16 replies to this topic

#1 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

Do you think certain bars are missing a trick by not promoting themselves across the forums, perhaps choosing Facebook as their only means of promotion, or in some cases, nothing at all?

We have several bar promoters here and on other fora who promote themselves regularly, albeit some only on selected fora. But what about the management of the other bars when they know full well forums exist and the exposure to their selected clientele it can bring.

Is it that they cannot or will not fight their corner should there be any negative comments made, or is it they think they can do fine without the free advertising a forum can offer? ~ Maybe some just can't be bothered.

I almost forget some bars exist anymore due to their lack of forum exposure and activity... What say you?

Meum cerebrum nocet

#2 jaybee111

jaybee111
  • Members
  • 389 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:27 PM

I think another issue/excuse may be that they are tech phobic or just not tech savvy. To me, that is a poor excuse in this age of instant, practically free information. The girls certainly know how to do it and it shouldn't take but a few baht here and there to enlist the help of someone already working in your bar or a friend, as some other bars have, to post updates here.

If it wasn't for the generous sharing of information on this Forum I would never have ventured to LOS and the world of LB's. I have now booked my 4th flight in 2 years and planning to spend the entire month of February there.

#3 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

DC, it has to do with the tech ability of the owner, their motivation to work to promote their business, and of course their English levels. You don't often see Thai owned bars promoted much on the forums, but the ex-pat owned ones generally are, and they do benefit from increased business. I think forums are better than face book as there is more discussion and photos are a plus. The drawback is the work involved especially if posting to multiple forums.

:cnd:

#4 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:01 PM

I can only speak from my perspective, being stuck out on a bit of a limb in Phuket. It may not be quite so necessary if you're a barowner in soi 6 Pattaya, for example. But if it wasn't for the forums, or more particularly their members, I doubt if C & Ds would exist right now.

I've tried Fartbook. And yes i hate, detest, and loathe what its doing to society, but thought i should at least give it a go.

As far as i'm aware it didn't/hasn't produced a single baht of revenue.

Far better for me, recently, was promotion on Trip Advisor and (to a much lesser extent) on Lonely Planet.

Trip Advisor has produced tourist business every single night since we went on! Phuket of course is much more a touristy place than a monger's paradise like Pattaya.

I see few bars from soi 6 promoting themselves on the forums, but they still seem to be surviving ok. Perhaps thats because of the fame of that particular soi.

Nearly all the bars elsewhere in Pattaya seem to do some form of web advertising.

Unless you've got the top locations of Nana or soi 6, you must do something, or lose out. I realise in time soi Bourkao will probably become the new "Walking Street" or "Soi 6", but for now if you're in that location you need to be advertising. Which most are.

As for Bangkok: well the Cascades and Temptations threads are popular, but these bars seemed to be doing ok before. Again perhaps just because they're in Nana Plaza. Certainly if you're outside Nana you need to be doing something.

#5 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

I think in some respects forum and facebook activity is more about building relationships and earning loyalty with existing customers over gaining new ones. Some people will discover bars via social networking, but odds are they would probably discover these bars anyway, once on the ground. What forums and facebook can do is give existing customers a stronger and closer relationship with the bar.

In that respect it's hard to judge the success of forum promotion, but I'm sure many guys start planning their holidays and 'to do' lists via these websites, in some cases building a bond of loyalty to bars and bar owners from afar. Guys who follow the forums closely see bars and certain girls regularly, they get a sense that they know them before they've already met, and in most cases that's a very good thing, 

Pattaya Soi 6 is a good example, they have such good passing trade but could still get more out of their customers with better online presence IMO. They may not get a great deal more customers if they started posting on forums and keeping an active facebook page, but they might get a few more drinks and bar fines out of existing ones if they did. I am not a regular in soi 6 but I know more girls in So What bar than Pook, simply because So What occasionally post on the forums, and as a result I seem to head their first and stay a bit longer than I do in Pook.

Find us on facebook: LADYBOYFORUM

#6 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

In terms of overall user numbers Facebook obviously wins hands down and offers a system that is simple enough even for the Thais to grasp. But it offers very limited interaction with customers or fans. Also people need to find or be told the bar's Facebook address, but to what end. To me, although I don't use it, Facebook seems a reasonable way for people to monitor or keep in touch with individuals, but it doesn't work so well for bars. That's just my opinion.

For example; if planning a trip to Thailand and you want to see which bars are hosting a party or an event or which look interesting or exciting to visit, then you need to wade through a long list of Facebook pages to see each individually, unless you have been friended by the bar, plus you have to know their FB address - Too much hassle.

A forum can potentially bring all the gossip, reports and bar announcements and updates to one location and serves as a focal point for readers and admirers of an ever growing niche and scene.

I believe Facebook serves well to concentrate forum updates and gather interest to visit the forum in the first place, much like is done here for the ladyboyforum Facebook page. New or freshly interested readers could find such a page and then visit the forum for more in-depth information and updates.

I believe Thai vs. Farang involvement definitely has some bearing, as obviously farang can understand and deal with the forum and it's operation far more easily. Thais will always follow the easiest and most simple route, which is Facebook.. Take a pic and press the 'Post on Facebook' button, job done.

Comments about location I agree with but didn't consider it before, locations such as Soi 6 have decent foot-traffic. But unless you're regularly reminded of a venue you tend to stick to those you know best and forget the forgotten.

Bars with farang involved or farang availability could include Horny Bar, Baby Boom, Famous Bar and So What Bar as examples of (almost) forgotten bars. If they're not careful they could become just a memory or worse, which would be sad news for all, especially those not on busy sois or slightly out of the way.

Bar threads are valued from a forum perspective and, in my opinion, deserve more protection and moderation regarding any unnecessary negative postings. Bars that could but don't I feel are definitely missing an opportunity. Even if only one post a week generates just one more customer visit then surely it was worth it.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#7 Swedeman007

Swedeman007
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:37 AM

As for bar owners updating on FB and LBF, if the bar owners aren't taking advantage of marketing to the punters who prefer LBs using social media then they are simply missing the big picture. With so many LB bars now in Patts the competition is fierce, and as we all know bars come and go. With so many selections now available, punters are turning to reviews and updates on the internet, just as any smart customer would do for any business where they may spend their hard earned cash.

(The following example is based on posts on another forum, sorry) Look at Horny Bar as an example. When Vinee was the owner, updates were pretty frequent, whether from him, a punter taking on the job as promoter, or someone affiliated with the bar. Now that he has moved on, Horny Bar has slowly but surely faded away into the sunset. The new owners started a new thread and promised to post pictures, but that promise lasted about as long as a recovering alcoholic in a bar. One picture from Horny Bar in the last two months?, even after a BM requested pictures, the reply was 'I will try" to get more pictures up. Try? that was one of the worst responses I have ever seen on this forum from any bar owner.

They still haven't posted any pictures even after another BM mentions the fact that no followup post was made with pictures after the "i will try" statement! Sully, the new owner, must be asleep at the wheel?

And now let's take a look at the reverse, Vinee opens up Fantasy Lounge after selling Horny Bar, he prepares all the BMs by tee-ing the new place up here the said forum long before opening day, and now look at the place. Forum members are raving about it, which I am certain is attracting other punters to go and see what all the fuss is about, and the place is a hit. And a big hit at that. Don't you think that his posts have anything to do with the success of the new place?

The power of the internet with the likes of Facebook forums etc. is invaluable to any business, even LB bars. Social media makes your business relevant, current, and allows you to stay in touch with your customers, and all at NO cost except for time and discipline to post on a consistent basis.

Look at how successful Sensations, C&D and other bars are who participate on various LB forums. Do you think ANY of their success is a direct result of FB and the LB forums? If your answer is no, then you simply aren't tuned in to the power of social media.

So in my example, Yes, Horny Bar isn't the place it used to be.....and I wonder why? -Swedeman007

• batman4ever and dixon cox like this

#8 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

The Technical capability is a very valid point - Pook Bar is a good example.

Forums and Facebook serve the public in two totally different ways.

Forums are broader - they feature any bar that either the bar or a customer has posted.

Facebook is venue specific - it is the bar owner who creates it and updates it.

Forums provides a much broader information base - most bars have a thread albeit started by a customer/BM.

Forums permit criticsm as well as positive experiences.

Forums have comments from both the bar operator and the customers

Forums provide an opportunity for discussion or dialogue

FaceBook is controlled by the bar operator

FaceBook is a presentation of the bar

The owner will obviously promote more subjectively

The owner will probably post more photos of staff.

Personally I prefer the Forums

If I am new to the scene, or I do not know the name of a bar, I cannot find it on Facebook but the Forums list the majority of bars.

After the first Volley Ball we had a problem - the team players wanted to see their photos.

Allowing them access to the Forums was not appropriate.

FaceBook was not easy to navigate with 500 photos, PDF Docs, Word Docs etc etc

Eventually we hosted our own web site.

• dixon cox likes this

#9 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

If I am new to the scene, or I do not know the name of a bar, I cannot find it on Facebook but the Forums list the majority of bars.

Nice breakdown of the various elements regarding Facebook vs. forums and I agree with forums being better for those new or less familiar with the scene.

For a second there I thought you weren't going to mention the volleyball  ;) 

But under your specific circumstances you took the best route possible regarding access to the photos for the girls, a dedicated website. Plus, it acts as frontage for future events, potential sponsors and promo. Good stuff.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#10 roger buttmore

roger buttmore
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

Forums are much better to learn abut bars and girls. I'm not on facebook for me but I cant think how you can search and find about ladyboy bars in Thailand from facebook because 1000's of search results come back and a few bars in there somwhere. The facebook for this forum to bring people here is a good idea because its a doorway in to here.

If this is where lots of guys read about ladyboys then its where they can find out about ladyboy bars and get exited to come. Bars owners are not thinking straight if they know the forums but dont use them its were the customers are

For those entering the darkside, please do so via the rear.

#11 matchman

matchman
  • Members
  • 863 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:17 AM

I think the other big issue with Facebook is simply privacy.. I know as people mention being tech savvy for the forums can be an issue for a Thai and they simply find it easier navigating Facebook as they use it themselves.

But and here is the big but.. they forget that Facebook is a social media and shares your interactions and data with others..!! Which means your average punter for the bars is NOT going to use FB to interact with them... Most BM's and casual punters prefer to keep their preferances private and a forum grants that privacy while allowing the person to check out information. So unless your prepared to search and have multiple FB accounts or openly happy that all your friends know you just joined a LB Facebook page/pages then forums are the way to go. (My guess is that covers 80% of the people visiting the bars.)

So if the intention is to promote a bar then using a forum will hit 80%+ of people but I'd suggest using FB might only hit 5% maybe even less of people likely to visit a place.

Heck I'm tech savvy and I'd never use FB for interactions or information. Its first and foremost a forum for me and then I might hit a dedicated web site if its a venue I like to visit..

Great Minds Think Alike / Fools Seldom Differ!

#12 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

But and here is the big but.. they forget that Facebook is a social media and shares your interactions and data with others..!! Which means your average punter for the bars is NOT going to use FB to interact with them... Most BM's and casual punters prefer to keep their preferances private ...

You make some good points there matchman and I agree  :)

Facebook can certainly be too revealing regarding the trail of footsteps you leave behind. All your old school friends from decades ago now see that you like to interact with third world transsexuals and their work places. And if your work colleagues ever wondered why you keep visiting Thailand, now they know.

Of course all this can be overcome with a second Facebook account, but again, all too much hassle.

Meum cerebrum nocet

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Forum, Facebook, Promo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci