part time or full time.?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:27 AM

following on from fatboys thread about his 3 year plan.
it is a common question that crops up between my family and friends.
" why dont you just live there.?"
i struggle to answer this question.
apart from the obvious financial implications.
i do wonder if i would be killing the goose that layed the golden egg.?
now, we all enjoy thailand in small doses, or larger doses for the richer fellas, and the facilities it offers.
but if that was to become the norm.?
then what? .
where would you go then? if you were to get bored with thailand.?

although i feel like i am living an existance in the uk, surounded by overweight breeding machines, or footballer wife wanabees ......
it isnt a bad spot to live, and get the funds to finance some serious fun 2 or 3 times a year.
so, is thailand best to be enjoyed part time? or full time.?

disclaimer.
i am interested to hear other members views on the above subject.
if you are a grumpy old man with an axe to grind, not happy with the subject, think we are schoolkids etc..........
dont reply.! it will only get messy.

:roll:
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#2 laptop

laptop
  • Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:40 AM

I for one would not like to live there full time. The frustrations associated with living in LOS full time would drive me mad. In an ideal world I would enjoy to spend a few weeks a year in LOS. The longest I have stayed was 6 weeks. By the end of the 6 weeks I was certainly ready to go home. Ireland is a fun place to live but no sun unfortunatly. :cry: Obviously i still miss the thai food, nights out and of course the ladyboys.

But I have my little bit of thailand here in my home so I have thai food when ever I want. :wink: I think if i lived in thailand full time I am sure I would become an alcoholic, divorced fat git. :cry: I find the constant ego massaging and drinking with hookers brings out the worst in me.

The work I do means I may have the option to move to South East Asia in the future. I think that is what I would like. Similar to the way Matchman has it. Close enough to head over at will but not have it constantly in your face. :lol:
As kids we're not taught how to deal with success; we're taught how to deal with failure. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. If at first you succeed, then what?

#3 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:42 AM

Nope , i don´t wanna live there fulltime. Maybe i had the urge before my long stay, but now i know. It´s better to go there 2-3 times a year and maybe sometime do a long stay.
But after 6 months the "magic" was almost gone. The rush to walk into Nana or Walking St. wasn´t there in the end.
Not to mention the everyday things dealing with thais that eventually would drive me mad, or the heat all the time.
I want to appreciate the feeling coming back, in the taxi from Suhwanapuhn going to Nana area, knowing what´s ahead of me, or seing the Xmas neon decorations any time of the year at the "Welcome to Pattaya" gate.
"some see an erotic photo display, me i just hope the hot water soothed her ageing joints."
-boomdraw

#4 laptop

laptop
  • Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:52 AM

I think you hit the nail on the head sev7en. Having to deal with thai's every day would be the pitts. :evil:
As kids we're not taught how to deal with success; we're taught how to deal with failure. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. If at first you succeed, then what?

#5 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:57 AM

DELETED

#6 gaz

gaz
  • Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:08 AM

Laptop I did it for 6 months in 2005/2006 went of crazy adventure but had the best time of my life highs and lows after a while u get sick of walking street/the lbs /gg got bored of the sex scene

In the end i hardly used to visit the place but i tell u one thing met lot of good people and lot of lb friends there what ever anyone says about them when u live on same level as they do u see things difrently and they treat u difrently once they know u,
i gave it a years break before i went back and the magic came back walking around waliking street now a year later i going back again this time i not a tourist on a tourist visa if i want i can get work for up to 6 months stay if i choose if i can find decent work ie working

as a chef and i did check i can get workpermit not a problem if i really wanted to im thinking about more and more at moment thats what this trip is about for myself to see if i could live there for a year at a time without the huge debt when u come home and working for a year just to pay it back the plastic cards im going to try something difrent this time :lol:

#7 Ericthehalfabee

Ericthehalfabee
  • Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:19 AM

If I lived there full time I'm pretty sure I'd burn out and hate it - also I'd never be able to make anything like the money I make in London and I'd prefer not to be one of those guys sitting in a bar counting their pennies and worrying if their beers cost 65 Baht or 85 Baht.

I also enjoy my job and there is no way this job even exists in Thailand.

I would like some more time off but 25 days a year at least means Thailand is something to look forward to and enjoy.

Ideal would probably to work in Singapore - but that's not going to happen anytime soon.
"I can feel an angel sliding up to me"

#8 Phil Lander

Phil Lander
  • Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:41 AM

Its something friends are always asking me and I always come to the same conclusion that it would drive me barmy . I have lived longterm with Thai's and they are on a different planet most of the time .

If I was rich enough to retire early I would'nt mind opening a bar but to be honest I dont have a clue about running a business so would be at the mercy of the Thai's .

I love going back for a holiday and discovering some new joy but what happens when its just the same shit everyday ? I enjoy my friends and sport etc at home so would really miss that life .

So for me its a great place for fun but I would'nt live there.
Phil Lander by name Phillanderer by nature.
The World is my Oyster - Muwhahahahaha!!
A Ladyboy is never early , neither is she ever late . She turns up precisely when she means to.

#9 janne

janne
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:52 PM

It`s not tragic to die, doing what you love.

#10 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:26 PM

Well, ive been here now almost 2 years and i LOVE it. There`s no way i`m going back to the overcrowded, over-taxed, over-competitive (i could rant on and on) UK. I live 200 yds rom a beautiful beach, something i`ve done in my life. It takes me 2 minutes to get to work on my scooter and the drive home at 3 am is along the beachfront. As the cool(ish) night air blows through whats left of my hair i ask myself "does it get any better than this?" Yes, dealing with Thais is the ultimate test of patience, their attitudes never cease to amaze me. Their habits, stupidity, and laziness will keep them in the "developing nation" status for ever - they will never join the wealthy league.
But i`ve made some good friends here, and just as i`m starting to get flabby with too many nights sat in the bar "entertaining" customers, i`m now trying to play some golf again. Ok, only 9 holes the other day, to get acclimatised, after all i`m used to playing in 5 degrees, in a howling gale, wrapped up in waterproofs. But a full 18 is booked next week. And i swim daily in the clean sea - yes its clean here, you Pattaya addicts should note!
And do i ever tire of being surrounded by ladyboys? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING?

#11 zokk

zokk
  • Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:47 PM

In an ideal world I would love to be able to travel to LOS 2 to 3 times a year for a month at a time , but for me its not an ideal world at the moment so I'll just have to take my 2 or 3 weeks once a year and get the rest of my thai fixes by forums like this.

#12 PP

PP
  • Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:53 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci