best way to learn some Thai words & phrases

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jaybee11_*

Guest_jaybee11_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:11 PM

Has anybody found a good website to learn some Thai? I found this site which has a lot of good info:

http://www.boomboomm...hailand/newbie/

Has some useful phrases too but not much help in pronouncing them. Would be great to have some sound clips to hear how it's pronounced.

In my military years, before I would go on an overseas trip, I would try to learn some of the language. I found that, even if I got it wrong, I usually received a smile & always was treated better than my buddies who just pointed at things & spoke broken english overly loud to get what they wanted.

#2 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:38 PM

I doubt English speaking guys could even guess how to say it right for the first time even though it is written down; Thai language is just so different language. If you really want to learn how to talk at least few words in decent Thai so you won’t embarrass yourself try this site:

http://www.thai-language.com/dict

You can hear right pronunciation for most words (spoken by Thai native speaker) learn some basic phrases... I used this site for my first steps into Thai language.

But then again in Pattaya your English accompanied by a lot of THB will get you anywhere.

BR

p.s.
Page about prices is all wrong, 700 THB for short time on Soi 6.. yeah right, maybe for some extra movie star but not for regular P4P lady :angel:

#3 Woof1

Woof1
  • Members
  • 910 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:02 PM

If you have time and are serious about it, you can buy a CD from the following site
www.rosettastone.com
Once you have passed the basic, it gets more interesting
So many LB So Little Time

#4 Guest_jaybee11_*

Guest_jaybee11_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:30 AM

Thanks RobiSLO, that's just what I was hoping to find. Should give me a good start.

Thanks to you too Woof. I had thought about Rosetta Stone but it seems there are so many free resourceson the internet, that I wanted to start there first.

#5 boomdraw

boomdraw
  • Banned
  • 735 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:18 AM

just my honest opinion but i think the thai language well how do i say this is kind of ugly n boring, after u learn the 7th meaning of someing in a monosyllable form its gets redundant., theres just no flavour if u ask me, no style to most of the words, i gave it up but my vocab is quite large in thai, i did give it some effort but at the end of the day i had to let it go, its just to ugly for me, kao kao ka o,, k ao, k ao, kow, cow kcow, etc,,,,lol

#6 Guest_jaybee11_*

Guest_jaybee11_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

Yeah, it does seem to be a complicated language and there's no way I'll be able to carry on a conversation but I just want to learn a few phrases, more out of respect than anything. I realize that in most of Bangkok my english will work just fine but I think that it may be helpful in forming positive impressions and attitudes if the Thai people I talk to see that I at least made some effort to learn some of the language. But thanks for your input. :D

#7 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:02 PM

It's not easy. The word for far and near is the same (glai). The difference being what tone they are said with - one's high and one's low I think and don't ask me which - I can't hear the difference. But if you're trying to say 'near' say glai twice quickly. And there are many others - beef and north are pronounced similarly (nuah). The tones drive the language.
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#8 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:00 PM

The Thai language is a simple language with no tenses and only basic sentence structure. It's the tonal aspect which fucks it right up for westerners and it can only really be learned effectively through listening, repeating and practising.

The best way, unless you have a teacher (real or whore), is to get recorded lessons. Trying to write Thai using the English alphabet is a waste of time for anyone who doesn't already know the words.

I learnt alot from the Pimsleur audio language courses (1 to 30), but it can be quite boring but it's far better than Rosetta Stone and many others. I used to listen to them on the way to and from work. Each lesson is approx. 28-30 minutes in length and in MP3 format.

Pimsluer Thai Downloads (1st lesson free)
Pimsluer Thai at Amazon

Meum cerebrum nocet

#9 Guest_jaybee11_*

Guest_jaybee11_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:00 AM

Thanks, dixon. I'll check them out.

#10 boomdraw

boomdraw
  • Banned
  • 735 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:12 AM

bai nai mar? go were come?? were have u been.

woo-ah gae gin ya on,, bull old eat young grass, u bull old eat young grassers know just what im poot mahking about u really do

learning thai u ask ? give it a try it can be fun n your brain gets fantastic cardio when u learn a new language, which is why so many thank me for my contributions on the forum in boomglish.

gin kee bee nown= eat shit fuck sleep, every culture has figured out its highest post Albert Camus absurdist life view ,,even the thais. eat sleep shit n fuck is universal and as we all learn even without albert=practicality wins out.

thai is so weird, even the common ''mai ow'' which translates to ''no want'' or more clearly ''no'', when said with just the ow means fuck, try ''ow ow mai'' sometime, youll get a laugh surely.

and surey youll meet a girl name Bee there right, well Bee means fuck in thai slang. its kind of odd a parent nick names there kid fuck but they do, it just probally means the kings trumpet, but thats be not bee.

and finally good ol fuck soup, a personal favourite as i luv pumpkin and its seeds, its actually fuck tong but fuck soup is what u will hear locals say.

#11 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:46 AM

and finally good ol fuck soup, a personal favourite as i luv pumpkin and its seeds, its actually fuck tong but fuck soup is what u will hear locals say.

That reminds me..

There's a vegetable similar to a yam called a "fug yoo". Mildly amusing at the market :mrgreen:

Meum cerebrum nocet

#12 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:14 AM

Albert Camus absurdist life view

One of my favorite writers 8)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci