Bars closing

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#25 scottieM

scottieM
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:51 PM

I am not a drinker at all but enjoy the bar atmosphere and the time spent there with girls around. This also leads to check some chemistries and have a good few hours in the evening. I balance the poor drinking capacity I have with being generous on LD's. Bit more expensive than drinking myself but I'd be worried if a 4/500 baht difference ("my" drink price vs. LD's in one evening) is a deal breaker for my pocket.
It is a win win situation, I have a good time, girls are happy as they get some revenue (and a very nominal cash tip sometime) for their time not spent totally for free, without necessarily having to do the sex work and still can grab an occasional customer if the opportunity arises, the bar gets its business (providing a location, with the relevant expenses).
It is a fact that, and mardhi basic calculation examples prove it, a bar fine is worth quite some drinks without "much of an effort", if out in a simple reasoning. How many beers does the bar have to sell to earn the margin coming from a BF? The beer needs a bar tender at least. The BF doesn't need much staff other then the girl being bar fined.
The bar fine can look like a rip off for its flat and apparently full margin revenue.
I don't think it is, as there is a degree of service offered by a bar, if we are honest.
Some bars were offering BF deals: get the free room if you bar fine two girls for a three some (smart to promote some girls, and increase their ST esrnings) or get a free bar fine if the drink bill is over X baht.
The former doesn't cost much to the bar (cleaning of the room? Rent of a inhouse ST room cos be accounted next to zero, goes in the overhead costs), the latter represents a challenge....: will the margin of X baht check bin in drinks compensate the flat 500 baht bar fine given away? I doubt. But represents an incentive to take girls for a ST and allow them to do some earning in a low market moment.
Prizing their presence at the bar.

#26 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:00 PM

The gogos yes , but to say the majority of bms dont enjoy drinking in ladyboy bars as a general rule of thumb is tripe yes. Guess it depends on whether you enjoy having a drink huh .

I just read his post again and he didn't say that.

He made the claim that more money is made from barfines than from alcohol sales.

I think you might have objected to his crass use of the terms "pimp" and "brothel". Let's be intellectually honest, we are talking about a segment of Thailand's sex industry and not your typical neighborhood pub.

Out of courtesy, I usually refrain from calling bar owners, pimps, but they are certainly involved in pimping out their staff for paid sexual encounters. No biggie, I'm one of their customers, so I'm a "John", "punter" or whatever slang word you prefer.

Besides, when I look at the money I spend in Thailand, more of it is spent on barfines than alcohol.

While I'm a friendly and talkative guy, I'm much more reserved when I'm prowling the brothels of Thailand.

I don't do a lot of glad-handing, back-slapping, and buying fellow patrons of the brothel drinks.

If a place has good music and my particular brand of vodka, I'm much more inclined to stay a while and chill.

If I get a little tipsy, I will start buying lady drinks for the mamasan and the girls.

It is a rarity that I'll get chummy with a random Aussie tourist and start listening to his tall tales about boxing kangaroos and wrestling crocodiles.

I'm there because it is a brothel and my primary intent is to have fun with the hookers.
  • tourist, thailover57 and hard like this

#27 wardmoob

wardmoob
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:37 PM

bars don't subsist on bar fines, they subsist on water'd down cheap booze, this is Thailand, id bet most of the good spirits are simply good bottles filled with cheaper knock off's to cut corners. bars live of booze sales, check bin's, not some 200 baht bar fines from half the staff half the time.

brothels yes, pimps no, its the girls chocies to sell her body, selling drinks once she gets the job is the only thing she can say she's been pimped to peddle.

#28 Platapuss

Platapuss
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:05 AM

I just read his post again and he didn't say that.
He made the claim that more money is made from barfines than from alcohol sales.
I think you might have objected to his crass use of the terms "pimp" and "brothel". Let's be intellectually honest, we are talking about a segment of Thailand's sex industry and not your typical neighborhood pub.
Out of courtesy, I usually refrain from calling bar owners, pimps, but they are certainly involved in pimping out their staff for paid sexual encounters. No biggie, I'm one of their customers, so I'm a "John", "punter" or whatever slang word you prefer.
Besides, when I look at the money I spend in Thailand, more of it is spent on barfines than alcohol.
While I'm a friendly and talkative guy, I'm much more reserved when I'm prowling the brothels of Thailand.
I don't do a lot of glad-handing, back-slapping, and buying fellow patrons of the brothel drinks.
If a place has good music and my particular brand of vodka, I'm much more inclined to stay a while and chill.
If I get a little tipsy, I will start buying lady drinks for the mamasan and the girls.
It is a rarity that I'll get chummy with a random Aussie tourist and start listening to his tall tales about boxing kangaroos and wrestling crocodiles.
I'm there because it is a brothel and my primary intent is to have fun with the hookers.

Well , we will just have to agree to disagree on what is a ladyboy bars bread and butter i guess .

Just for the debate , what do you think a sports bar makes the majority of its money from ? Also what do you think an alcocart makes the majority of its cash from ? My selection would be alcohol sales , maybe thats not the case ? .
  • Spyder Rocket likes this

#29 Princeshow

Princeshow
  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:06 AM

A variety of interesting points have been made. I've heard a bar owner say that above all he wants to sell drinks because bar fines take the biggest draws out of the bar. Better to sit there and have customers fill up (Then bar fine near closing time).

Personally I often find it difficult to justify spending 500+2000 (or more, last time I was in Bangkok the asking price was definitely much more). I just want to drink and watch the show most of the time. 

Bars struggle all the time as  has been pointed out, but if bars overall are in fact on the decline I wonder if this will have some impact on health & safety. Please correct me with vigor if I am wrong but one perception I have is that is some degree safer, not safe, but safer, to hire a lb/gg out of a bar than off the street because those registered as employees with bars have to get medical tests once in a while.

#30 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:33 AM

Well , we will just have to agree to disagree on what is a ladyboy bars bread and butter i guess .

As Mardhi touched on, I think it depends a lot on the dynamics of each bar.

In terms of LB bars in Nana Plaza, those are flat out brothels if you ask me. Sure you can have a beer and window shop in them, but we all know why an informed LB admirer goes to Cassanova.

They have a specific itch to scratch, and an Amazonian LB is what you go to Cassanova for. Want a smaller more girly LB to do the scratching, then try Temptations or Charades.

It all depends on how the bar markets itself, and I'll readily admit that there are a few LB establishments that have tried the low pressure lounge type atmosphere with varying degrees success.

Just for the debate , what do you think a sports bar makes the majority of its money from ? Also what do you think an alcocart makes the majority of its cash from ? My selection would be alcohol sales , maybe thats not the case ? .

Fair point, I'll agree with you that those places are going after money in a different way.

Operating a bar in any country is a high risk business venture, and the bars that stand the test of time are very rare. Most operate a few years before they are sold to new owners or fold in failure.

I've been to entertainment districts all over the world, and none of them are static. Bars come and go just as the employees and customers do.

#31 Platapuss

Platapuss
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:59 AM

Perhaps because Platapuss is a bar owner :lol:

No. , unfortunately i haven't got enough money to be silly enough to even consider it :)
  • hard likes this

#32 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:13 AM

The discussion is getting more interesting now!

As for lbs working in bars being "safer" regarding health checks - this has been a subject of much discussion and while some bars ask their staff to get checked, the cursory nature of many of these "check-ups" makes them unreliable. It is up to the lb herself to decide if she wants a reliable check-up or not. Some do realize that if they are diagnosed early then treatment can be successful, even for AIDs.

It is more a matter of if she does something like steal some of your possessions, you have a place to look for her vs: a random freelance encounter or a social media encounter, who you will probably never be able to find again.

It is becoming more difficult for lb bars (both go-go and lounge type bars) as per the reasons previously discussed. However on another forum I've read that due to the campaign against corruption, the BIB have less income and so are putting a bigger squeeze on bars, etc. to make up for their loss. This puts even more pressure on the bars as the tea money expense continues to grow, yet the income stream is drying up.

Any foreigner who wishes to open an lb bar in Thailand under the current situation is asking to throw away money.

:cnd:

#33 Platapuss

Platapuss
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:19 AM

A variety of interesting points have been made. I've heard a bar owner say that above all he wants to sell drinks because bar fines take the biggest draws out of the bar. Better to sit there and have customers fill up (Then bar fine near closing time).

Personally I often find it difficult to justify spending 500+2000 (or more, last time I was in Bangkok the asking price was definitely much more). I just want to drink and watch the show most of the time. 

Bars struggle all the time as  has been pointed out, but if bars overall are in fact on the decline I wonder if this will have some impact on health & safety. Please correct me with vigor if I am wrong but one perception I have is that is some degree safer, not safe, but safer, to hire a lb/gg out of a bar than off the street because those registered as employees with bars have to get medical tests once in a while.

i don't think the "occasional medical test " offers much safety & indeed a drawcard as such ( if in fact bars even have some sort of testing at all ) . However , a bar does offer some sort of security to the punter/john in that he knows where to find a gurl if something does go wrong .
  • Princeshow likes this

#34 wardmoob

wardmoob
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:42 AM

girls were asking for more then 2k,,, must be todays generation, with little marriage prospects and certainly no free homes n cars like ladies got decades back a hypergamous being will simply have to get it no matter how..

haven't u guys known for some time that with the modern way that the sex's live plus all the internet knowledge pre trip that the girls don't really have the long hustle like they used to, the days of girls being able to dip into the whore trade and hit the lottery don't exist like they used too, some people havnet picked up on this yet, almost makes u feel bad for the girls, they end up working so much longer then they thought is my guess..

with the Russians void of the ones that bought 3 trips in advance not just 2 pre rubble crash aren't gonna be around next year in the numbers that this year had,, which was less then the previous year.

I predicted the Syrian invasion to the month (I put it in a 3 week window of time ) 3 years prior to the usa military actually fucking with it, I was off on Thailand by 5 months for the start of the downturn, Ill still take it.

#35 Platapuss

Platapuss
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:57 AM

girls were asking for more then 2k,,, must be todays generation, with little marriage prospects and certainly no free homes n cars like ladies got decades back a hypergamous being will simply have to get it no matter how..

haven't u guys known for some time that with the modern way that the sex's live plus all the internet knowledge pre trip that the girls don't really have the long hustle like they used to, the days of girls being able to dip into the whore trade and hit the lottery don't exist like they used too, some people havnet picked up on this yet, almost makes u feel bad for the girls, they end up working so much longer then they thought is my guess..

with the Russians void of the ones that bought 3 trips in advance not just 2 pre rubble crash aren't gonna be around next year in the numbers that this year had,, which was less then the previous year.

I predicted the Syrian invasion to the month (I put it in a 3 week window of time ) 3 years prior to the usa military actually fucking with it, I was off on Thailand by 5 months for the start of the downturn, Ill still take it.

You could be the forums very own "nostradamus " if you can retain your form . :)

#36 wardmoob

wardmoob
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:02 AM

boomstradumbass :D

• Platapuss and Princeshow like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci