BEST DEAL WHEN EXCHANGING MONEY OR TC'S

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:28 PM

Hi guys, since the times we are now living in appear to be heading for a recession, and our beloved pound has dropped dramatically against the baht, i thought it may be a good idea to find out where we can get the best deals for our hard earned cash.
PATTAYA, i find that the white booth on 2nd road next to tiffany gives you a good deal, they always give you the best rate, and do not charge you when exchanging TC'S, but they do charge when exchanging money, however the amount is nominal.
Also when i go for the first time, the lady (gg) working here photocopies my passport and keeps it for me, so the next time i come, maybe 3/4 days later, she has a copy of my passport, hence i do not need to carry it with me.
I can only pass on my knowledge of patts, but if any one can add more suggestions please do, not only for patts, but other areas of los.
i would like to think this may help people traveling soon, as if i were going soon i would be looking to stretch my hard earned money furhter due to the shitty rate that we are getting for our cash :idea:

#2 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:57 PM

DELETED

#3 PP

PP
  • Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:28 PM

#4 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:17 AM

... i would be looking to stretch my hard earned money furhter due to the shitty rate that we are getting for our cash :idea:

If you need to piss about for the sake of a few satang then perhaps your trips are beyond your means.

Stay at home and save up until you can afford it, it's not pretty watching farang scrimp and scrape.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#5 triat45

triat45
  • Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:22 AM

I'm leaning strongly to DC's view here.
Convenience and security are the primary driver for me, and that means using the Travelex Cash Passport card - pay into the account in own currency using the internet and BPay, and take it out via any Visa-accepting ATM (i.e. most of them) in local currency wherever I am, when I need it.
Triat

#6 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

• Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:19 PM

Look DIXON, it is my money, i do not scrimp and save on holiday, i would say regarding my financies, i am pretty much ok, how ever bill gates i am not, if saving a few quid is below you then tough, i take more than enough cash with me when in los but i do not throw money around as if it grows on trees. when i was getting 70- 65 baht to the pound, as you would put it a few satang would not bother me, however if i am now losing about 20 quid everytime i would cash 100, then you are fucking right i would like to save a few satang, as if you went to your bank back home and they gave you 80 pouns instead of 100, i am pretty sure you would look around for the best deal, the more i can save from usuing the best rates around is more money for me to spend in los. SO WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DICTATING TO ME WHEN I CAN COME TO THAILAND, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU KNOW FUCK ALL ABOUT ME, AND MY FINANCIAL SITUATION.!!!!!

#7 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

No need to throw the toys out the pram like that rev ole chap :shock:
My usual method is to send an electronic transfer over to my Thai bank account just before departure however, with a rate in the low 50's that ain't gonna happen this time, luckily I have a few funds still there from a previous trip which should tide me over for a week or two.
I have never been a lover of Travellers Cheques much prefering to take a wedge of cash in fifty pound notes however, I suppose my UK ATM card shall be used fairly frequently this trip whilst keeping an eye on the rate and as soon as it approaches the sixties (fingers crossed) then a transfer shall be made.

But as I have said before, lady drinks are gonna be much more restricted this winter :(

#8 donnykey

donnykey
  • Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

But as I have said before, lady drinks are gonna be much more restricted this winter :(

Yes PT i gotta agree there....But as you know most of the gals don't really understand what's going on with Exchange rates etc (except for the sponsored ones of course) and i can see a few cheap charlie remarks flying about.....Oh well that's racing...Cheers Donnykey
Oh so happy when in LOS

#9 Drift Spunk

Drift Spunk
  • Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:04 PM

I know that my bank charges a $5 transaction fee and a 2.5% conversion fee of the total you withdraw. fucking banks hate them all! :evil:

#10 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

• Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:52 PM

DRIFT SPUNK, why not take tc's, i know that my bank does not charge me when ordering them, i think most banks have this procedure

#11 Drift Spunk

Drift Spunk
  • Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:56 PM

I have used Tc's a bit in the past but i'm now looking at maybe using a cash passport next time

http://www.cashpassport.com.au/

#12 Guest_Hairy Old Fanny Filler_*

• Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:04 PM

looks to be a good idea, but what if you lose your bank card or cash passport, it's just that with american express tcs they can usually replace them quite quickly

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci