :wnkr: , but at the end of the day all anyone really needs to do is approximate the HK model as closely as possible. And yes, while you can check-in downtown in HK it really isn't necessary as everything is roll-on, roll-off.

#39 Ivor Biggun

Ivor Biggun
  • Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

Here's a link to the latest news, with another 3 month delay until Jul as Siemens have been having problems with CCTV and communications systems. http://www.bangkokai...n.com/news.html

I don't see why people are slating this even befor it opens other than for the delays. The rail link in KL works fine, as does the Heathrow, Singapore and Manchester ones. I can't speak for other cities but understand Vancouver opened a fast link as part of the Winter Olympics projects. I can understad people with a huge amount of luggage not finding it convenient but for those travelling light it will be more than sufficient in my opinion. As the main rail line to Rayong runs past the airport it's a shame they couldn't put fast trains on to Patts as well.

#40 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

I'm not one of those talking it down before the fact - in fact I'm a big supporter of mass transit in general. Airport link success will largely depend upon whether it's well priced compared to the alternatives. Hopefully they got this right.

#41 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

The rail link in KL works fine, as does the Heathrow, Singapore and Manchester ones..

Yeah but compare the cost of a taxi cab in those Cities with Thailand.

#42 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:05 PM

presumably the price of the Skytrain has been public knowledge for a long time - is it substantially cheaper than a cab?

#43 Ivor Biggun

Ivor Biggun
  • Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:33 PM

Direct train B150. http://www.bangkokai...ne.com/node/196

An exerpt "According to a preliminary study, the fare for an express trip will be Bt150 per person, while fares for the City Line commuter trips, will vary from Bt30-50 per passenger.

Transport for airport express riders and local commuters will run on the same track with the same equipment, but with a staggered schedule.

Premium-fare express services will run on the hour between Suvarnabhumi Airport and City Air Terminal, while the City Line service will stop at six local stations along the route."

IIRC Kl link is R70 round trip. Can't comment on London or S'pore taxis as I don't use them

#44 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:37 PM

Any excuse is good excuse :lol: :lol: :clapclap: :

Trial of airport rail link postponed
Published: 29/04/2010 at 04:15 PM
Online news: Breakingnews

The trial service of the airport rail link, which was scheduled to begin on Friday, has been postponed indefinitely because of the continuing political unrest, Transport Minister Sohpon Zarum said on Thursday.

The announcement came after the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation voiced concerns about the political unrest stemming from the red-shirt rallies.

"We are concerned about the safety of the passengers," Mr Sohpon told reporters.

The airport rail link runs between the city air terminal at Makkasan in central Bangkok and Suvarnabhumi airport.

Mr Sohpon said the postponement of the trial service will not affect the commercial opening of the rail link, which is set for July.

#45 Ivor Biggun

Ivor Biggun
  • Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:26 PM

Seems like a viable point to me. I guess passenger safety isn't an issue for some people. Train gets hijacked by Reds, generates big publicity for them. Common sense seems to have prevailed for a change.

#46 Crackerjax

Crackerjax
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:28 AM

The concept of running the express trains just once an hour is a bad one. If your arrival doesn't happen to jive with the departure of the express you certainly wouldn't wait for the next one if there were cheaper locals departing in the interim.

But that is the problem with the modern, single track metros - no easy way to offer local AND express service. New York Subway system is the best I've been on in this regard - hopping an Uptown or Downtown Express really gets you to your destination faster than just about any alternative. And cost is the same as a local.

#47 Brianne

Brianne
  • Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:38 AM

according to story on Thai visa ready for operation on 23rd August
a lot of unhappy taxi drivers methinks
all i need is another airport blockade the week before i arrive

http://www.thaivisa....eration-aug-23/
I'm feeling young again but quite insane because I'm mad about the ladyboy

#48 eslmiker

eslmiker
  • Members
  • 1,996 posts
  • Locationthe Land of Sand

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:57 AM

At less than 400 baht in a metered taxi, including highway tolls & tip, all the way down to the NEP area, I don't think I'll be taking the train anytime soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci