Flooding???

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#25 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

Jeez. Unbelievable. This is precisely why I didn't schedule my trip in October. Rain-a-phobic.

Anybody know when the summer monsoon "officially" ends?
Nix

#26 patrick

patrick
  • Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:53 AM

I think the rainy season for most of Thailand is officially May to November, with September and October being the wettest months.
Hopefully the sun will be out when I touch down on 29th October, maybe just a last clearing shower 8)
When I were a lad we had the one thing that money can't buy....poverty

#27 boss45

boss45
  • Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

Anyone know if this is by Beach Road, Walking street?

The photos above are Phuket, so you probably need to be a little more specific about your question.

The only Walking St. I know is in Patts. JIMBO how is it affecting you?

#28 stonefre

stonefre
  • Members
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

Anyone know if this is by Beach Road, Walking street?

The photos above are Phuket, so you probably need to be a little more specific about your question.

The only Walking St. I know is in Patts. JIMBO how is it affecting you?

I believe Jimbo is back home for a bit so probably not affecting him.

#29 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:43 AM

I think the rainy season for most of Thailand is officially May to November, with September and October being the wettest months.
Hopefully the sun will be out when I touch down on 29th October, maybe just a last clearing shower 8)

In 2009, I was on Phuket from about Oct 21 through Nov 10. I remember October being pretty rainy.....though it was not constant, and only a couple of straight rainy days in a row. Sufficient sunshine and not at all intolerable.

Then, November came and it was almost miraculous. Mostly sunny (scattered rain, of course), but very nice. I'm hoping for more of the same when i arrive Mid-Nov.

Good luck Patrick! Keep us posted.
Nix

#30 slappy111

slappy111
  • Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:03 AM

http://www.phuketgaz...ticle11175.html
I don't mind you coming here
And wasting all my time
Cuz when you're standing oh so near
I kinda lose my mind, yeah

#31 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

Things usually start to settle down in November in Pattaya. But as I remember there was some bad street flooding in mid November last year or the year before.

I remember last October walking home at 3 AM on Soi Buakhao in knee deep water. Soi Buakhao floods badly from about Soi Honey to down near the R-Con and beyond.

http://en.wikipedia....Pattaya#Climate
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#32 Ivor Biggun

Ivor Biggun
  • Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:03 PM

October is traditionally the heaviest month for rainfall in Phuket- as seen outside the window at the moment. the past couple of years the weather has been all fucked up though, with heavy rain into December as well. As we are getting the briunt of it at the moment hopefully we are back to the old pattern. The last time I remember it as heavy at this was in Oct 2004, 2 months before the tsunami.

I took a walk up and over the road that leads past skylab yesterday- there have been more landslips but the one near skylab seems about the same. An update on the Patong-Kathu road is that they are keeping the 'slow' lane closed at the moment whilst they work out what to do- with the rain that s coming down at the moment we could see more than a crack if it undermines the road.

#33 CL

CL
  • Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:42 AM

http://www.google.or...flood-2011.html

#34 boss45

boss45
  • Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:19 AM

Here is another.

http://news.asiaone....020-306150.html

#35 paganbaby

paganbaby
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:58 PM

For BKK, the crucial time is from Oct 16 to 20 when high tide in the gulf serves to slow the flow of the Chao Phraya. If it continues to rain, it could be the worst flooding in memory, according to forecasters. It absolutely pissed down all morning till about 2:00 pm today. I am near the river by the major hotels and the river is high, but still contained. No flooding in this part of BKK yet

#36 Ivor Biggun

Ivor Biggun
  • Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:01 PM

2 routes into Patong have seen roads subside. The patong-kamala road has lost half a lane in Kalim and there is a big crack along the Kathu side of the hill leading to Patong. There was massive flooding at the north end of patong again last tuesday and a heavy shower in the am yesterday. Heavy rain supposed to be hitting us again in the next couple of days so stand by for updates. At least if the road caves in we won't have to worry about a tunnel, 555. :clapclap:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci