• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#25 Kinkoy

Kinkoy
  • Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:18 PM

Full time in Los is the goal.
In 3 – 4 years I will sell house and business here, and move to Thailand. And Pattaya is my home.
I lived there for one year about 18 years ago, so I kind of know what to expect.
And have been there regular on holidays ever since, I have seen the changes.
I had a Thai wife for 17 years, but we divorced a year ago. So I speak some Thai, and understand the culture (to a point). Eat all their food, and love chilli just like they do :D

I think there are way too many things to do, to get bored with Los.
And if bored in one place, there are so many nice and different destinations to travel to within Thailand, that I do not see an urge to leave the country.
But the first years, I might go back to Norway and work, maybe 3 months in the summer.
Just for keeping in touch with family, and some extra cash :)

Like a few others stated, me to are fed up with this country, and politicians and all their efforts to control our life’s. So I can’t wait to literally sign off and out of this community.
I know everything is not perfect in Los, and paying of corrupt cops, is really annoying me.
But I don’t have any immediate plans to go in to any kind of business there.
The food, the climate, the Thai people and friends living there already, I don’t think I will have any problems blending in!
I always cry a bit when leaving Los, 3, 4 or 5 weeks holidays are always too short.
So moving there and live there will be the right decision for me.

Cheers and beers
So dark, the con of man..

#26 FatboyUK

FatboyUK
  • Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:34 PM

where would you go then? if you were to get bored with thailand.?

Thats the great thing about my plan - I just dont think there would be much oppurtunity to get bored, what with the commuting, seeing friends and family whilst in the UK, and then living the Thai way and learning the language and culture.

The most boring thing would be watching the same movies on the flights to and from the UK. But as I'm lucky enough to say that, if all going well, i'll be mostly travelling in Club class soon, so will be seeing much more of the back of my eyelids, stretched out on a fully flat bed for the majority of the 12 hour flight, dreaming about what will be waiting for me in my Bangkok/Phuket apartment...... :D

Man I love my job....... 8)

#27 mardhi

mardhi
  • Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:18 AM

The whole bare scene can get very boring very quickly. Most of my friends just use bars as a means to chat to each other and hardly ever talk to girls/LB's. As someone who has lived here for nearly 10 years, I would have gone crazy without having a job.

Cheers
Mardhi

#28 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

DELETED

#29 freebirdabc

freebirdabc
  • Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:11 PM

Well, living here since 7 month, going back in 2 month, not too bad chances (according to my boss) to find a good job with what I'm doing. So I might return after a short stop in Germany.

Still not sure if I want to do it. Working with Thais can really drive you mad. I got to remind colleagues countless times that I asked for some information and I need them fast...

The bars got boring after 3 month, now they are fucking boring. Even doing girls from 7/11 got boring. Take them out to dinner, 2 hours later to your room. It's too damn easy and I still prefer farang girls anyway.

You've seen 3 National Parks and you've seen them all... Somehow it's nice here, somehow it's driving me insane. Haven't had a descent conversation for a long time now, guess that's what I miss most.

Anyway, guess I'll try find a job here (got some help doing it) and work here for a while. But I'll not stay here for the rest of my life.
The Hotel dose not accept customer from these countries; China, Israle, India, Russia and Arab Countries.

#30 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:36 PM

The bars got boring after 3 month, now they are fucking boring. Even doing girls from 7/11 got boring. Take them out to dinner, 2 hours later to your room. It's too damn easy and I still prefer farang girls anyway.

You've seen 3 National Parks and you've seen them all... Somehow it's nice here, somehow it's driving me insane. Haven't had a descent conversation for a long time now, guess that's what I miss most.

But I'll not stay here for the rest of my life.

Having done a 7 month stint myself I can relate to much of what you write freebird, and yes I laughed at the 7/11 story having carried out the very same deed on a poor kid at my local shop on 3rd Rd, Pattaya :lol:
However, I always managed to find plenty of farang friends whom I could have a decent intellectual conversation with on a daily basis but then again, I did not spend much time up at the Nissan Factory which is presumably where you must be living :?

#31 freebirdabc

freebirdabc
  • Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:20 PM

Yeah, the company I'm working for is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Except for my boss (who isn't here too much) I'm the only farang here and the Thai you can meet here speak ahm, well, pretty much no English at all.

Guess I'm the only farang within a range of 20km...

So work has pretty much become my only activity during the week (can't even download any tv series cause the internet is too slow).

Got a girl staying with me for about two month now. She's really nice and we're having a lot of fun but e.g. all I can ask her after we saw a movie is "You like it?"
The Hotel dose not accept customer from these countries; China, Israle, India, Russia and Arab Countries.

#32 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:33 PM

some excellent responses there.
intersting that most members who cannot live there are happy to keep it part time, and the ones that do live there wouldnt have it any other way.
my worry is, we all know the buzz of booking a ticket, and counting the days till the flight.
landing in bangers knowing what you are in for.
down to nana, blown away by the amount of lb,s.
but what happens, if you no longer are excited about arriving, its all just "normal".?
then what.?
benidorm.?
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#33 FatboyUK

FatboyUK
  • Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:16 AM

then what.?
benidorm.?

Benidorm? Na mate, Shagalluf! Off there for my leaving do on Tuesday.

If, (And I say If very loosely) it does get that bit boring, then I would like to experience the LB scene in South America. First glance though, shows quality no where near LOS standards.

The way I love Thailand at the mo tho - i cant see it happening anyway.

#34 sublimefolly

sublimefolly
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:39 AM

As usual I'm late:

'I think if i lived in thailand full time I am sure I would become an alcoholic, divorced fat git.'; 'I think you would get easily bored'.
I FEAR THIS.

'For me I would need to have a full time job and a separate "normal" life away from the bars, and only visit nana or Pattaya at the weekends. ' WHILST I EMPATHIZE. I CAN'Y SEE MYSELY GETTING A JOB.

I dont think I would be interested if I waited till I am 65 anyway . BUT - I FEAR THAT BY THEN LIFE WOULD HAVE PASSED ME BY.

More and more I love London, England. Unusually, I suspect (?), art-stuff floats my boat. BUT numerous times for me 3+ weeks in Thailand have just been too short....

I'm now tentatively planning to take a year's career break in 2010. I'd spend it in several SE asian countries; also Japan.

And if I met the ladyboy of my dreams? I'm currently thinking:
She could come back to most times reside with me in the UK - probably Brighton. BUT....why would she want to?

As it happens....I'm beginning to feel that I'm on a mission: To make the being with/loving a ladyboy a viable thing until 'death do us part'.

#35 janne

janne
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:20 AM

It`s not tragic to die, doing what you love.

#36 Automorph

Automorph
  • Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

For me, the "idea" of living in Thailand is far more attractive than the actual prospect of living there full time.

I often thought that an early retirement to LOS would be the greatest thing in the world. In reality, perhaps two to three months a year would be a better time spent for me.

I certainly couldn't see myself living anywhere in Thailand other than BKK or perhaps Chang Mai (as a residence) as the lack of "cultural" resources anywhere else in Thailand is sorely missing. When was the last time anyone saw a great art exhibition, opera, chamber music performance or cultural performance anywhere in Thailand OUTSIDE of BKK? I'm a bit of a culture vulture, and none of the other communities possess what sustains me at home on a daily basis.

There's not a great deal of intellectual capital or its accompanying discourse in Pattaya (no disrespect meant to any of its resident genius pool, however you are few and far between), so that would never be an option for me.

Please don't missunderstand me, I LOVE Thailand, its local flavor and culture, food, people and everything surrounding it. I just don't know if I can give up my way of life home (which even by USA standards would be considered living well) in exchange for the BEST that Thailand has to offer.

The other big issue for me is my work. I don't care to retire, EVER until my mandatory retirement from the university at age 70 (when I become "emeritus") but still don't know if I could live another life.

I cannot go to Thailand, and continue to do my work, certainly at the same level that I do in the US, or Europe or Japan (as no Thai university is doing cutting edge research in my particular field), and I love my work. I'd sooner retire from the more mundane aspects of my life than my work.

That being said, I'm working on taking a sabbatical year and spending it in Thailand (likely BKK or Chang Mai) and take frequent trips to my favorite spots during that year.

Beyond that, I see myself taking one or two short trips during my work year, and spending 1-2 months each summer in LOS, and I think that will make me happy for the time being.

Your mileage may vary.

Auto
Never try and teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci