How much do you tip?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#37 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:00 AM

I take great pleasure in giving them fuck-all in some bars where the service has been awful to indifferent................Pooks tops my list for this particular trait.............. :evil:

I'll tip the LB who gives me her time but aren't we all absafuckinglutely sick of the drink scroungers............... :x

I'm never rude or impolite but have taken to blanking them these days and I couldn't give a toss how much they pout and flick and slag me off to the chums..............in fact I make a point in buying the girls I know a drink to rub it in.................... :lol:

I know they have a living to make and being an LB is an expense in itself but they have to display a wee bit of etiquette before they dip their digits in my sporran.............brushing their teeth after the Pappaya salad helps too..................... :roll:
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#38 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

nicely put man. 8)
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#39 Ericthehalfabee

Ericthehalfabee
  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:18 PM

We pool the tips at C & Ds to share amongst all the bar staff, the cashier, and the DJ. I encourage customers to be generous as it keeps them happy. After all, it must be galling for them to watch the LBs earning 50Bt for every ladydrink, while sitting on their arse with their hand in some guys crotch, then earning 100Bt commission for the barfine on top of the money they'll earn for getting laid! Most of them have families to support, and a salary of 8,000Bt just doesn't do it in the tourist hotspots.
So dont listen to tight-arse aussies - be generous! (Please).

Agree.
"I can feel an angel sliding up to me"

#40 mardhi

mardhi
  • Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:41 AM

I have no idea how other places operate however two i do know are what happens at Guess and my own place.

The procedure is the same in both - tips are split between ALL staff who are on duty that day. In both they are paid the following day to the staff in cash. No deductions are made.

So for Guess that includes all staff (probably why they dont hassle everyone for drinks all the time).

I know for a fact that in my own place (which is not a bar) that my staff know full well who tips tight and who tips generous and it does reflect in the service they receive (this is a non P4P place).

Also in Thailand, anywhere appreciattes tips - its actually a lot more common than some of these posts indicate - I even tip the guy at Foodland for pushing the trolley to my car (which means I never even start to pack my own shopping :D ) - I also tip the ADSL service guy and pretty much everyone else who makes my life easier (and it does show in better and faster service next time). By tip I am talking about US$1-2 per time - not exactly a huge amount to me but as others have said, often half a days salary to them - hence they do remember it.

Cheers
Mardhi

#41 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:30 AM

DELETED

#42 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:45 AM

I rarely, if ever, fail to give a tip, unless I've had a particularly poor service or bad experience. I tend to give alot less or sometimes nothing at all if it's suggested to me that I ought to give a tip or it is asked for directly.

We pool the tips at C & Ds to share amongst all the bar staff, the cashier, and the DJ.

Good, that's a decent management approach :D

After all, it must be galling for them to watch the LBs earning 50Bt for every ladydrink, while sitting on their arse with their hand in some guys crotch, then earning 100Bt commission for the barfine on top of the money they'll earn for getting laid!

For the LBs who work the punters and are prepared to get their assholes rodgered for money is rather more 'galling' than simply serving up a few drinks or pressing 'play' on the CD player :|

Most of them have families to support, and a salary of 8,000Bt just doesn't do it in the tourist hotspots.

That's not my problem.

The onus should not be put on the customer to make up for any potential short-fall in employee salaries :|

Meum cerebrum nocet

#43 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:00 AM

DELETED

#44 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

[quote]Most of them have families to support, and a salary of 8,000Bt just doesn't do it in the tourist hotspots.[/quote]
That's not my problem.

The onus should not be put on the customer to make up for any potential short-fall in employee salaries :|[/quote]

As you have already stated, you like to leave tips for good service. And, as Mardhi says, if you tip, you're gonna get good service next time. Thailand is very much a commission based economy, and if you don't tip or pay commission, you aint gonna get service or anything done.
At the end of the day, the customer is paying the salaries one way or another. We could put the salaries up, and raise the drink prices-what do you think will happen, DC?

#45 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:34 AM

As you have already stated, you like to leave tips for good service. And, as Mardhi says, if you tip, you're gonna get good service next time. Thailand is very much a commission based economy, and if you don't tip or pay commission, you aint gonna get service or anything done.

Agreed.

However, as the process begins with the customer's first impressions of a bar, it's staff and the quality of service then the customer would possibly not return at all if the service was particularly poor or they encountered pushy or rude staff. This could result in the subsequent experience of receiving poor service for a low or no tip never being known as they wouldn't return. In effect, a lost customer.

The vast majority of customers, I hope, would be capable of seperating the poor or rude service of one individual staff member from the overall atmosphere or vibe of a bar and would likely not base a boycott on one incident or person, which is just as well in many cases. But repeated poor or rude encounters with a particular individual can have a lasting effect, such as the ex-Strings service pig.

We could put the salaries up, and raise the drink prices-what do you think will happen, DC?

A bar with higher prices compared to competing bars may cause custom to move elsewhere. In Phuket the two week millionaires will most likely be blind to any increase as there is little or no ladyboy bar competition. But in Pattaya customers could easily go elsewhere and probably would if the price rise was significant.

In any case, if the quality of the girls in regular attendance is high then customers will return and turn a blind-eye to certain failings in individual attitudes and simply avoid encounters with those they find rude or irritating. I imagine the majority of us fall into this category, should any of the above arise.

:uk:

Meum cerebrum nocet

#46 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:23 AM

i cant stand the "service" in jenny star bar.
you sit at the bar and order your own drink.,
the barstaff do that very difficult and skillful job of removing the cap from a bottle of beer and putting it in front of you.
they do not give you a bin, but insist you pay straight away.
they then hand you your change in a leather folder and expect a tip.
tip for what.?
:redcard:
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#47 scottiej23

scottiej23
  • Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:32 PM

In defence of Australians, tipping just has never really been part of the culture, if you want to call it that. For years I always though of it as one of those things that was just done in America. It's really only been in the last ten years or so where you will see people tipping with any regularity at restaurants and places like that. I don't think it's some inherent flaw or that we are tightarses or anything, it was just something that was never done....or expected either.
Now 3.48% smarter, but 14.82% less interesting.

#48 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:28 PM

20 odd years ago in Thailand tipping was not advised either..........now it is expected.........same rules apply..........poor service............no tip........in or out da Loom................. 8)
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci