• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#13 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:46 AM

Thai governement had recently had a big crackdown against the illegal taxi services that were operating which has helped from what I have heard.

It was my understanding that the taxi queue was the crackdown on illegal taxi services. That only approved taxis could go to the queue where any could go to the departure area. FWIW
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#14 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:03 AM

xyzzy is partially correct. When they first opened Suvarnabhumi the original plan was for the public taxi queue to be out in the transporation centre, where a lot of the public buses go. This was idiotic as it was 1 km away, plus opened the taxi service up to the illegal taxi touts and other scammers in the arrivals area.

At old Don Muang Airport there were public taxi queues at both the domestic and international terminals, and far less illegal taxi touts than Suvarnabhumi. There was also an airport surcharge of around 50 Baht as I recall. This is typical for most any international airport and is usually way more than 50 Baht.

You can try your luck at the departures level, but I read recently police were cracking down on taxis attempting to pick up passengers there. To go further with this The Nation reported there will be a police station opened at Suvarnabhumi to help combat criminal gangs operating there who attempt to steal from luggage, set up tourists for shakedowns like fake shoplifting charges, etc. It was reported that airport administration linked to some of these criminal gangs have been already dismissed.

Hopefully this will all work to make Survarnabhumi a better airport.

#15 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:05 AM

My deepest apologies

Think nothing of it.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#16 sayang

sayang
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:33 AM

Boar Hog .... Also if you go towards the end of the terminal which on the left and you can catch a cab ride to pattaya which i believe is the same fare as coming back from pattaya to airport..... but i believe you got negotiate with them just a thought

Fred
Does anyone know what a Jimmy Cagney love scene is? It's when Cagney lets the good guy live. And if that happens in this show, I will do a lot more than ask for my money back.

#17 boarhog

boarhog
  • Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:04 AM

Good to know Fred, its good to have several options, then people can choose whats best for them. Many who come to BKK first time think they only have one option, and often its the taxi services that latch onto right when you step out of baggage claim.

Kliome and xyzzy are both recommending Mr. T Taxi: mr_ttaxi@hotmail.com phone: 081-2587716 for rides to Pattaya
===============================

Breaking down stereotypes one ladyboy at a time.

#18 translover

translover
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for the tip boarhog. I've gotten fed up the number of times when I got into the taxi at the arrival hall and the driver did not want to use the meter. I did not have this problem when Don Muang airport was the international airport.

BTW, another problem I face is when I flag a taxi along Sukhumwhit Rd, especially near Majestic Suites, to go to the airport most drivers refuse to use the meter. Do you have any solution to this problem?

#19 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:50 AM

Thanks for the tip boarhog. I've gotten fed up the number of times when I got into the taxi at the arrival hall and the driver did not want to use the meter. I did not have this problem when Don Muang airport was the international airport.

BTW, another problem I face is when I flag a taxi along Sukhumwhit Rd, especially near Majestic Suites, to go to the airport most drivers refuse to use the meter. Do you have any solution to this problem?

Simple I always tell them I'll pay 400 BHT, It's maybe 50 BHT more but.. he don't looses face and you are without 1 EUR, win win. 8)

BR

#20 boarhog

boarhog
  • Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:50 AM

Taxi's in that area are a dime a dozen. I just keep trying until I get one that will go on metre. Usually 1st or second one. This metered fare is around 200 baht I have found.

The taxi's that really annoy me are the ones that won't go somewhere you want. They don't want to sit in traffic so they will turn down fares looking for the tourists who only want to go a short distance. This way the rack up 35 baht take you 2 or 3 K's for 50 baht total. Then they get another short one there. They look for turnover versus long distance. The base fares add up quicker than sitting in traffic with meter running. This is why they will quote you a larger price than going meter. You won't see taxis in western countries turn away cusomers, in fact its illegal in some.

It may not seem like a lot but I stay for weeks sometimes months at a time, i can't afford to be throwing my money around like there is no tommorrow, due to the fact there is a tommorrow and a next week or next month. It adds up.

#21 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:26 PM

Ask your hotel (Majestic Suites) to call you a meter cab, that usually works for me.

Standing on Sukhumvit with your baggage trying to flag a taxi oftem attracts the wrong type of cabby.

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#22 boarhog

boarhog
  • Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:11 PM

True Kliome, thoe guys see you as tourist with money to prey upon. I have went through several cabs trying to find one that will go meter. They want 300 to 400 baht for what should be a 200 baht fare.

Good to know hotels will do that for you.

#23 boarhog

boarhog
  • Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

When you think you know it all is when you stop learning. Each trip I manage to pick up something new and realise the traditional method is not always the best. This is one that I didn't learn until I left BKK the first trip and saw several taxis dropping off people at departures.

Would like to recommend to everyone arriving and needing a taxi to avoid people offering taxi service outside baggage and arrivals.
For an example if you going to Nana, Sukhumvit they will charge you around 600-700 baht. If you go outside to get a metered taxi, they have to pay an airport tax (surcharge) straight away. This journey can be up to 450 baht.

However by just going upstairs to departures you can easily catch a taxi that just dropped some on off. Just insist on metered and this same trip can be done just under 200 baht. Don't let them try to add on a service charge or airport tax, becuase they didn't have to pay it, by not getting in that que downstairs.

They have elevators as well that you can easily fit a luggage trolley on. You get those trolleys at baggage claim for free.
The escalators are moving sidewalk types, not steps. You can fit you trolley on them easily as well. When you get up top and go outside look to your right and see the metered taxis. They are across the first lane. Keen drivers will actually be looking for you, and be more than willing to assist you with your bags. Just make sure you establish that your on meter rate.

Once I had one try to get an extra 100 baht on top of meter after arriving at my guest house. I asked why and he said for airport tax? I told him he didn't have to pay it, so I'm not either. He was happy to take his meter fare only. For him it was worth a try, thinking the average farang doesn't know any better.

I have done this several times now. Thai governement had recently had a big crackdown against the illegal taxi services that were operating which has helped from what I have heard.

When you get to the top floor which is departures, you just cross these lanes of traffic. you can actually see the taxi's who have just dropped off people sitting with open doors waiting on the suave travellor.

In my case I had a driver searching me out, and on the way to taxi did the usual questioning of meter. 190 baht to Nana. the driver in the center Taxi is actually looking for a suave customer using the departures drop off. I have also used this same principle in Viet Nam (Ho chi Min ) Airport paying about 5 USD instead of $15.

#24 boarhog

boarhog
  • Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:35 PM

The 2nd best option in my opinion is this outdoor taxi meter que on the first floor. Here you que in a long line then pay that surcharge of 50 baht, then there is more traffic going out of airport in this area. Remember go to top level and go down to your right and look for taxi's that have just dropped people off. They will often look for a next fare instead of going around and getting in the que. They win and you win by doing this. Its all allowed. You'll always save time and money with this option.

Then since there are so many cars leaving this area its often slow going getting out.

Have some baht ready for both these options because you are responsible for tolls. They have several ATM's and money exchange booths inside the airport.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci