Cambodia: The Year of the Rabbit

• Please log in to reply
438 replies to this topic

#13 Bumblebee

Bumblebee
  • Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

This should be good DC, I am spending a few months there myself just now, so I will be interested to see what you made of the place. Keep it rolling
We laugh because it is true.

#14 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

really nice reporting dc, i like this stuff. 8)

Thanks Anthony. Even if you don't need a visa run, next time me or any of the lads are over there you should do your best to come and have a look, even if just for a few days. Don't tell anyone esle this 'cos I don't want the place over-run with rabble, but I love it :mrgreen:

I've not made a trip to Cambodia yet. On oversight I must rectify on my next trip if it all possible. Looking forward to the rest DC.

You really should do it Mike, but the nightlife is nowhere near like Thailand offers and someplaces are hard to find unless you know where you're going or someone in your group does. Best to try and meet up with some BM's that are there already.

I'll be back there myself for a good few months again next year, I'll let you know :mrgreen:

Meum cerebrum nocet

#15 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:33 PM

I see camera equipment has definitely improved since the last millennium TR!

Hehe, it certainly has and what a relief it is too! :mrgreen:

I'll still carry on with the Last Millenium thread until it's finished, but gradually over time. Looking at those grainy pics was doing my eyes in and I couldn't wait to make a fresh start on these latest.

This should be good DC, I am spending a few months there myself just now, so I will be interested to see what you made of the place. Keep it rolling

Cheers BB, but I know you're there, the walls have ears and your new avatar gives it away too :mrgreen:

I'll try and include all the information I can, where available, just in case it helps you or anyone else who's interested.

Re: your BBWorld avatar, isn't it nice to be in McDonald's-free country. They've never even heard of it, how refreshing :mrgreen:

Meum cerebrum nocet

#16 Bumblebee

Bumblebee
  • Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

Cheers BB, but I know you're there, the walls have ears and your new avatar gives it away too :mrgreen:

I'll try and include all the information I can, where available, just in case it helps you or anyone else who's interested.

Re: your BBWorld avatar, isn't it nice to be in McDonald's-free country. They've never even heard of it, how refreshing :mrgreen:

Sure is, staying on 172, some great eateries there as you well know. The walls certainly have ears, I was talking to one LB outside Rainbow last week, and she said most of the LBs in town know I am here, bloody Facebook I hear you say. :harhar:
We laugh because it is true.

#17 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

A little over 5 minutes walk from the Circuit Hotel is the Sorya Centre, a shopping centre built on 8 levels with fast food outlets, large shops and small market-style shops, a local food hall on the top floor and a covered roller-skating area on the roof with good views over the low-rise City towards the river.

Just another minute away is the Central Market, known locally as Psah Thom Thmey. The word "Psar" means market in Khmer and is pronounced much like the word bazaar, which it likely originated from.

A short walk around close to the Central Market...

Attached Files

• snoop-dawg likes this

Meum cerebrum nocet

#18 Nick Bullseye

Nick Bullseye
  • Members
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

I spent 6 days in Phnom Penh, but my colleagues were so conservative that they refused to go even to Heart of Darkness. For them, the most exciting thing is --- to be at midnight in bed. Ufff!

Very nice report.

Nick Bullseye

#19 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

Very nice report.

Thanks Bullseye 8)

It's a shame to be in a City by yourself sometimes as you can feel uncomfortable visiting venues alone, eating alone or drinking alone. I was lucky back in late January this year when I came to Phnom Penh for a few days and a visa run. Both Xyzzy and Kliome happened to be in town and showed me around again and were good company and gave me a nice refresher. Xyzzy also pre-booked a room for me too, which can be a real help knowing where you'll be staying on your first night.

Having said that, one of my best evenings out then was a night alone, I had an average evening which ended on a sweet high.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#20 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:51 PM

I forgot to mention earlier that the Circuit Hotel rooms also include a fridge and a safety box, which could accomodate my laptop. They also have rain in Cambodia too, when it rains it pours.

Attached Files

• Attached File  2301.JPG   105.92KB   10 downloads
  • Attached File  2305.JPG   150.53KB   7 downloads
  • Attached File  2307.JPG   171.75KB   7 downloads

Meum cerebrum nocet

#21 soulboy

soulboy
  • Members
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:05 PM

Interesting stuff DC I love reports off the usual well beaten tracks .

You are fast becoming the Judith Chalmers of the ladyboy scene :D
  • Touri likes this
Where your friend you ?

#22 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:44 AM

Both xyzzy and Kliome happened to be in town and showed me around again and were good company and gave me a nice refresher. xyzzy also pre-booked a room for me too, which can be a real help knowing where you'll be staying on your first night.

Grasshopper you have taken the pebble from my hand and far exceeded anything I have done in Cambodia :!: :!: :thumbs:

Enjoying the report and looking forward to more.
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#23 deepthroat69

deepthroat69
  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:50 AM

Just as I was wondering what DC's been up to, up pops this fantastic new trip report to answer all my questions!

Love the travelogues, far more interesting to me now than the 800th "shag and tag" pictorial.

Hope you'll still be in asia in February - if so, stop by Pook Soi 6 on Feb. 3rd, would love to see you again and catch up.

Great start. I'm eager to hear more about the slums...
2nd Annual GOTC: 3rd Feb. 2012 8pm Pook Soi 6 (upstairs bar) - BE THERE!

#24 Pad Thai Boy

Pad Thai Boy
  • Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:18 AM

Nice refreshing change of tact from the normal TR.

Looking forward to the rest and enjoying the improved photos. :pic:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci