34 replies to this topic

#1 waltz

waltz
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:19 AM

Grenades, demonstrations etc....

How does this affect things in BKK?

Is is just business as usual (like always) or do you guys take any precautions concerning the situation?

I guess PAT as unaffected as usual...
"Improvise, Adapt n' Overcum"
- G n' Karl
I come from the land up yonder, where your dick FREEZES HARD.

#2 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:48 AM

The problems have affected tourist visits this year, estimated to be around 30% less - high season, may not be very "high".

Main advice for visitors is to avoid any areas where the demonstrators are, stay away from large crowds, and don't wear a yellow or red shirt.

#3 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:04 AM

Do you know rxpharm I remain bemused by these suggestions that tourist numbers are down on this time last year :?
Although I did see some evidence of that in Pattaya, for the last 3 days Bangkok has been packed, indeed Dynasty Inn Grand, Majestic Grand and Aspen Suites were all full when I attempted to make a last minute reservation for the weekend.

#4 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:24 AM

there has been trouble on and off now for a wee while, i got a room at the pbr in june ok, but tried to book up in low season september and could not get a room for my full 3 weeks stay, the streets looked a wee bit quieter in patts but nothing drastic, as walking street is always packed no matter what time of the year, i do not really see any effect, and in june and september both my flights were pretty much full as well.

#5 Phil Lander

Phil Lander
  • Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:36 PM

On my way out , I noticed more Police at the Airport but nothing drastic .

Walking street was quiet at some points during last week , depending on what time of night you went it varied so much . Last Jan I cant remember ever seeing it quiet.
Phil Lander by name Phillanderer by nature.
The World is my Oyster - Muwhahahahaha!!
A Ladyboy is never early , neither is she ever late . She turns up precisely when she means to.

#6 Drift Spunk

Drift Spunk
  • Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

Breaking News:

Protesters begin "last battle" at Parliament, Police step up security
4 grenades explode near ASTV TV station
PAD Protesters besiege Parliament, Police head office, electricity cut off
5 MPs, 1 senator stranded inside Parlaiment, House meeting postponmed indefinitely

#7 gaz

gaz
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:16 PM

and the bht will go up :lol:

#8 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:45 AM

and the bht will go up :lol:

Our intepid reporter on the ground (Wayout Club) with the latest financial scoop :o

As it happens he's probably right. Political unrest can do wonders for a currency.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#9 gaz

gaz
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:03 PM

Two wounded in Thai protest gunfire: police

Thai police say two people have been wounded by gunfire in Bangkok during a clash between pro- and anti-government supporters.

The incident happened on the road to Bangkok's old international airport, where thousands of demonstrators have surrounded the temporary offices of Thailand's prime minister.

Public television aired footage of the shooting.

It purported to show at least two security guards from the anti-government movement, the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), firing handguns at the government supporters.

The TV station said the cameraman was threatened, and other security guards tried to seize his tape.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, who has rejected PAD demands he resign, is due to return on Wednesday (local time) from an Asia-Pacific summit in Peru.

http://www.abc.net.a...?section=justin

#10 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:33 PM

PAD demonstrator broke through airport security and forced a partial closure - all departing flights are canceled. Arriving flights are unaffected.

Fights have broken out between taxi drivers (many of them Thaksin supporters) and PAD demonstrators.

Keep an eye on news, especially if you are departing in the near future. Stay away from crowds, avoid wearing red or yellow shirts.

#11 gaz

gaz
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:49 PM

Bangkok Airport Shut Over Protest

Bangkok's international airport has been closed after anti-government protesters surged into the main terminal building.
The operator, Airports of Thailand, say they have shut down the Suvarnabhumi airport indefinitely.

A spokesman said:"We have already informed the airlines who operate from it.

"Flights in the air will be diverted to either Chiang Mai, Phuket or other airports, but it closed as of 9pm (2pm GMT)."
British Airways told Sky News that one flight to Bangkok had already been cancled and another flight had been diverted to Singapore.

A BA spokesman said the decision was regrettable, but the deteriorating situation in Thailand had left them with little choice.

At least 2,000 supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) had surrounded the airport as part of their six-month campaign to oust the government.

Police Colonel Theeradej Chanurak, a senior police official responsible for the airport, confirmed that protesters then entered the terminal.

He said: "Some of the protesters have entered the terminal buildings.

"They walked towards it while police tried to stop them but could not do anything as police have received orders not to use any force."

http://news.sky.com/..._Storm_Terminal

#12 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:50 AM

all departing flights are canceled. Arriving flights are unaffected.

Keep an eye on news, especially if you are departing in the near future. Stay away from crowds, avoid wearing red or yellow shirts.

Thanks for the shirt colour advice rxpharm.

At least so far arrivals are unaffected, although some flights to Suvarnabhumi have been cancelled at source.

Video clip:
http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/7747886.stm

Meum cerebrum nocet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci