• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Gilles 27

Gilles 27
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:51 PM

Hallo everyone,

does anyone know what it takes to open a bank account as a foreigner in Thailand?

In addition will the bank transfer information to the German IRS(Finanzamt)?

Thx

Gilles

#2 farangbah

farangbah
  • Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

Don't know about the German IRS, mate, but I just opened an account with Bangkok Bank. They only required proof of an apartment contract, while Siam Commercial Bank and Ayudhya (or however you spell it, the yellow one) required a work permit to open an account.

Good luck.

#3 hartmut

hartmut
  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

i opened an account with Bangkok Bank with just a 60 day tourist visa. For the folks in the states Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank with an ACH number, that makes transferring funds easy and much cheaper($5) and a good exchange rate. Their ATM works in almost all ATM's in LoS with no charge.
No Matter where you are or have been, You are Here

#4 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:42 PM

I have an account with Siam Commercial. Easy to transfer funds from UK, when required, and as far as i'm aware they don't share my information.

#5 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

does anyone know what it takes to open a bank account as a foreigner in Thailand?

When I set up my account with Kasikornbank, all that was required from me was:

1. Passport
2. Email address (for internet banking)
3. Mobile phone with Thai number (for telephone banking)
4. Address (my hotel address and room number was fine)
5. BHT500 for the ATM card (lasts 5 years)
6. Some money to deposit

I visited the branch upstairs in Central Center (Big C), North Pattaya and the process took less than 30 mins.

After the account was setup inside the branch and I'd received my passbook and ATM card the girls on the helpdesk outside took over and pressed all the buttons required on the ATM machine to allow me to change my PIN and also to enter my Thai mobile phone number to associate it with the telephone banking system, they downloaded the necassary software onto my mobile (Thai GSM).

Details were emailed to me to setup the online banking by the time I'd got back to the hotel and it all worked seamlessly.

Mobile phone top-up is also available to any Thai mobile number via the telephone banking and it's free to access and check your balance. Transfers costs BHT10 each.

I could not imagine this process or the functionality Kasikornbank provides could have been any better or easier ~ Recommended.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#6 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

I've opened 3 Thai accounts in the last 3 years, with 2 (Bangkok Bank & Siam) I needed to show my business visa, with Kasikorn they only required to see my passport and entry stamp (no visa requirements).

And off the 3 Kasikorn has been by far the best and easiest to deal with. I do like that I can transfer money to Bangkok Bank in UK£ and keep it in that currency until I'm ready to exchange it, but they are a crappy bank to deal with. There are also a ton of Kasokorns now open in Pattaya, from 8am to 8pm, which is great when you are a bit forgetful like me and keep walking away form atms without your card.

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#7 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:37 AM

i opened an account with Bangkok Bank with just a 60 day tourist visa. For the folks in the states Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank with an ACH number, that makes transferring funds easy and much cheaper($5) and a good exchange rate. Their ATM works in almost all ATM's in LoS with no charge.

You are a lucky man. I know a couple of guys that were told they need proof they residence in Thailand (work permit, retirement permit) to open a Bangkok Bank account. I know someone that got one with a work permit but not a tourist visa. Congrats, guess you never know.
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#8 Ivor Biggun

Ivor Biggun
  • Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:56 PM

I'm with Bangkok bank and Kasikorn. kasikorn by far the easiest to set up an account with, especially if you hit a new branch wanting t build up custom ( You can now get fixed term accounts with them as well). Bangkok bank account was obtained when i had a work permit, they can be a bit more difficult to open with.

I tx money up from Singapore to Phuket without any probs using the kasikorn account- they send it up in dollars and the conversion is done at this end which garners ( that's a word we don't see often here!!) a better exchange rate. I find Kasikorn's rate is normally better than the other banks as well.

#9 essex boy

essex boy
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:16 AM

i went to the bangkok bank at the top of soi 6 2nd road and opened one.
all i had was my passport and the visa slip u fill out on the plane for 30 days and a card from a bar with an address on it saying i stayed there.
now 1 week before i go i transfer 150,000 baht into the account from my uk bank and goes in the same day.
its so much easier now than taking all cash.

#10 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:50 AM

... and goes in the same day.

I don't believe you.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#11 essex boy

essex boy
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:59 PM

I don't believe you.

i would lie for what?
i never had a visa only the landing cards u do on the plane so if u there i show u my b 1st visa card.
they did ask me about a visa but i just said i was going to extend my stay and get one at a later date .
that was the only thing i lies about it was that easy.
if u dont believe me i dont give a shit :D

#12 essex boy

essex boy
  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:03 PM

I don't believe you.

when i send it from uk i send it as a swift payment and its a £25 charge to do if u send £100 or £5000 its the same charge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci