• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 MDS

MDS
  • Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:19 AM

Hi all
www.airasia.com/ has some cheap deals on at the moment to get from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and a few other places in Thailand.
Worked it out last night to be aprox $90.00AUD return from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.
Is it worth spending a few days in Chiang Mai?
Trip so far includes Singapore, Phuket, Bangkok so if I go to Chiang Mai it will be for a diversion from a few days in Pattaya in Bangkok.
Have read one or two of the trip reports but just wanting any updated info and letting you all know there are some cheap flights at the moment in case anyone else was shopping around.
MDS.

#2 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:16 PM

Hi MarquisDeSade,

In short, Chiang Mai is a beautiful place, and quite a different vibe when compared to Bangkok, Pattaya & Phuket.

Personally, I love Chiang Mai, and plan to be heading there again next trip, however I wouldn't advise anyone to travel there purely for the ladyboy scene.

There are a couple of LB bars, and plenty of streetwalkers however still limited in comparison to the usual destinations.

Nevertheless, worth the trip to check out the city and experience a change of pace.

Cheers
Koykaeng
Sign in pub "In case of fire - break glass". Now my beer's gone everywhere, and there's still a fire.

#3 MDS

MDS
  • Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:47 PM

Thanks KK, the $$$ is tight this trip is Chang Mai cheaper option than spending a long time in Pattaya?

Was thinking $90 return flight from Bangkok to Chang is not to bad.

Probably getting some dental work done in BKK to so Chang may be more of a place to go to recover at this stage.

#4 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:17 PM

Chiang Mai is very cheap, infact considerably cheaper than Pattaya.

Accommodation is cheap, and food is ultra cheap.

You can eat for as little as 30 Baht for a meal.

The streetwalkers can be had for less than 500 Baht. :shock:

Cheers
Koykaeng
Sign in pub "In case of fire - break glass". Now my beer's gone everywhere, and there's still a fire.

#5 MDS

MDS
  • Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

Thanks KK will play with the dates and looks like going to be doing all 4 Cities while in LOS this time around, save a bit of cash for Pattaya and Phuket.

#6 kakila

kakila
  • Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:45 AM

MDS

have to agree with all posted here.

Chiang mai is one of my prefer places in thailand. very relaxing and very different to the other touristy places in thailand.

recommend you find hotel near the night market (night Bazaar as it if referred too). Try the Royal Lanna good and friendly, can take ladys there is you wish as you dont need to report to reception.

http://www.hotelthai...ai/royal-lanna/

not a big LB scene but many very beautiful LB's around and freelancing on the street.

There is a bar area and thai boxing venue near the night markets I have seen and met several LB's there.

good luck enjoy your trip

pelavitch
pela is no more. a necessary name change to prevent wife turning me into a post op

#7 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

Hi all. I think I'll go to Chiang Mai for a few days this month, for tourism purposes only (this is official story, unofficially; local LBs here I come :lol: ). Can anyone recommend me some small hotel near action, this Royal Lanna hotel is my second choice first would be some small low profile hotel like ones on Walking Street in Pattaya I like so much :oops: .

BR

#8 LB3048

LB3048
  • Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:08 PM

Chiang Mai is definately worth a visit, it's a nice place and a convenient if you want to visit the Golden Triangle or Chaing Rai. Definately stay close to the Night Bazaar, all of the action is around that area, there are a few bars (not bar girl type bars) across the river which aren't bad if you want to just spend some time just drinking and having a good time.

There are also some ruins of villages being excavated in the area as well if you're into that sort of thing.

#9 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:26 PM

Chiang Mai is definately worth a visit, it's a nice place and a convenient if you want to visit the Golden Triangle or Chaing Rai. Definately stay close to the Night Bazaar, all of the action is around that area, there are a few bars (not bar girl type bars) across the river which aren't bad if you want to just spend some time just drinking and having a good time.

There are also some ruins of villages being excavated in the area as well if you're into that sort of thing.

Yes, my point exactly. Last time I visited monger places only 8) , this time I would like to so other Thailand too. That’s why I would really like to avoid this 3-5 stars big hotels I hate so much as they remind me of my constant business trips... They are just not my kind of place I would like to be when I'm out of work.

BR

#10 seaman08

seaman08
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

If you're looking for a smaller place, in Chiang Mai that's more of a guesthouse than a small hotel. I would recommend Ban Ramida, a small place on MoonMuang Soi 7, just inside the moat. A very short ride or nice walk to the LB venues and just around the corner from Spicy, a good freelancer/after hours spot for the GGs.

They close the "lobby" at 9pm so its essentially guest friendly. Never got any odd looks when i walked out in the AM with a new friend.

#11 stonefre

stonefre
  • Members
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:40 PM

I'm considering a stay in Chiang Mai my next trip in November. Any guesthouse recommendations near the night bazaar area?

#12 katana57

katana57
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

Montri Hotel is good,LB friendly,and close to everything.Good brekkie,too!
Sometimes a man can meet his destiny,
on the road he took to avoid it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci