Photography Tips

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 Bumblebee

Bumblebee
  • Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

Kliome made a suggestiong in FBUKs enjoyable TR that it might be a good idea for us all to share our photography knowledge and answer any questions BMs may have.

Now let me say from the start I am in no way a photography expert, far from it. I am just a guy who enjoys taking photos, reading tips online and putting them into practice. I don't even have a flashy DSLR, I only use a Canon bridge camera and a Panasonic point and shoot. So I hope you more knowledgeable of photography BMs can help the guys out also.

Some BMs have said to me they like my photos because they make them feel like they are there in the bar with the girl. So I will start this off with some tips on taking those shots, the ones most of us will be taking, besides the room shots.

Rule of Thirds:
The most common mistake guys make is taking out their camera, holding it in the landscape position and placing the subject slap bang in the centre. This leaves a lot of wasted space above and either side of the subject. To combat this, if you want to use the landscape position, place your subject to the left or right, depending on the way they are looking. Also don't leave much space above their heads. This is called the Rule of Thirds.

Basically it means dividing the photo up in sections of 3, ie 2 horizontal lines and 2 vertical llines. Where the lines cross are where the eye naturally looks when observing a photo.

When you are aware of this rule you will see it everywhere. Notice it the next time you watch the news, chat shows, movies etc. It is one of the fundamentals of composition.

http://photoinf.com/..._of_thirds.html

Attached Files

• Attached File  p1.jpg   107.16KB   57 downloads
  • Attached File  p2.jpg   122.06KB   53 downloads
  • Attached File  p15.jpg   15.28KB   2491 downloads

• ABDUMANAP, Abramovich and mugSciemi like this
We laugh because it is true.

#2 Bumblebee

Bumblebee
  • Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:02 PM

Fill the Frame:

Another important basic tip is to fill the frame. I'll use the same photo to illustrate this point. When you are going to take a photo of someone, why not turn the camera around to portrait position. This way you can fill the frame. Use the zoom or walk to get closer to the subject to minimise the about of empty space and emphasise the subject and show as much body as is possible. Compare this photo to the centred one of Shar.

http://digital-photo...fill-your-frame

Attached Files

• Attached File  p3.jpg   127.49KB   2581 downloads

• Abramovich likes this

#3 Bumblebee

Bumblebee
  • Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

Some more examples of the rule of thirds combined with filling the frame as much as you can with your subject. When the girls are sitting in one direction or the other, use the portrait position and move them to one side or the other. Fight the urge to centre them or you will have some wasted space behind the subject.

If you imagine the rule of thirds grid over these photos the vertical lines would pass through the upper body and the lower horizontal line going across the legs.

Attached Files

• Attached File  p4.jpg   146.98KB   55 downloads
  • Attached File  p5.jpg   112.3KB   57 downloads

• Abramovich and sebjohnson123@gmail.com like this

#4 eslmiker

eslmiker
  • Members
  • 1,996 posts
  • Locationthe Land of Sand

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

Cheers to you BB, and to Kliome for the suggestion for this thread! I'm really looking forward to this and will be an avid reader.

I've just bought a new Canon S90 for my upcoming trip, so I hope to make good use of it, and this thread, during my trip. Now, I just have to learn how to make the most out of this camera.

One problem is the manual is totally in Korean, which otherwise would have made good flight & hotel reading material. So, I have to copy & use the English pdf file from the CD. I might just print the sections I'm most interested in though.

New pictures of Pookie (among others) soon! :pic: Cheers!
  • Abramovich likes this

#5 Bumblebee

Bumblebee
  • Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:23 PM

To get as much of those legs in as possible, I get the girls to sit in a position that minimises the amount of wasted space and maximises as much body as we can fit in the frame.

Attached Files

• Attached File  p6.jpg   125.11KB   55 downloads
  • Attached File  p7.jpg   159.07KB   46 downloads

#6 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

Yes, I expect this to be a very useful thread. Thanks BB (and don't be so modest!) :clapclap:

It's a good place for anyone to ask any picture related questions or pose any problems they've.

I'll be following this thread closely myself, I'm pretty useless with a camera.

We have several top picture takers on here, including BB. Any other BMs who wish to chip in, are very welcome, in fact I'm hoping a few of the other great potographers on here will do just that.

:thnx:

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#7 Bumblebee

Bumblebee
  • Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

Cheers to you BB, and to Kliome for the suggestion for this thread! I'm really looking forward to this and will be an avid reader.

I've just bought a new Canon S90 for my upcoming trip, so I hope to make good use of it, and this thread, during my trip. Now, I just have to learn how to make the most out of this camera.

One problem is the manual is totally in Korean, which otherwise would have made good flight & hotel reading material. So, I have to copy & use the English pdf file from the CD. I might just print the sections I'm most interested in though.

New pictures of Pookie (among others) soon! :pic: Cheers!

Looking forward to them Mike. And the Canon S90 seems to be the weapon of choice for many BMs, great camera for bar shots. When the technical questions come in I hope the more knowledgeable guys can help out.

#8 Nick Bullseye

Nick Bullseye
  • Members
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:28 PM

Excellent initiative, BB! Thanks.

Nick Bullseye

#9 Bumblebee

Bumblebee
  • Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

Yes, I expect this to be a very useful thread. Thanks BB (and don't be so modest!) :clapclap:

It's a good place for anyone to ask any picture related questions or pose any problems they've.

I'll be following this thread closely myself, I'm pretty useless with a camera.

We have several top picture takers on here, including BB. Any other BMs who wish to chip in, are very welcome, in fact I'm hoping a few of the other great potographers on here will do just that.

:thnx:

The proof of the pudding will be in the future TRs I guess. If the guys take on board any info here, hopefully we shall see an improvement in the photos. :pic: Keep shooting guys.

#10 Bumblebee

Bumblebee
  • Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

Excellent initiative, BB! Thanks.

Thanks Bullseyemaco, but also kudos to Kliome for suggesting it.

#11 Bumblebee

Bumblebee
  • Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:36 AM

Most cameras have an option of displaying the grid that will help you compose your photos using the rule of thirds, yes that is what those annoying lines ruining your display screen are for. :D

This example shows how the lines cross at the girl's smile., thus drawing our attention to it. Not sure if she is packing, very much doubt it. :D

Attached Files

• Attached File  p14.jpg   27.61KB   2526 downloads

#12 soulboy

soulboy
  • Members
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:41 AM

Enter Pacman :teach:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci