Travel Insurance

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#13 ringspun

ringspun
  • Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:29 AM

I used Atlas http://www.atlasdirect.net/main.asp they were by far the cheapest for Multiple Trip Insurance and allowed up to 45 days per trip (most only allow 31).

#14 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

Now I've returned home to the UK after my trip I thought I'd update this thread with the cover I actually took.

I followed kliome's suggestion of using:
http://www.moneysupe...ravelinsurance/

Halifax:
Worldwide Annual Cover with Single Trip upto 60 days (exc. USA)
Emergency Medical and Repatriation: £10 million
Cancellation, Trip Cut Short: £5,000
Personal Accident: £25,000
Personal Liability: £2 million
Missed Departure: £1,000
Loss of Important Documents: £600
Legal Advice & Expenses: £25,000
Mugging Benefit: £1,000
Personal Baggage: £1,500
- Single Article: £300
- Valuables: £500
Personal Money: £500

Total cost = £54.63

Thankfully I didn't need to use any part of it on this month and a half trip, but it's still valid for another 10 months.

The cost of this insurance was £40 less than that of a single trip attached to the booking through Opodo, where I got my flights.

With the troubles at Suvarnabhumi Airport at the beginning of December '08 the cancellation or missed departure elements could have been useful, luckily I didn't need it.
Also the 'mugging' element would have been handy for gaz.

Do not travel without insurance, you never know what may happen.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#15 MDS

MDS
  • Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

Hi Guys,
Hope this is ok to post with the mods and they can edit/delete post as required.

On PA Forum at the moment there is a good thread on Australian Travel insurance.

http://www.pattaya-a...871#entry530871

General jist is you can you use www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au and when you enter in the promo code of TIDLAS04 it gives you 15% off the quoted price.

I have been using http://www.columbusdirect.com.au/ on my last trip, now here is where it gets relevant to you DC these guys are actually underwritten by Lloyd's and there is a UK Medical contact number on my policy- so maybe you guys can use them but would say you would need to speak to there customer services area.

Just on prices I did a price check on dates Feb 25th March 20th with TravelInsurance Direct = $84.15 AUD with the 15% off code.

Columbus for the same dates is $104.00 AUD for the same dates.

I have also asked on PA about the multi visit insurances this is about $275.00 AUD mark for the year so may make sense for some of us too just purchase outright a years worth of Travel Insurance.

#16 Brit

Brit
  • Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:18 AM

Apologes for the slight deviation from this thread... its hopefully a useful supplemental question...

Has any got any Long Term Travel Insurance - I mean for 6 months or more type trips. For the guys that stay semi permanently or retired etc.

Or some kinda Expat package.

I stay un-insured currently and would be interested if anyones got experience. The cost of the medical attention here is not that high - but i'm thinking if i was involved in some traffic accident or something outwith my control. My thinking is that if i've got any other medical problems i'll just grab the first flight home to UK. A philosphy which as stood me in good stead til now - but i should be thinking/planning a little better.

So its a question to you long termers - or innovitive insurance brokers out there.

Thanks
I spent a lot of money on LB's in Nana Plaza, Patpong and Pattaya. The rest of the cash, I just squandered

#17 boarhog

boarhog
  • Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:45 PM

I take out my insurance policy from World Nomads. I was refferred them by someone who actually had a claim and had no problems. They go by weeks and months. They charge extra if you are travlling to USA or Japan.

http://www.worldnomads.com/

They also cover risk taking activities such as bungee jumping, rafting and even cover motorbike accidents pending alcohal isn't involved on your part. Motorbikes are not always covered and recommend reading you policies before laying out money.

I saw on another thread where Koykaeng recommends this one for Australians: www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au
===============================

Breaking down stereotypes one ladyboy at a time.

#18 boarhog

boarhog
  • Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:45 PM

I take out my insurance policy from World Nomads. I was refferred them by someone who actually had a claim and had no problems. They go by weeks and months. They charge extra if you are travlling to USA or Japan.

http://www.worldnomads.com/

They also cover risk taking activities such as bungee jumping, rafting and even cover motorbike accidents pending alcohal isn't involved on your part. Motorbikes are not always covered and recommend reading you policies before laying out money.

I saw on another thread where Koykaeng recommends this one for Australians: www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au

Breaking down stereotypes one ladyboy at a time.

#19 kakila

kakila
  • Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:16 AM

Apologes for the slight deviation from this thread... its hopefully a useful supplemental question...

Has any got any Long Term Travel Insurance - I mean for 6 months or more type trips. For the guys that stay semi permanently or retired etc.

Or some kinda Expat package.

I stay un-insured currently and would be interested if anyones got experience. The cost of the medical attention here is not that high - but i'm thinking if i was involved in some traffic accident or something outwith my control. My thinking is that if i've got any other medical problems i'll just grab the first flight home to UK. A philosphy which as stood me in good stead til now - but i should be thinking/planning a little better.

So its a question to you long termers - or innovitive insurance brokers out there.

Thanks

Brit

that is an excellent question one that I have been wondering about myself for my future plans.

any advise from BM's would be great.

cheers pela
pela is no more. a necessary name change to prevent wife turning me into a post op

#20 kakila

kakila
  • Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:22 AM

this travel insurance looks ok for aussies

https://www.scti.com...re-holiday.aspx

this one not bad for older travellers who have just clocked over 50 yr young as most other policies cover 0-49 before adding extra charges

this one doesnt add extra charges until after 54

cheers pela :D
pela is no more. a necessary name change to prevent wife turning me into a post op

#21 Danny123UJK

Danny123UJK
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:33 AM

May not be important....but here's my tuppence worth...
whichever travel insurance proposal you go for make sure you read the small print 1st....
Insurance companies put many hurdles in their T&C's to minimise their risk of paying out when you claim....the best one is "any medical treatment has to be authorised before it goes ahead!"
WTF...touch wood...you been run over by a bus, semi concious, how the fcuk are you gonna ring your travel insurance Company to get authorisation???
2ndly, you been mugged, your policy says you are covered for £500...easy to interpret in type...but the small print says e.g CASH £100 quid only Max, excess in case you claim is £60, do the maths...they claim the other £400 is for money lost on Credit/Bank Cards...are you not covered by your bank or CC company for frudulent use of your credit card by someone else....
The excuses go on...

Make sure you read the small print before taking on any insurance proposal, just in case you need to make a claim either out there or when you get back home, you have followed and can provide what is required by them that you get reimbursed fully what you are due.

#22 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:03 PM

In my good old country we are just witnessing »war« against insurance companies so prices for travel insurance dropped like a brick. :clapclap:

1 year worldwide travel insurance with 50k EUR in medical expenses, free home travel, baggage insurance, legal service cost covered up to 10k EUR… for 40 EUR/year. Good.

BR

#23 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:33 PM

The only cover which interests me is emergency hospital treatment and evacuation back to the UK in the event of something serious. However, accidents while riding a motor cycle or while under the influence of alcohol are invalid on virtually every standard policy therefore, most of my time spent in Thailand is un-insurable anyway :shrug:

#24 duke007

duke007
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:13 PM

Try money supermarket

http://www.moneysupe...ravelinsurance/

I usually go for annual travel insurance and have paid as little as £27 for the year, making sure to cover baggage loss, cancellations and medical. The only problem is that most annual policies don't cover trips over 30/45 days.

Also, if you're an AA member (The Auto one, not the too many beers one) they have good annual cover.

I usually add the Insurance on when I book through NetFlights but this time I got a free Flight with Etihad using my Air Miles.

I did a search this time using kliome's recommendation and chose the AA insurance cover for 28 days including extra baggage loss, cancellations, money loss, medical and waivering all the excess charges of £60.

It cost me £32 and good value for money IMHO 8)

What she asked of me at the end of the Day,
Caligula would have blushed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci