best way to learn some Thai words & phrases

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#13 paultain

paultain
  • Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:37 AM

bai nai mar? go were come?? were have u been.

woo-ah gae gin ya on,, bull old eat young grass, u bull old eat young grassers know just what im poot mahking about u really do

learning thai u ask ? give it a try it can be fun n your brain gets fantastic cardio when u learn a new language, which is why so many thank me for my contributions on the forum in boomglish.

gin kee bee nown= eat shit fuck sleep, every culture has figured out its highest post Albert Camus absurdist life view ,,even the thais. eat sleep shit n fuck is universal and as we all learn even without albert=practicality wins out.

thai is so weird, even the common ''mai ow'' which translates to ''no want'' or more clearly ''no'', when said with just the ow means fuck, try ''ow ow mai'' sometime, youll get a laugh surely.

and surey youll meet a girl name Bee there right, well Bee means fuck in thai slang. its kind of odd a parent nick names there kid fuck but they do, it just probally means the kings trumpet, but thats be not bee.

and finally good ol fuck soup, a personal favourite as i luv pumpkin and its seeds, its actually fuck tong but fuck soup is what u will hear locals say.

Good effort Boomdraw
But I think your soup is more pronounced in the region of ‘Phak’ and not ‘fuck’ all though as you say it’s pretty close, and funny.

You see here it is ‘dum fuck’ but it is ready something like ‘Tam + Phak’ and like somebody sings it.

As you know then, the proper word for ‘Dog’ is ‘Sonnat’(English spelling is irrelevant) … but if you meet the any lower class Thai’s say in Pattaya, will they call a dog by that proper name?

#14 paultain

paultain
  • Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:00 AM

The Thai language is a simple language with no tenses and only basic sentence structure. It's the tonal aspect which fucks it right up for westerners and it can only really be learned effectively through listening, repeating and practising.

The best way, unless you have a teacher (real or whore), is to get recorded lessons. Trying to write Thai using the English alphabet is a waste of time for anyone who doesn't already know the words.

I learnt alot from the Pimsleur audio language courses (1 to 30), but it can be quite boring but it's far better than Rosetta Stone and many others. I used to listen to them on the way to and from work. Each lesson is approx. 28-30 minutes in length and in MP3 format.

Pimsluer Thai Downloads (1st lesson free)
Pimsluer Thai at Amazon

I have to agree here totally ..... forget the writing with the norm of an English structure.... it doesn't compute!

For speaking also forget the English structure of forming sentences.......... you know the way they speak English to you in 'pigeon English' like DC says its quite easy, more or less drop the unnecessary words in the English sentence you are trying to say, and get to the point, just like they do..... don't try to translate every word, try it as if it was 'pigeon'.

Rosetta Stone is a waste of time, big bucks for little if any kind of progress, and a bit of a con.

#15 boomdraw

boomdraw
  • Banned
  • 735 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:51 AM

u could tape any thai or group of thais from the same region n dilect lets take pasa glang aka bangkok thai aka central thai and tape them sepaking for hours, then go back and edit all the tonal words in differant orders of spokeness, after play it back to the same people u taped it off of and via context alone it wouldnt change anything but for some ofcourse it would depending on the understanding they have of whats being said in the maturity of its contex n literal translation of tones , my point is the tones if u ask me are a real thing but almost to us raised in untonal langauge seem a ''bias'' if u will, but not a science just what had to come about in regional dialects via a asian hatred of two -7 syallable words that mean differant things,. I have had talks with severeal thais and they have told me specifically if they dont know the person they dont always know what there saying, its odd ive even heard girls asking if there useing the right vowels and there 18 year olds, bun is also a great name, my friends ex wife quasi whore thai bird had brothers or was it sisters who were named bunn and bunnn, f uking ridiculous if u ask me, truly the mono sound thai fetish of ancient kings who must of made the fucker that we call pasa thai up when they were 4. when 50 year olds cant understand each other if there strangers that should tell u something about what u should expect at times in speaking this fine multiple mono tone nasal twang folk jabber as well as the fact of ''perfect pitch' that is a sign of a gifted musical ear that can hear diffeance in sounds n repat them perfectly doesnt show up anymore in countries with folk jabber like the thais in comparrison to contries with non tonal ones.

falang= shitty thai fruit in the south that i dont care for
bak si dah=same fruit but what its called in issan
bak si dah ow ow kop is a cute one,translation- this juicy peice of european fruit wants to drill the fuck out of you.

#16 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:40 PM

Won't even try to read this crap. Sorry Boom - there is a need for punctuation.
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#17 boomdraw

boomdraw
  • Banned
  • 735 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:37 AM

if u cant laugh over speaking in jest on a ladyboy forum then youll probally have a hard time grasping that in thai there is no punctuation, and the simplest tenses are all u use 99 percent of the time.. and if its subject is said differantly then it denotes either its gonna pass or it already has via the tone, and again u might have to know the person to know how they say there things to understand the tense they speak of, as lets face it, most of them cant even speak there own language n certainly alot cant write it, they sure could use the future perfect continious tense overthere but good luck with that as well as the fact that there is no punctuation in thai, ever seen a coma in thai yet fellas? learn to speak the truth folks, playing dumb or being neuro linquistically programmed by words visually like the thais when they think its auditory is a mistake in openmindness which is why its very important when teaching thai people english words that u at times will have to spell them wrong to get them to say them write cause after they have ''read'' them theres no convincing them to think for themselves and understand the language isnt phoenetic, the language and also the somnambulation of the thais makes learning this dialect a waste of time to me, u through in buddist dhrama with your birth right inheritance of past karma life position/condition and your just speaking folk jabber to dreamers, thank god for the currency conversion being in ones favour cause if it wasnt so cheap in the kingdom it would be way to mentally expensive to ever deal with its inhabitants and nobody
would. Thaiand is most fun sad to say when your conscious of were u are and just exploit it without trying to give yourself a pat on your back via self induced greng jai=aka saving face. loose your face i say just keep your mind.

thai'ed down= taking a 3rd world sex worker back to the first world with you.

koon sa mong mai mee, ow ow mai?= ''hey brainless, wanna bone''?

generally my advice is if u want to learn thai to find a girl or ladyboy born in bangkok not the sticks or the south, bangkok thai to me is the easiest n the people from there seem to be the brightest, just something to think about.

#18 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:13 AM

Although I tend to agree with the essence of your post TL57, the irony lies in the fact that there is no punctuation in written Thai.

Their characters are continuous and when it's time to breath, they leave a space :mrgreen:

As stated earlier, attempting to write something in Thai using the English alphabet is a total waste of time to anyone who does not already know the words. It is meaningless and useless.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#19 Guest_jaybee11_*

Guest_jaybee11_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:22 AM

Wow, I had no idea asking that question would spark such a long thread. I just thought it might be a good idea to learn a few words and phrases but it seems I may not be understood either way. I guess I'll just have to rely on my english for the few days and nights I'm there. Anyway thanks to all for the feedback.

#20 boomdraw

boomdraw
  • Banned
  • 735 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:40 AM

it pretty much is useless untill u know the sounds, each new book u study from thats written in english youll basically have to teach yourself what they mean with there version of it, say one book uses the follwing
took= meaning cheap
another might use
thook or even dtook, and when theres probally 5 tooks maybe ten u never know what they mean at first untill u can read sentences

koon ow joop luke doom kong pom die my? do u want to kiss my nuts?
kun aow juup luuk doom kong phom dii mai
khun oow jup luuc dtoom kong pohm di mi

#21 strobriand

strobriand
  • Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:08 AM

it pretty much is useless untill u know the sounds, each new book u study from thats written in english youll basically have to teach yourself what they mean with there version of it, say one book uses the follwing
took= meaning cheap
another might use
thook or even dtook, and when theres probally 5 tooks maybe ten u never know what they mean at first untill u can read sentences

koon ow joop luke doom kong pom die my? do u want to kiss my nuts?
kun aow juup luuk doom kong phom dii mai
khun oow jup luuc dtoom kong pohm di mi

Basically all Boomdraw says is correct, there is so many different ways of writing Thai for westerners. Easier to learn Thai writing

#22 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

Semi-point taken Boom. But I'm not used to reading English with no punctuation and have no desire to do so. I understand that the Thai language is different and I am learning slowly (cha cha). I'll just pass on your posts.
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#23 boomdraw

boomdraw
  • Banned
  • 735 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:56 PM

tell a girl shes ontalie= dangerous. that always makes girls smile, what bitch doestn want to think shes dangerous with a 8th grade education and a 19 dollar price tag at 4am prior to going back to her one bedroom with 3 rooomates. on ta lie- dangerous. one of my favs.

#24 larrylarry

larrylarry
  • Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:41 AM

Try this site too its interactive click on the word and hear it pronounced

http://www.learningt.../greetings.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci