THB Exchange Rates

• Please log in to reply
359 replies to this topic

#13 mhk7840

mhk7840
  • Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:54 AM

The dollar seems to be holding up ok , but the first time I went to LOS a few years ago I was getting around 40 baht to the dollar.

Anyway, I read this on cnn.com today and I found it interesting

Why the greenback is on a tear: http://money.cnn.com...rtune/index.htm
-Mike the American LB Hunter

#14 kanika

kanika
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 02:43 PM

You don't like exchange rate now, how would you like 25 THB for 1 buck? That how much it was forever until THB was set free. Baht could dive a little if somebody would try to blow Nana Plaza for example but it is more complicated because baht is tied with chinese juan.

#15 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:44 PM

There must be some financial experts on this forum :?:

When will the uk pound recover against the thai baht, at the moment its a lousy 59-1

The only thing of real value is the bangkok taxi's :)

I'm no expert, but...

The annual trend has been that the THB is stronger during high season (low x-rate for us) and weakest during low season (higher x-rate for us).

So with high season approaching I wouldn't hold your breath for any worthy improvement. Certainly for the non US currencies.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#16 Drift Spunk

Drift Spunk
  • Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:11 PM

I read that when the USA has to start paying off interest on it's 10 trillion dollar debt the Euro and pound will bounce back and maybe the THB drop as well. It will also help confidence in resources which is where the AUD is dependednt on, i hope this happens soon!

#17 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:50 AM

Well maybe I am getting old

I have seen the USD to the UK Pound at 1 to 1 (for the pedantic ones here it was 1.06 USD to the UKP) and I have seen it at 2.00 USD to the UK Pound.

What annoys me is not that this is a 'natural' exchange rate but is 'forced' by manipulation by speculators (who should be shot) and Governments.

The principle of money is that it is a convenient method of exchange. It overcomes the need for bartering of goods. In the last century Governments have intervened and 'forced' an artificial rate to suit their own economy.

A barter system is a bit basic, which we could never return to, as a basis for international commerce, BUT money is meant to be underpinned by realistic country assets.

The manipulation is what creates the High/Low variations and that is the responsibility of Government and Speculation.

Bankers have created the current situation and will walk away with 'bonuses' for ineptitude. Any other business (Doctors/Lawyers) would be barred from future participation as their reward/payback. Amazing.

To steal a little you are a thief
To steal a lot you are an entrepreneur (a word Mr Bush only recently learnt)

#18 Woof1

Woof1
  • Members
  • 910 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:19 AM

Rossco
Right on
Please do not mention Bush in Mails, I am getting another slow root canal
What else can he screw up during the last 20 days in office Or is it more?
So many LB So Little Time

#19 donnykey

donnykey
  • Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:04 PM

I'm no expert, but...

The annual trend has been that the THB is stronger during high season (low x-rate for us) and weakest during low season (higher x-rate for us).

So with high season approaching I wouldn't hold your breath for any worthy improvement. Certainly for the non US currencies.

DC there is one thing i know for sure... the baht to the A$ is solely based on the strength of the A$ against the US$ ....nothing to do with the seasons....e.g. august A$0.96 to US$1 THB 32 to A$
now A$0.66 to US$1 THB 22 to A$

Things better improve before 17th jan otherwise my trip (2months) is gonna be fucking exy...Cheers Donnykey
Oh so happy when in LOS

#20 laptop

laptop
  • Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:19 AM

Dont hang all the bankers out to dry. :cry: In the current climate they are an easy scapegoat. Fund managers incentive fees are linked to performance. Investors want performance. This "madness" could not have been predicted. I think the only thing that could make this situation worse would be for people to loose all confidence in banks. This has not just been caused by greedy bankers. It was caused by the greed of the human race.

I hope people who were coming close to the end of their working life would have moved away from equities and into bonds and the safer alternatives. If you are still in the middle of your career I wouldnt be too worried.
As kids we're not taught how to deal with success; we're taught how to deal with failure. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. If at first you succeed, then what?

#21 Recoil111

Recoil111
  • Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:51 AM

but it is more complicated because baht is tied with chinese juan

Who told you this story? :roll: I never heard about this!

#22 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:50 PM

Well looks like the Europeans have come up with a well thought out recovery plan. The government backs the banks and 'lends' them the needed money. Better than a 'Bail' out plan.

I do think the US banks should have assessed their risk on loans and made provision in the balance sheet. All businesses need to make provision for bad debt (unpaid receivables) and obviously the US banks did not have sufficient provisions. Probably because provisions reduce declared profit on which their bonus depends.

It is my understanding that it was the problems in the US banks that then ricocheted around the rest of the world finance institutions.

Reading the press it is high time the financial institutions took greater responsibility. The paying out of enormous bonus to execs who failed to perform is scandalous - and to so when the banks are declaring poverty is obscene.

Let us all hope caution and prudence come into play and see a more secure furture.

#23 Phil Lander

Phil Lander
  • Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:03 PM

We've been told on the news for several days now that our market is rallying , but the exchange rate has still not risen back at all .
Sorry could'nt resist .

Attached Files

Phil Lander by name Phillanderer by nature.
The World is my Oyster - Muwhahahahaha!!
A Ladyboy is never early , neither is she ever late . She turns up precisely when she means to.

#24 Drift Spunk

Drift Spunk
  • Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:07 PM

donnykey- It looks like we'll both be in LOS at the same time, we might have to tag team a LB and split the costs if our dollar doesn't raise to a decent rate :!:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci