whatever you tip , it is never enough.!
fuck em.

well said mate, too fucking true :lol:

#14 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:30 PM

We pool the tips at C & Ds to share amongst all the bar staff, the cashier, and the DJ. I encourage customers to be generous as it keeps them happy. After all, it must be galling for them to watch the LBs earning 50Bt for every ladydrink, while sitting on their arse with their hand in some guys crotch, then earning 100Bt commission for the barfine on top of the money they'll earn for getting laid! Most of them have families to support, and a salary of 8,000Bt just doesn't do it in the tourist hotspots.
So dont listen to tight-arse aussies - be generous! (Please).

#15 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:07 PM

So dont listen to tight-arse aussies - be generous! (Please).

I agree those members of the team must be taken care of and, I don't go along with KK's comments when he wrote

Tipping is certainly not expected or mandatory in Thailand

in my lengthy experience (in the tourist centres) it most certainly is.
I suppose it is because I'm a generous type and a firm believer in rewarding good service with a gratutity however, I take exception to those restaurants which add 10% on to my bill without telling me :shock:

#16 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:32 PM

come on guys, it all comes down to if the tip is deserved, if you get lousy service, offer to buy a lb a drink and her face is tripping her then no tip, but if she is good company, and fools around a little then obviously a tip is required, you would have to be a right tight fisted cunt if you did not generally follow these rules

#17 iskender007

iskender007
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:02 AM

In November im making my first trip to thailand and have been to quite few other countries that tipping is a lifestyle. Im from Australia and no one tips here so Im not always used to it aswell.

Was wondering how much do people tip and for what?

#18 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:09 AM

Tipping is certainly not expected or mandatory in Thailand, but I do tend to tip when I feel I've received good service or just feel generous.

Most guys tend to leave a tip when paying their drinks bill, and this is usually around 20-40 Baht from my experience.

I tend to tip similar amounts to hotel staff, although will often give the room maids 100 Baht or more if they look after me.

In more upmarket restaurants, I would generally tip 10% of the bill or thereabouts, but it's very much a personal thing.

Cheers
Koykaeng
Sign in pub "In case of fire - break glass". Now my beer's gone everywhere, and there's still a fire.

#19 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

#20 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:49 AM

Before going to a country I go online and bring up a few of the travel sites (like frommers.com) and read what they have to say. They don't always exactly agree so I read a few and take the majority opinion. And as some of these sites will tell you, tip wise, what is expected in tourist destinations can be far different than out in the country.

These sites also come in handy for learning a bit about the customs of the country and things you should and shouldn't do. As well as a lot of good general info.
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#21 Ali71

Ali71
  • Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

Don't tip 100 - 150 baht at the end of a bar session or you will mark yourself as a first time falang newbie, and you will be seen in a whole different light.

Sorry I dont get you here you said you put 100 under the tray on occasion then you said dont tip 100-150 baht

I get the point about being seen in a different light, people coud try to take advantage

#22 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:06 AM

when you are brought back your change , it is usually on a silver tray.
if you leave a tip on the silver tray, it goes back to the cashier.
some bars pool this money, others, the cashier keeps it all.
if a girl has looked after you all night, and you want to tip her personally, put any tip you want to give into her hand . not the tray.
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#23 Ali71

Ali71
  • Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:34 AM

Thanks I learnt that last time I was in Thailand and some of the girls in the bar let me know after I tipped on the tray and one of the girls gave me a look and I enquired. Is that what putytat meant tip, but dont tip 100-150 on the tray?

#24 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:20 AM

when in bars, if the change is only 20 baht or so, just let them keep it.
however when it comes to the cleaners in what ever hotel i am stying in, i tend to tip them then 100 baht every second or third day, to keep them sweet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci