Photo

Nip, Chink, Gook..... Farang!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Thai use of the word "farang"

Thai use of the word "farang"

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#13 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

Farang; Is the Thai word for a foreigner of European ancestry, therefore the Blacks, Japs, Chinese and other Asians are not

I'd suggest that Japs is also considered abusive - use Japanese.

I'm happy to continue calling the yellow men Jap's thank you very much :o

#14 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:23 PM

There is also the term luk krung, meaning someone who is half/Part Thai but looks foreign.. ie Tiger Woods.. and .. uhm.. that girl who sang 'I believe'.. and I don't know anyone else..

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#15 drhoneytongue

drhoneytongue
  • Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:54 PM

There is also the term luk krung, meaning someone who is half/Part Thai but looks foreign.. ie Tiger Woods.. and .. uhm.. that girl who sang 'I believe'.. and I don't know anyone else..

Again, not unique to Thailand, they call them HA-FU in Japan, halfs!

Other though say they should be called 'Doubles"...

Over the last 10 years a number of them have made a fortune from their inheritance; their looks and physiognomy, and occasionally their language skills. They are also used extensively in marketing, as their looks transcend boundaries....

37 years in Asia, 35 years with the 3rd sex.

When you take your last breath, don't be thinking, "I wish I had....." It'll be too late then!

#16 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:13 PM

It's interesting just to hear what other people think, also interesting that so far nobody appears bothered by the word farang and accepts it, although context can play a great part in what message the speaker is trying to convey.

Over the years I've heard and understood different accounts of the origin and it's still not 100% clear.

Farang-set: the Thai word for the French, as Nippon is for Japanese and Jin (Chin) is for the Chinese. So two of the first words in my OP are accounted for. Gook is a term I've often heard in Vietnam War movies with reference to the enemy, so it's assumed it is a derogatory and offensive term used by farang.

Ferenghi: apart from the 'species' in Star Trek, ferenghi in Malaysia means foreigner, as in the name "Batu Ferenghi" (Foreigner's Rock) in Penang. I visited there in 1998 which is why I remember it.

Man-Farang: Potatoes. Also other vegetables and fruits contain the word farang, such as morning glory, asparagus. So you often hear the word farang used in restaurants with no reference to you or other humans.

Farang: Guava fruit. Although not indigenous to Thailand or SE Asia, the colour of the inner flesh is compared to the skin colour of white westerners and can be the cause of some amusement to Thais when they see farang eating farang. I heard this explanation from the lady who runs the cafe next to The Place To Stay last year in Phuket. She said the comaparison in clour is why we are called farang.

Farang: Long nose. When I first visited Thailand over 10 years ago this was the first description of the word farang I ever heard.
Anybody have any others, or any farang stories?

For me, on the whole, I'd say it doesn't bother me to be called a farang, especially by people I don't know or who don't know me.

But I get a little pissed off if I am referred to in my presence with the word farang, it's almost like I'm being labelled as second class or not worthy of a name. Or if a person knows my name yet fails to use it, it can feel like it's a substitute for Johnny foreigner.

Who voted for 'None of the above'? - Interesting :)

Meum cerebrum nocet

#17 drhoneytongue

drhoneytongue
  • Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

Suggest you go through the Racial Slurs Database...

http://www.rsdb.org/

It's good just to read the origins, sort of mini history lessons...

BTW for Japan, Nippon is the name of the country, Nihonjin are the people...

Besides gaijin/ gaikokujin, they also label foreigners as 'keto' meaning redhead or barbarians - now that is considered a slur!

Chinese - gwailoh - the Caucasian ghost man!

Taipan - much misunderstood - not quite the master of the universe as James Clavell would have you believe, but used for toilet cleaner in Chinese - they use the word Lo Ban for a company chief!

Lots more examples in Asia, but outside of LOS....

37 years in Asia, 35 years with the 3rd sex.

When you take your last breath, don't be thinking, "I wish I had....." It'll be too late then!

#18 Brit

Brit
  • Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:19 PM

DC,

I've also heard the "Farang: Guava fruit" origin from a few people - but good summary above. Would be interesting for a thai language professor to clarify.

We can only speculate from a foreigners perspective and what various stories we have been told.
I spent a lot of money on LB's in Nana Plaza, Patpong and Pattaya. The rest of the cash, I just squandered

#19 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:30 AM

it gives me the hump.
i got a black mate called "black rob".
but we dont call him that while he sits with us.
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#20 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:54 AM

Over the years I've heard and understood different accounts of the origin and it's still not 100% clear.

I've heard a few different explanations for the word farang, but academically I've always read that Farang is from the abbreviaiton for the word French, and it makes obvious sense seeing as the French (and to some extent the Portugues) were the first Europeans to trade with and colonise in Thailand and South East Asia.

Who voted for 'None of the above'? - Interesting :)

It was me! I voted none of the above :oops: But as you said yourself, and as with a lot of slang, it all depends on the tone and context. I'm not offended by the word at all, and I don't see why anyone should be, but I've felt offended by someone using it before :cry:

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#21 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:01 AM

I don't see it as a derogatory term, but then Thai's don't use that term for me since I am Chinese Canadian. :)

I can see DC's point when the term is used in your presence, instead of your name. That is definitely rude!

#22 Rossco

Rossco
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:02 AM

They only call Dixon Cox 'Farang' as in Thai his name is pronounced Licksum Cocks!

I heard that Farang is a shortened form of chaao-farang-seet which is Thai for French.
Also man-fa-rang means French Fries
Also heard that if a kid calls you Farang you reply with Mango - he called you 'food' so you call him 'fruit'

#23 Phil Lander

Phil Lander
  • Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:30 PM

I'm not bothered by the term as I'm used to hearing Pakeha (White meat) or Palangi .
Interesting my wife still uses the term Farang even though she's lived in NZ for over 9 years.
Phil Lander by name Phillanderer by nature.
The World is my Oyster - Muwhahahahaha!!
A Ladyboy is never early , neither is she ever late . She turns up precisely when she means to.

#24 duke007

duke007
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:47 PM

Farang; Is the Thai word for a foreigner of European ancestry, therefore the Blacks, Japs, Chinese and other Asians are not

I'd suggest that Japs is also considered abusive - use Japanese.

Well I hope you dont refer to we from the Mother Country as "Brits" then :shock:

P.S. My ex g/f has called me a Buffalo a few times :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci